Default 3 Quick Questions

Trying not to repeat questions that I've read the answer to before. What a great board this is. However, I do have 3 questions for the experts and repeaters as I finalize plans for our April 3rd trip to CSA.

1. I've seen some conflicting responses here and can't find the specifics on their website. What are the current baggage fee charges for US Airways?

2. I've seen many posts suggesting to bring a bugspray with DEET. Since I did go ahead and reserve a Dinner on the Beach, I wanted to inquire as to what brand might be the best based on yor experiences. I don't want to pay all that money to get eaten alive with bugs.

3. Finally, just out of curiosity, when (approximately) are the sunsets in April? I guess I don't want to make a bunch of restaurant reservations or whatever and miss 'em. I was also wondering if the 7:00 Dinner on the Beach was during or after sunset.

Thanks again to everyone.

us airway are charging $ 25.00 first bag. They aren't counting a flight to Jamiaca as international. But if you join their "club" your first 2 bags (under 50lbs) are free. To join the club is free too. Thier website was very user friendly.

1. They have a handy chart here: http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...epolicies.html

2. I'm a fan of Ultrathon because it's formulated so the DEET stays on the surface of the skin and doesn't penetrate. If you are just concerned about protection, Deep Woods Off works well and is easier to find.

3. Here is a tool you can use for sunrise/sunsets: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...omy.html?n=120 It's based on Kingston, so figure sunset a little later in Negril, being further west.

I can only answer number 2. I work for a company that makes insect repellent. I can tell you that DEET is DEET, no matter what brand you choose. Be sure to read the active ingredients on the front of the label. It will tell you how much DEET is in the product. You can get as low as 7% up to 100%. I recommend at least 15%, but no more than 40%. ANY brand, it is all the same chemical, and it is all regulated by the EPA. Also, I would pick the unscented variety. Be sure to put it in a ziploc in your luggage. Cabin pressure tends to make everything leak. You can also buy the wipes, they travel very well!!
    Hope this helps!! Have a great trip!

My dermatologist taught me to make a mix of one third Skin so Soft bath oil, one third alcohol and one third water. I keep it in a spray bottle and have to use it every day when I run in the mornings here in FL for about 6 months out of the year as the mosquitoes are so bad. I also spray my dog down with it (vet approved) and it works for both of us.

Here are the sunset times for April in Negril(and all other months too).

http://www.thesunrisetimes.com/Carib...pril/2010.aspx
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

Quote Originally Posted by redinthehead View Post
    us airway are charging $ 25.00 first bag. They aren't counting a flight to Jamiaca as international. But if you join their "club" your first 2 bags (under 50lbs) are free. To join the club is free too. Thier website was very user friendly.
    When you say their "club" are you talking about Dividend Miles? We flew US Air in November when we went to Couples. When we came back and knew we were going to make regular trips back to Couples I joined US Air Dividend Miles for future trips. If I had kept the receipts from the November trip we could have gotten credit for that but I didn't. I didn't know that the first two bags were free.....what does it take to get that? I don't see that in the information on it. Just want to follow up and make sure, because two bags are all we usually have.

thanks

Thanks for the replies. And, according to the website anyway, you can't just join the Dividend Miles Club (which is free) to get the free baggage fees. You have to be a Dividend Miles Preferred Member, which you can buy into for a fee ($249 it looks like) or by accumulating mileage. Now I was able to locate my dividend miles # from my first job about 15 years ago and print a new card (amazing what you can do when you keep your passwords), but based on what I read on the website, only the preferred members don't have to pay the $25 fee. I'm gonna give it a shot though....the innocent looking "oh I thought Dividend Miles members didn't have to pay the fee" with the puppy dog look during check-in.

And a chart for sunsets....the internet is a great thing, huh? And I could care less about the sunrises. I'll be fast asleep. My wife might be up though.

gopanthers.....thanks for replying to my thread, I know I kind of jumped in on yours. I looked at the regular but not the preferred level. I don't think I travel enough to pay $249 when it costs me 50 bucks for two bags. But thanks for following up on that. I may try the puppy dog eyes too and claim ignorance....let me know if it works for you and I will know whether to do it or not.

Hope you have a GREAT time. I know you will.

cleversole, Oh no problem at all. Glad we were able to get an answer on this. I'm like you. I no longer travel enough anymore....not even close...to justify paying for the upgrade. I'll just pay the 50 bucks when the time comes I guess. I'll let ya know if I somehow sneak it through though. I'll be writing a review of my trip once we're done.

I have to jump in here since I fly a lot on USAirways. Two very different things are being confused here.

One - Dividend Miles is the USAirways frequent flier program. I am a Gold member, which means that I don't have to pay to check my first two bags to Jamaica. However, if you do not have preferred status, no "puppy dog" look is gonna keep them from charging you that money. I've seen it time and again, they love that new stream of revenue. And they will charge you extra if that one bag is over 50 pounds. And yes, I get stuck with paying all of those blasted fees when I fly airlines other than USAirways.

USAirways Club - most airlines have "clubs" that you can join that entitle you to visit their members only airport lounges. These fees start at $259/year. These are physical lounges located in the airports. You don't get any special consideration on baggage fees just because you belong to the Club. You can also purchase a day pass to most airline clubs, which is a great option if you have problems with your flight or have a long layover. The day pass options run anywhere from $30-$50. They have personnel there that can assist you with any flight problems that you may be having.

Quote Originally Posted by BobandJudy View Post
    I have to jump in here since I fly a lot on USAirways. Two very different things are being confused here.

One - Dividend Miles is the USAirways frequent flier program. I am a Gold member, which means that I don't have to pay to check my first two bags to Jamaica. However, if you do not have preferred status, no "puppy dog" look is gonna keep them from charging you that money. I've seen it time and again, they love that new stream of revenue. And they will charge you extra if that one bag is over 50 pounds. And yes, I get stuck with paying all of those blasted fees when I fly airlines other than USAirways.

USAirways Club - most airlines have "clubs" that you can join that entitle you to visit their members only airport lounges. These fees start at $259/year. These are physical lounges located in the airports. You don't get any special consideration on baggage fees just because you belong to the Club. You can also purchase a day pass to most airline clubs, which is a great option if you have problems with your flight or have a long layover. The day pass options run anywhere from $30-$50. They have personnel there that can assist you with any flight problems that you may be having.
    Bob and Judy, thanks for clarfying. We belong to the dividend miles at the basic level, but just joined. I really only joined to collect the miles we will travel to jamaica so that maybe one day we can upgrade. We don't fly often enough to worry about the preferred status and will pay the baggage fees......but thanks for the clarification.

Thanks Bob. I appreciate the info. What I hear you telling me, based on my lowly status with US Air, is that I'm gonna have to pay the baggage fees. No biggie. Just wanted to make sure I had the right info. Not gonna let something like that ruin my trip.