Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Question for the ladies

Would CN be a proper venue to "pop the question"?? If so, would you wait 6 to 12 mos to go back for the wedding??

Thanks,

Doug

LOL What are her choices if she doesn't wait? I haven't been to CN, only CSA but I would say they both would be a good place. If she is really anxious she might want to drag you over to the wedding gazebo right then. After a few minutes you start to realize how short 6-12 months really is when there is so much to do. Our engagement is also very short and it is now starting to really catch up to me. I am sure she would be willing to wait. Plus it would be fun to scout out the location and observe what others are doing for their weddings while you are there.

CN would be a perfect place at which to propose. You won't be the first to do so, and if you have something particular in mind, the staff would be happy to help you put together something special. If you enjoy your CN experience so much that you want to return and marry there, I'm sure you won't regret it.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Absolutely! 6 months - I hate long engagements.
    ... it keepsh me shane

AB-SO-LUTELY! I think it would be a wonderful venue! No question! You have the beach, the restaurants - anywhere! I'm not sure what you're thinking, but I was on the receiving end of the very same question while staying at Couples.

Here is my story. We usually stay at CN but decided to try CSA and split our trip in 2007. My now husband brought the ring with him and proposed on the second night there. We went to dinner at Lemongrass and were sat at a great table on the balcony. We were through our main course and the resort photographer was coming around. He waited until the photographer got to our table and when the photographer asked us to stand against the edge of the balcony, my husband said to him, "Hold on, I've got a pose for you." He came to my side of the table and got down on one knee. The photographer began clicking pictures like crazy. My husband knows how much I like photos, so this couldn't have been more perfect! We were both in tears and everyone clapped for us. Some even came to our table to congratulate us. I will never forget it!

You make what you want of it.

As for waiting, that's more of a personal decision. Whatever you decide will be right for you.

two words.....HELL YES!!!

I think it would be a great to ask her while you are at CN. I'll bet you could really surprise her with the help of the staff. They are great at making romance happen. Of course if you love CN and want to go back I don't think anytime would be too soon to go back for the wedding. Good luck. It sounds like an awesome idea. I'll bet people on here will give you some good ideas on how to do it. Make sure it's a surprise. Girls love to be surprised, especially if it is a proposal.

Sounds good to me!!! Any Couples resort would do!!
    Kristen

Yes, yes, yes!!!

Thank you ladies for the responses...I would have bet a grand there would not be any negative responses...

This is a difficult decision for me because I went through a very difficult divorce 5 years ago, and promised myself I would never get married again.
    But then Sue Anne came into my life and she is wonderful. We are celebrating 5 years of being together at CN and I thought it might be time to try again. She has stood by me and is so understanding about the way I feel about marriage. She deserves more from me. As I get older (54 in April) I worry about her future if something happened to me.

Thank you all for your advice!!!!

Doug

Doug, my husband and I met when he was 59 and I was 48 and we both had no desire to get married again. We have now been happily married for three years and I am so happy that I found him and was old enough to really appreciate him for who he is. With age comes wisdom hey say and I am choosing to buy into that.

Best of luck and much happiness!

CG

Doug, your situation is so very similar to mine (if you have time, please go read my post for the Valentine's stories at the top of the board, I just posted last night, so it will be the last post). When Karen and I had first gotten together in 2005, we also talked about the fact that neither one of us wanted to get married again. But as we grew closer, and fell more in love, it made so much sense to have that protection and provision for each other, should something happen. We look back on our wedding as the best day of our lives. It leaves us with a feeling of completeness.

To those of us who have a wonderful love enter our lives in the later years, it just makes the whole world brighter, and makes you appreciate so much what you have found in each other, because life is short, and we need to make the best of every magical moment that comes our way.

Best of luck to you and Sue Anne. You are about to create some very special moments in your lives! She will love it, and will love you for it. After the proposal, don't wait too long for the return for the wedding! That way, you can go back to Couples for your anniversary that much sooner!!
    Paul

I highly suggest working with the staff. They really know how to do it up right when it comes to romance. There are lots of options and the staff can let you know them all. You could even send an email to get the ball rolling.

Congrats!
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

I knew that I would be doing this when I booked our trip in May! Now with all of the good advice here I know I am doing the right thing!!

CG - I agree that wisdom does indeed come with age!! I am smart enough now to know a good thing when I see it!! She is the woman for me!!

Paul - Wow...your story is soooo similar to mine. I met Sue Anne online also!! I am not one to go to the "meat markets" so that was my way to meet new people.

So, now that I'm going to do this I have a little problem. About 3 years ago I was in St. John's Virgin Islands and decided to buy Sue Anne a "commitment ring", very similar to an engagement ring.

So when I pop the question should I buy another engagement ring or just give her the wedding ring??? I'm confused on what to do?

Doug

Hi Doug, from a woman's perspective, maybe Sue Anne could wear the commitment ring on her right hand and you could buy her a new engagement ring, since it will symbolize a new chapter in both your lives. However, if she already loves the ring she has then maybe just present her with the wedding ring, she can put that with her original ring when you get married. Just a few ideas.

Karen

We also met online - he was to be my last date for a while. So glad I did not take a break from online dating until after I met him!

Since she already has a commitment ring, I would not buy another engagement ring unless you think she has a desire for a more traditional engagement ring (assuming this one is not - do not think I have ever seen one).

I love jewelry that looks vintage and I have one ring that my husband gave me when he proposed. It is a style that is meant to be worn alone so I never had a band. I love my ring, it is completely unique. So not sure how to advise you but I suspect you know her taste enough to know what she would really love to wear. If not, perhaps her best girlfriend could help. My husband went to my BFF for help when choosing mine.

Default blueEyEs

Your "story" brought tears to my eyes! I am like you and love photos! I can't imagine a more appropriate proposal than that! Kudos to your husband!

Honestly...if you have the money, I say YES, buy an engagement ring!! We're getting married in less than 4 weeks at CN. It's our second marriage as well and we both went through awful divorces. We both consider each other our angel; my fiance is truly a gift from God.

I had requested my fiance not spend the money on an engagement ring when we were discussing marriage because I thought it an unneccessary purchase and was happy just buying a nice wedding band. But, he surprised me with a ring that is so "me". I honestly would have been happy if there had been no ring. But, when I wear it, and maybe because it's the only piece of "fine" jewelry he's bought for me, it is very special. I look at it as a symbol of his love, that proposal, and the wonderful sparkling future of amazing things to come. I love it. It was very important to him that I had "a ring I deserved".

However, if you are on a tight budget and it's not practical to spend more money (you would go into debt), you have discussed this already with Sue Anne at some point and you're sure she won't be disappointed in not receiving an engagement ring...not going with another ring at engagement may be practical since you had already bought the commitment ring. You have to listen to your heart on this one, because only you know Sue Anne and her personality. Some women would be upset at not receiving a ring at proposal. I knew a guy whose partner wanted nothing less than a carat because all of her friends had carat diamonds.

You would want to have no regrets about your decision so follow your instincts on this one.

I had actually thought of buying a less expensive ring to use when I ask her, because she really loves the "commitment" ring. Then she could wear the new one on her right hand.
    Am I coming across as cheap???
    Thank you all for the advice!!!
    Doug

Doug -- the wonderful staff at CN can definitely help you with this. My DH proposed in Otaheite in 2007. We were married the following year on the beach, and just celebrated our one year anniversary, also at CN! If you look in the past photos contests winners, the photo of the dessert proposal is there.

Mike was so sneaky - - he had bought the ring the previous March, contacted CN in October and had the whole thing planned before we arrived in December. Kind of tricky since we live together, but he pulled it off. I almost found the ring box in the luggage!

Just ask at the guest relations desk when Sue Anne is not around -- Destin should be able to work his magic to help with anything you need.

Best of everything to the both of you!

Linda

Quote Originally Posted by dougnsueanne View Post
    I had actually thought of buying a less expensive ring to use when I ask her, because she really loves the "commitment" ring. Then she could wear the new one on her right hand.
    If she really loves her ring, that is exactly what you should do. Choose something she will love that she can wear every day on her right hand - I have one of those and really enjoy wearing it.

CG

Doug, that's the perfect idea, you need something to give her with your proposal and that way she can keep the ring she loves as her engagement ring, brilliant!

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by dougnsueanne View Post
    Am I coming across as cheap???
    Thank you all for the advice!!!
    Doug
    I think she should be excited about her engagement ring. Think about it: you proposal to her in a romantic setting. She's overwhelmed. She shares the news with some guests she met. They ask to see the ring. She says, "Oh, it's nothing; I'm not even going to wear it on my ring finger, but look at the ring he got me a couple of years ago." Pretty anticlimactic.

Her engagement ring should be something special. If she loves her commitment ring, she can wear that on her right hand. There's nothing wrong with wearing diamond rings on both hands. I wear my wedding ring on my left hand and my anniversary band on my right hand. Buy her an engagement ring that she'll love even more than she loves the commitment ring.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
    [COLOR="Navy"]I think she should be excited about her engagement ring. Think about it: you proposal to her in a romantic setting. She's overwhelmed. She shares the news with some guests she met. They ask to see the ring. She says, "Oh, it's nothing; I'm not even going to wear it on my ring finger, but look at the ring he got me a couple of years ago." Pretty anticlimactic.
    She loves her commitment ring and it is something special. And if she is the type to say "oh, it's nothing, I'm not even going to wear it on my ring finger," when asked about her engagement ring, well, enough said. Very immature IMO and not at all as Doug has described.

YES . . .what a great guy! Just speak from the heart but make sure you say something romantic! My husband screwed the proposal up totally . . .and I still feel a little cheated, but he is Mr. Wonderful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast