Default Layover in Chicago

I really want to book an American Airlines flight that leaves MoBay @ 1:40, but that only gives us a 2 & 1/2 layover in Chicago...is that enough time to get through customs?

Thanks for the help

2.5 hrs is enough time. I did Memphis customs in 20 min this last trip, but I do NOT advise that.

Even at O'Hare, a 2 1/2 hour layover should be plenty, barring weather delays, then all bets are off.

The only time we've ever flown a return trip through O'Hare (Dec2007), Immigration and Customs were pretty good... luggage took a long time, though, in between. Still 2-1/2 is plenty of time, unless, as Bob&Judy say, you're late getting in for some reason.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

We have always taken direct flights in the past so I am not sure how customs works when you have a layover. We are leaving Las Vegas and taking three (3!!) flights to get there and back. There was just nothing goo for a reasonable price. If we leave Las Vegas and then have two layovers are we considered "international" from the very beginning? Do we need to be there extra early? What about on the way back? We go through customs at the first layover I am guessing from this thread, right?

Make that one layover on the way back. We have 2 hr 20 minutes in Dallas, will that be ok? If not I guess we will stay the night in Dallas! lol

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    We have always taken direct flights in the past so I am not sure how customs works when you have a layover. We are leaving Las Vegas and taking three (3!!) flights to get there and back. There was just nothing goo for a reasonable price. If we leave Las Vegas and then have two layovers are we considered "international" from the very beginning? Do we need to be there extra early? What about on the way back? We go through customs at the first layover I am guessing from this thread, right?
    No. On the way to Jamaica, you wouldn't hit immigraion/customs until you get to Jamaica - your first stop in a new country. From my past trips with a layover, we left out of the normal terminal. Not sure how your airport is set up, but in Chicago, at O'Hare, there is a separate international terminal. We would only board our initial flight there were it a nonstop flight to another country.

On the way back, you will go through immigraion and customs at the first point of entry back in the states, so whatever airport you fly into first on the return.