Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Adults only, please!

OK... time to be the grown-up... someone has to, and Couples IS an "Adults Only" resort chain. Seeing Randymon's thread proposing a pay for room preference option kind of set me off. I've slept on it (that's what adults do), and given it a lot of thought. I've decided that there is no way to say what (I feel) needs to be said without ticking someone off, but here goes.

First, for those who have not been to Couples, it is generally true that the rooms are categorized, as is done with many resort chains. Once inside your room, you can close the door and windows, look around you, and be assured that your neighbors' room will look pretty much the same. At SweptAway (our experience), this is particularly true... the rooms within a category, indeed between some categories, are pretty much cookie cutter. Your neighbor's room is not "bigger, better, nicer" than yours, or vice versa.

Once outside your room, not much changes. Each room is the same as others in their respective category. Nothing about any comparable room makes it "bigger, better, nicer" than the one next to it. When your neighbors step out of their room, they are getting the same view of the beach, the ocean, the gardens, the palm trees, and so on, as you get when you step out of yours, and yes, you still paid as much or as little as your neighbors.

I'm going to offer one, and only one, caveat to this scolding missive. It IS perfectly understandable that certain needs should be accommodated. Those that are unable to negotiate stairs should, indeed, be assigned a ground floor accommodation within their selected booking class (or better, per Couples policy). You'll get no argument from me, an adult, on that one.

Finally, let me add that the photos of the accommodations throughout the Couples brochures and websites are of actual accommodations. The only thing airbrushed on those photographs are the people. Everything else is real... don't doubt that one bit!

So please... grow up; be an adult... don't stress about whether your room on a second floor or in a particular building is going to offer somewhat more or less (in any way) than the one two buildings over or the one below yours, or the one above yours. Its not. Your Atrium suite is the same... your Beachfront Verandah suite is the same... your GreatHouse Verandah suite is the same. There is no "best"... for that matter, there is no "better". If you like the look of an Atrium Suite, book it. If you want to be right on the beach, book something that says "Beachfront" in the room classification... its that simple!

Now, you can commence flaming away. I'm an adult, and I can take it. And Randymon... thanks for all you and your staff do!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Funny, all I said on this topic was to keep things the way they are and that doesn't even get posted. What's up with that ? Where's my notification that my post was denied ? Randy ? Sean ? WHAT'S UP WITH THE SELECTIVE CENSORSHIP ?
    nobody's favorite poster

Chris,

I agree with what you said. We all need to grow up and not be
    demanding. I couldn't say it any better than what you said.

Barbara

I totaly agree w/you and well said !!

Chris~ Dont you have a "favorite" room?

Chris,

Requesting a room floor location or an exact room has nothing to do with being an adult. My wife is uncomfortable being on the ground floor for good personal reasons. Requesting a 2nd or 3rd floor location is reasonable solution for us. Everyone has different values where it comes to room locations. Some don't care about location, others care very much. The fact that Couples Management is looking into addressing peoples requests, shows once again why people return over and over.

I appreciate the question by Randymon and hope he continues to quiz customers on their desires.

Jay

Personally, I think that was brilliantly and eloquently stated, Chris. No flaming from yours truly here.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

OK... time to be the grown-up... someone has to, and Couples IS an "Adults Only" resort chain.

WOW- I slept on that one and decided not to say anything at all!!

Well put Chris, I do beg to differ on the older section (any room w/o veranda in the description) as a repeater myself and an "adult" there are some proximity issues that are real in these areas. Some like to be closer to some things and some not so close. Only someone who has been there could know, mearly by moving one building could make a difference in your vacation none are deal breakers but they could exist. But you are correct the rooms are identical and all are great, but just the flow of people around the resort could make a difference. Now I am going to put my big boy pants on and wait 48 days.

Joe

chris, i have read so many of your other posts and I agree with the above post as well. I like that randymon listens when people talk and that they ask us what we think. I would never pay money for a certain room personally because I could be in a tent on the beach with my hubby and still be happy in paradise. The only bad thing about this MB is the people that sometimes freak out about if the pillows are fluffy and what the room view is.....your in paradise who cares. We americans are so pampered it makes me kinda crazy when i read about the silly things people worry about espically when there are others around the world who would love to have my humble life. Complete with, a roof over my head, a full belly, and warm clothes on my back,and a vacation in paradise. I know others will say that it is okay for people to want different things than me and I agree. It is those that are ungrateful for the things they have be given that frusterate me. Hand on tight chris, i feel the storm brewing. See you in paradise.....ill be the one in the tent on the beach.

You nailed it! Thank you!

Chris, while people may or may not agree with your assessment that all rooms within a category are physically the same, there can also be other unrelated reasons for specific requests, such as the physical limitations of the guest, as you mentioned. Another reason may be an emotional desire for a specific room, such as a room that the couple previously had on their honeymoon. Whatever the reason may be, if they want to pay an extra fee for their request, it doesn't really concern me so I'm not going to stress out about it. Live and let live.

How dare you be a mature adult and speak your mind!!! I agree with you 100% Grow up and if you happen to get to the resort and your favorite room happens to be available good for you!

Cubismo,

There was no other post, nothing was denied or deleted.
    Regards,
    Seandymon
    Romance Rewards and Preferred Agency Program
    Couples Resorts!

[QUOTE=Chris;51723]So please... grow up; be an adult... don't stress about whether your room on a second floor or in a particular building is going to offer somewhat more or less (in any way) than the one two buildings over or the one below yours, or the one above yours. Its not. Your Atrium suite is the same... your Beachfront Verandah suite is the same... your GreatHouse Verandah suite is the same. There is no "best"... for that matter, there is no "better". If you like the look of an Atrium Suite, book it. If you want to be right on the beach, book something that says "Beachfront" in the room classification... its that simple!

Well said! and love the sarcasm in the last sentence. Also part of being an adult: coping with the disappointment of not getting the room you requested, realizing you're in Jamaica, and GETTING OVER IT (all while treating Couples employees with dignity, respect and utmost kindness, of course).

Chris -- I couldn't agree more. We are Platinum repeater guests with another hotel chain where DH stays on business regularly. When we check into one of their hotels, we may approach the concierge and REQUEST a certain room type. High floor, away from elevator, pool view, etc. And if that is available, we usually get it. Sometimes, they say "Sorry we don't have that for you this time." No problem.

I don't think anyone is arguing that you can request something -- upon check-in. My argument is that you shouldn't EXPECT anything. Always causes problem.

Kudos on your comments Chris... agree totally here.

Pay for the room category you want. We love Couples because it doesn't matter how much money you have, everyone is treated the same (wonderfully)...you can't tip to get extra service etc.. this would change that in my opinion...

I believe it should be left as is.. you can request and if available you get it... 'nuf said

Being adults, let's play like grown-ups.

First, I believe this is proposed as an optional program for those that wish to pay for it. If implemented I assume it would eliminate the drama at the front desk of a guests not getting the room they want at the time of sign in. If they want a room, pay the fee up front. Otherwise it is understood you will be assigned a room available at the time of arrival.

Second, I don't think there is a wrong or right on this issue. As long as those of us not requiring a specific room are not burdened with additional costs to subsidise any loss of revenue to Couples due to rooms standing empty on reserve status, it does not appear to do us any harm to make such an option available.

I agree with Chris as far as not fretting about room location. It doesn't matter a whit to me really. But I disagree that it should not matter to anyone. The fact that the idea was floated at all indicates that there are people, apparently many people, that do care. I don't claim to understand the reasoning for needing a certain room or location. But I also defer to those that hold such needs. As adults, let's allow for some disagreement without an undo amount of hand wringing or condescension on either side.

With respect, brother.

Well said Chris! We agree wholeheartedly.

Quite frankly this whole idea leaves a bad taste in my mouth similar to airlines charging for checked baggage, and add'l services you pay for when staying at the S resorts which is why I have yet to stay there. This is simple customer service if you can accommodate the customer you do, if you cam't you don't. Train the staff to handle both situations properly end of story.

Thank you Chris. Very well stated.

We are long time repeaters and sometimes there is an upgrade for us, sometimes not. Do we stay bummed out? I don't think so. From the time we get up in the morning, around sunrise, until we go to bed at night, we spend less than three hours in the room. We have lots of "memories" from certain rooms. If we can't get back to revisit some of those moments, then we will just make new memories in the room we have.

richie

Quote Originally Posted by Cubismo View Post
    Funny, all I said on this topic was to keep things the way they are and that doesn't even get posted. What's up with that ? Where's my notification that my post was denied ? Randy ? Sean ? WHAT'S UP WITH THE SELECTIVE CENSORSHIP ?
    Hi Cubismo,
    Your post is in the "how much would you pay for a specifis room etc" thread .

What gets me is that guests take out their frustration on the front desk. How dare they! The staff are just doing their job and if the guest did their research, they would know that specific rooms are not guaranteed. Also their if they didn't book with Couples, they need to contact their travel agent, again not take it out on overworked staff.
    Vicky

Nice Chris. No flames or arrows from me! If we ever meet, I'll buy you a rumpunch my friend! Yum! Razzl

Having a discussion and giving opinions about the resort's proposed changes sounds like something adults would do.

Making black and white, tunnel-vision judgements about what should and shouldn't be important to other vacationers and then telling them all to "grow up" does not equate to maturity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast