Default Random thoughts on cost increases

Ok, I have thought long and hard about this for the past month or so specially since Couples announced the recent price increases, and the complaints following the announcement.

As a 7 yr repeater we really do enjoy couples and look forward to coming back. Yes, I consider ourselves blessed. Going back through our records, the daily cost in the past 7 years have increased at a smaller percentage than income has increased, so I am lucky. I understand others may not be as lucky.

However, I also understand what items make up costs for couples, and many of the major costs such as wages, depreciation, insurance, etc. there is nothing that we as family members can do about.

However, in the past few years I have seen things that we as guests do and can correct that do add cost to couples. Please do not take offense, this is not meant to say everyone does this, or these things, just a simple reminder to all.

Our list of $$$$$$ waste

1. Food costs couples $ and while everyone should enjoy all you can, do not try to see how much you can load on a plate if you have no intention to eat it. I can not count the number of plates I have seen with more food or desserts left on them than the normal person would take.

2. Unlimited drinks does not mean order a drink, take a sip, forget where you put it down, and then order another one. The number of glasses I see 3/4 full and wasted is a crime.

3. I love the concept of bottled water at CN. However, the number of bottles never opened or open just for one swallow, then left on the beech is a crime.

4. Beach towels, I see no reason for people to turn the beach towel in 5 - 6 times a day. The laundry for those has got to be expensive.

5. Sheets, I do not know many people that change sheets and pillow cases every day at home, why do it here. I know Couples is going green and offer the option, I wish more people would take advantage of it.

I really hesitate on this last one,

I think Couples pays a nice amount for the evening entertainment provided. I really feel sorry for the entertainers sometimes at the poor quantity of guests watching the entertainment. While I respect everyone has different tastes, if the entertainment is not to guests liking, we need to give couples feedback so they can either find other entertainment, or decide to save money and not provide it,

OK, thanks for letting me vent, and I apoligise if this upset anyone.

Good points! Thanks!

i am with you! having also been blessed and have been to CSA 28 times and going back in a few weeks, i have also seen the waste and sometimes " i dont care attitude" because its all included, i only wish i could give the left overs that are wasted to the employees that have very little, having had the chance to visit peoples homes of the employees we take so much for granted.
    one could only hope that other guests would finally figure out that " they are home " and maybe some of the waste would subdue a little bit.
    one love, waynef

Quote Originally Posted by Steve & Cindy View Post
    Our list of $$$$$$ waste

1. Food costs couples $ and while everyone should enjoy all you can, do not try to see how much you can load on a plate if you have no intention to eat it. I can not count the number of plates I have seen with more food or desserts left on them than the normal person would take.

2. Unlimited drinks does not mean order a drink, take a sip, forget where you put it down, and then order another one. The number of glasses I see 3/4 full and wasted is a crime.

3. I love the concept of bottled water at CN. However, the number of bottles never opened or open just for one swallow, then left on the beech is a crime.

4. Beach towels, I see no reason for people to turn the beach towel in 5 - 6 times a day. The laundry for those has got to be expensive.

5. Sheets, I do not know many people that change sheets and pillow cases every day at home, why do it here. I know Couples is going green and offer the option, I wish more people would take advantage of it.
    Well said!

As far as the wasted food and drink - it is unfortunate that people don't see this when they are doing it. My experience has noticed if it is "free" then people take it whether they not it or not - it's human nature, unfortunately. We're proud to say if we pile up our plates with 2x the normal food volume we eat it all. And come home with the pounds to show for our efforts.

I have hated the idea of water bottles other than the idea of having them in the room but if the pitcher is full of ice/water even that isn't an issue. Many times I ask the bartender for a glass of water to help conserve the planet. When I heard about the bottles at TI I was hoping to see them at all Couples resrts.

As far as beach towels - I had no idea you could even turn them in more than 1x a day. Shameful that people would turn them in more!
    ... it keepsh me shane

I am in full agreement with you. We are at CTI now, and it is shame the way folks think they are entitled to waste because of what they are paying.

If you don't want to eat it all, don't put in on your plate. If you don't want to drink it all, don't ask for it.

Another note: Unless you bring your mother with you, pick-up after yourselves. The staff works hard enough to see that you have your every desire met, walk around spotless and beautiful grounds, so don't leave your mess behind. Take the towels to the recepticle for rewashing; don't leave them on your chair for someone else to pick up. I see too many half-drunk glasses of whatever perched in unlikely places. How hard is it to take your empty to the bar?

Let us all respect eachother, and that includes the staff at your favorite Couples resort. Use your head. If you can help to cut down on costs for them, it will surely funnel down to you.

Whew, I'm done...Sun_princess

Steve & Cindy -

These are not just great suggestions for improved behavior to benefit the bottom line at Couples; they should be watchwords for lifestyle changes we all should be making in our daily lives.

The point you make that most impresses me is the one you made about the bottled water. Here in our community, where I walk the 2.5 miles to work whenever I can, I observe far too often the random plastic bottles of water, juices and sodas tossed on our streets. I have a phrase to explain this... "Pigs raising pigs". I use that phrase to offend the offenders as harshly and directly as I can. I'm totally intolerant of this behavior. It is a behavior that appears to be so ingrained into some folks that it would seem to be coded into their DNA. I don't think its something that folks do on the beach because they feel "its included". I'm afraid its far more serious than that.

Thanks for pointing out these "behaviors" as well as their potential costs. I only hope that folks look at themselves and see that they can not only effect change while at their favorite home away from home (by decreasing costs), but they can also save money at home to use for, oh, I don't know... another trip to Couples?
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Chris, I tend to read and agree with most of your posts and I agree you are spot on this time. It is really just using common courtesy, and common sense (people littering really bug me too and I consider that very much a lack of common courtesy to others...no one wants to look at trash) People need to make sure this wonderful staff is treated as nicely and respectfully as they treat us too. Just because they work there, doesn't give anyone the right to badger, belittle or just be that difficult. We all want to be treated right...you wouldn't want someone at work talking badly to you or being rude, even though it happens and you should treat people the way you want to be treated.

Chris, I live in Oregon, plastic water bottles have a 5 cent deposit on them, just like soft drink bottles. There is less litter.

We actually didn't partake in any entertainment while we were at CSA other than the beach party which was actually I the palms because of rain. So I don't think it's necessary every night. But I don't expect or see why Couples would cut the price when the demand is still so high. It's business and business is good right now.

I can't afford to go every year and my next trip might actually be my last for a long time because we will be having kids and being busier. But while we might not be able to afford to go as much as others, I still think it's the best deal out there for the price. I know I won't find anything better so even if the price goes up a little, it's ok.

Cindi -

Oregon has much to offer in terms of an example to the rest of the country. I'm pretty sure there are other states that now do the same, but I seem to recall that Oregon was on the forefront of this.

Kudos!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

In these times of recession it makes sense not to waste food or drink.Whether it is "free" or not there is no point in loading up your plate to waste it as you can go back for more should you want it. Thinking about buying and using food at home, will, as someone rightly pointed out, leave more money in the kitty for another trip to Couples, believe me I love my food but only buy what you can use or freeze! Rant over!

Default Thank you so much

WOW, I was really concerned about starting this post. I expected to get some responses like, " I am on vacation and I am spending lots, so I can do what I want, etc. etc." Much like comments I have had when I made these points at other places.

Another reason we love couples, not just the resort and staff, but also the people that are there with us, such a clasy group we have. The few of you we have met on our many trips we are proud to call friends, the others, we cannt wait to meet you.

Steve and Cindy

This is a good topic, glad you brought it up.

My hubby and I just returned from our first trip to CN, and of course we loved it. But I have to share something that Couples does that I did NOT expect and think maybe they can scale back on: full size liquor for the mini bars in the rooms.

When we filled out the form asking what kind of alcohol we wanted in our mini-bar, we checked gin and bourbon, thinking we would get one airplane sized bottle of each, to make ourselves one drink a day. That would have been plenty.

When the full sized bottles showed up we decided not to open them, with the hope that by not tampering with them they could be taken down to the bar and used to benefit many. We didn't know whether by opening the bottles the 90% leftover after we made one drink would need to be discarded or what.

I think Couples could pare way back on the amount of liquor provided in mini-bars and save some money.

GreatLakesLove