Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default To pre-tan or not to pre-tan??

That is the question!

I'm sure this has been covered before, but if any of you who are veterans of the beach could help a horribly white, burn very easily northern out, I would appreciate it. We've gotten conflicting stories about pre-tanning before we get there. Does it really help? I've already bought 70 weight sunscreen (90 for my face) because I know I'll need it. We're just wondering. Thanks!

The countdown has begun!

The first time we went to JA we did not pre-tan and both got got a decent sun burn even with the sun screen. On our second trip we did the pre-tan thing and barely got burned at all.

ROCO!

If you're talking about a tanning bed or tanning salon, do some research. Those things have been linked to severely increased risks of skin cancer. This time of the year, unless you're from Florida, Southern California, or the Sahara, you're going to arrive in Jamaica as white as a ghost - just like everyone else.

Go easy on the sun and use plenty of sunscreen and you will enjoy your vacation. Sit out and burn like a piece of white bread and you'll spend several days in pain.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

My wife and I both pre-tan. She tans easy so it is mainly so she will be brown before we get there. I burn easy so it is so I won't burn that I do. I like the stand up beds the best since it gives an all over tan and seems to go faster. We have a lay down bed at home that my wife uses and I will use it some to get started. The main thing is to do it a little at a time and don't over do it.

I just returned from CN, and we were white as ghosts when we arrived. We used SPF 60 waterproof sunscreen 3x per day and did not get burned. We even got a bit of a tan. Most importantly, we avoided burning so that we had a great time. My humble opinion: Save the tanning salon money for souvenirs and use sunscreen instead.

Default Base Tan Myth

A quick search yields plenty of articles like this ...

Think you're protecting your skin before hitting the beach by getting a "base tan" at the tanning salon? The concept is a myth, explains Beatrice Secretan, PhD, of the International Agency for Research on Cancer. "The base tan doesn't protect you. It's similar to a sunscreen protection factor of 2 to 4, which is nothing." So hit the beach with your natural skin color – and plenty of SPF.

We've found that the better we pre-tan, the less we burn. We now tan for about two months before our trips. We're usually very dark by the time we get there, use little sunscreen after the second or third day, and have no problems.

Me and my wife usually start tanning about two months before we leave. I think the whole skin cancer thing is if you tan everyday for a long period of time, but a month out of the year before vacation won't hurt you. I recommend that you do go with some sort of a base tan. I've seen people get really burned while in Jamaica who didn't tan before they came down. The sun is a bit different and stronger there. Good luck in your decision.

The GF and I pre-tan a little by going 6-7 times beginning about 2-1/2 to 3 weeks prior to our trip. We do not pre-tan any other time during the year. Once at Couples, I usually start with SPF 30 and move down to SPF 15 by the end of the vacation. My GF has naturally darker skin than me and she has gone down to SPF 8. We apply the lotion before going out in the sun and reapply often. The only burning problems I've ever had has been a little on my forehead.

My wife and I are going to do a month prior to our trip. I am olive skinned so it doesn't take much for me. We do not tan any other time during the year.

Dustin.....one month?????.....you probably need one SESSION and you will be darker than most people that tan all year.......

If you're looking to get some color just so you're not all pasty white on the beach, why not use a self-tanner? I'm using Jergens Express now, 3 weeks before we arrive. I already got decent color from only applying twice. I too burn very easily. I used SPF30 most of the time and didn't burn at all, in fact I wished I had used 15 so that I would have come home with more color than I did. You do know that anything over SPF35 is a waste, right? It doesn't work any better. Just find a spot on the beach where you can get some shade when you feel like you're getting too much sun. Relax and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by LeeandD View Post
    ... You do know that anything over SPF35 is a waste, right? It doesn't work any better. ...
    While I can't find SPF35 specifically in stores I sure notice a HUGE difference in the effect the sun has on my skin between using SPF30 and SPF50 when I'm in the sun.

I will continue to believe that it is not a waste to use a sunscreen higher than SPF35 as long as my skin continues to tell me so.

ENJOY!!!

My husband and I pre tanned before going in Oct 2009. We pre tanned for about 6-8 weeks though, couple times a week. As I am pretty fair skinned. SO I need to get a base or I will just burn.

But if you dont want to pre tan, and you will avidly apply your sun screen you should be good.
    Amanda & Chris
    Edmonton, AB

"Were Coming HOME with our Jamaican Crew Oct 12, 2011"

Hey Billy if I remember correctly you were darker than me. I go with Megan for moral support and to prevent butt burn on the island...OUCH!

Dustin,
    I agree....butt burn is the worst!!!!
    I think Audra and I are going to start tanning about the first of March. She is way to impatient!! I am so white right now you would not be able to see me if I laid down in a bowl of flour....it would have to be a big bowl, which is another problem, but we can discuss that later....geez I need to get on the treadmill, just not enough time!!!! That is what I need.... a treadmill inside a stand up tanning booth!!!!
    Peace, Love, and Respect
    Billy
    CN 2002, COR 2007, CTI 2009, 2010, 2011
    CTI June 4-15, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by scubajon View Post
    Me and my wife usually start tanning about two months before we leave. I think the whole skin cancer thing is if you tan everyday for a long period of time, but a month out of the year before vacation won't hurt you. I recommend that you do go with some sort of a base tan. I've seen people get really burned while in Jamaica who didn't tan before they came down. The sun is a bit different and stronger there. Good luck in your decision.
    I agree. I always pre-tan before going on vacay, and I've never burned. Those family members who chose not to (often the same ones who gave a lecture on skin cancer, hehe) got burned to a crisp. Burning is actually more harmful to your skin than gradually building up a tan.

Good luck in whatever you do

well, the question is to tan or not to tan. . the question really is brown fat or white fat? i'm hittin the gym hard but with 49 days left, i'll be showing up with brown fat, sooo if your there in 49 days. . watch for me at the bar i'll be drinking one while deciding what to order next.

Billy you should patent the treadmill inside a tanning booth...I bet people would pay good money for that...we could open a place together...Tan and Get Fit...or 2fur...did you and Audra start tanning yet?

In fashion they say black is thining...my theory is the darker I get the less I have to work out...bring on the tanning bed at least I can do that laying down.

My observations...

1st trip: Little base tan. Some redness and soreness everyday - even with liberal use of sunscreen.

2nd trip: Good base tan. No burning at all. Moderate to little sunscreen use. Wore bathing suit every day.

3rd trip: Good base tan. Spent every day on TI. Mederate to no sunscreen use. No burning at all - EXCEPT the little triangular area above my tailbone that doesn't get tan in the tanning beds. It was red and sore the first couple days.

Yeah. I'd say the tanned parts of my body were much better protected against the sun.
    Last edited by BruceandKelli; March 18th, 2010 at 09:48 PM.

Bruce and Kelli
    Fort Worth, TX
    CN 2006, 2008
    CTI 2009, 2010, 2011
    CSA 2014!

Im white as a ghost 6 feet and bald, but didnt burn
    Make sure you sunblock alot!

What about those of us who just can't tan? I freckle and burn. Sunscreen, shade, and cover ups for me.

Default Yes Pretan!

you dont want to ruin your vacation by being in major pain...my husband didnt tan before we left and he was sorry the first 3 days we were there!
    Chris & Heather

UPDATE: Got back from CSS last Thursday. What a beautiful place. We ventured onto SSB and really enjoyed it. So much so that we never made it to the textile beach or pool! We decided not to pre-tan because of time constraints before the trip, but have learned that we should have. Even using the 70 SPF I burned, but not that bad. However, I really think pre-tanning would have helped. Next year though, we will be prepared!

We're 13 days away from our second visit to CN. Last year we didn't pre-tan and one of us had a minor burn one day on the AN beach. This year we're pre-tanning.

We're going easy, doing what is considered at the tanning salon as "half sessions", or reduced time in the tanning machine every 4th or 5th day for about a month. We're a bit darker, but nothing dramatic.

When we're back, we will post an update on how helpful this was.

ENJOY!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast