Default room choices and cost

Hi there,
    I'm scared to post this but feel such a burning need to b/c the other threads keep closing before I have my say. Even if it's just read by the moderators, I want to make sure I'm heard. I, for one, would be soooo disappointed if couples changed the cost to a tier-level in any way (guaranteeing rooms, cost per room like cruises). One of the things that sets it a part is that although the rooms are different, we all get the same unlike the S resorts or many others. It seems that (some) people greatly confuse a room request with a guarantee but clearly they're different. I've also heard some tell them they're travel agent "told" them they could get this room or floor or whatever. Maybe that needs to be looked at (clarify room request with guarantee with TAs). All I hope is that an amazing formula that couples has isn't changed to make it similar to the ones that I don't like. It's nice to go to a resort where it doesn't mean that b/c you have more money, you get more. It is that way to some degree (some rooms categories are more expensive), but some of us just choose certain room categories b/c we like them better. I just really needed to contribute my 'two cents'.
    CSS (10)

Very well said Windsorgirl! I couldn't agree more.

I absolutely agree, and it's one of the reasons why we chose and love Couples. My worry is that if you can pay to guarantee your choice of location within the resort etc, then those of us who choose not to pay will get the rooms that are left after everyone else has bagged the ones they want. Which does turn it into a class system. If I wanted that I'd go to S, where money talks and can bag you the best of everything.

Windsorgirl has my vote too!!! Keep things the way they are!!!
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsters View Post
    I absolutely agree, and it's one of the reasons why we chose and love Couples. My worry is that if you can pay to guarantee your choice of location within the resort etc, then those of us who choose not to pay will get the rooms that are left after everyone else has bagged the ones they want. Which does turn it into a class system. If I wanted that I'd go to S, where money talks and can bag you the best of everything.
    Unless i missed some of the details but in all the posts a few thing have been repeated over and over
    1) couples has a limited number of " different room types"
    2) From inside the wall each room in a category is practically the same as the one next door
    So within the room category you paid for there is no difference
    hence no " class difference"

Lets look at a simple example you want a beachfront suite and you plan on being on the AN beach
    Rooms 9308 or 9208 to you are the best location for a host of reason which no one would have to defend

Right now you pay for your trip and upon arrival
    couples will do the best to accomodate your request if avail
    because of occupancy you are put in the same category in building 1 which i believe is on the opposite side of building 9.
    Is that a deal breaker? no. Would you have a great time? absolutely. Now lets look at it logically. Since you plan on spending most of your time on the AN beach you see a high degree of utility being as close to that beach as possible.
    If you do indeed value the location and Couples offered you to garuntee said location with a samll premium that seem to be a win win situation. I can not see where Couples will create a class system by offereing it clients the ability to heighten their enjoyment. Since Couples is know for it customer service what better way to improve that then by empowering its clients if they choose ot participate.
    The room in building 1 is the same as building 9 the perks the service the inclusions all the same.
    Bottom line if Couples offer this service those who put more weight in room location will be given the opportunity to enhance their stay. Those who do not share the same sence of priority are not adversely impacted. They will still be provided with the same room category they book in a location as best to accomodate their preference upon arrival.
    So maybe i am missing something, where? how? does this possible service create a class system?

Dinner example
    Pick any couples top notch resturant you land on saturday and you wish to eat at 8 pm on day x during the week.
    Chances are if you do not make reservation getting seated at 8 pm on day x will be tougher then 6 pm for the same day
    Does that mean there is a class system for dinner ? no it means more people prefer eating at 8 then 6. yet the foosd service and ambiance is the same. In that example the "premium" is the effort of making a reservation in advance. Which is something we all have done.

Windsorgirl I am in total agreement.. and you said it very well.

The wonderful thing about Couples is that no matter how rich the next person is... we are all treated the same.

desireduo.. the thing with your example is that we don't have to PAY extra to get an 8pm reservation or a 6pm reservation but we all get the same great food and service. In my opinion, that is how it should stay.

First, I should note that I'm totally for this as an "option". Second, I have a question for everyone who is against it and afraid it will wreak havoc at the Couples we all love and cherish ~ When you book your trip do you request a certain room, floor and/or building? Do you get upset when you don't get your requested room when you arrive? Do you end up wanting to be moved as soon as that room/floor/building is available? If you answered yes to any of those, why are you against this as an option?

I am one against this option. I like to have either 2nd or 3rd floor. If I got there and didn't get it, I would probably ask if it was available. If it weren't I would take what was available and not move ( I don't like to move once I got there). But I like the fact that I feel like I have a pretty decent chance of getting what I want, at the regular price. I feel like if they go to this optiion, I will HAVE to pay extra to get what I would prefer...that I wouldn't have a chance to get it unless I requested and paid extra and I am opposed to that. Again, I think it creates a system where if want something you have to pay extra to get it and that is the beauty of Couples now......you don't have to pay any extra to get that extra something special. I could live with first floor, but like the chance that when I check in there is always the possibility that by chance, I would get 2nd or 3rd. With this option, I feel like there are quite a few who WILL pay extra to get the higher floors and I won't have that chance any more unless I pay extra. As said by others before, if it came to that, it could significantly change my vacation plans and I really don't want that to happen. I fell in love with Couples last year because I knew that when I booked my room category, that was all the money I had to spend and now, if I have to pay extra to get something within that category, I wouldn't care for that.

Quote Originally Posted by cj1083 View Post
    First, I should note that I'm totally for this as an "option". Second, I have a question for everyone who is against it and afraid it will wreak havoc at the Couples we all love and cherish ~ When you book your trip do you request a certain room, floor and/or building? Do you get upset when you don't get your requested room when you arrive? Do you end up wanting to be moved as soon as that room/floor/building is available? If you answered yes to any of those, why are you against this as an option?
    The only time I've ever put in a request was at check in. I asked if it was possible to get a 3rd floor (was an Ocean Verandah reservation that trip). They were able to accommodate and even got us a corner. Would I have been upset if I didn't get 3rd floor? I would have been a little bummed, but not enough to classify it as "upset;" CERTAINLY not enough to raise a stink about it. Nor would I have requested they move us if we had ended up with a floor that wasn't our first choice. Nor would I have even wanted to move after having settled in in the initial room - not worth the hassle.

The thing that I like about how it is now is I know that when I get there and make an inquiry about getting a certain floor, there is at least the possibility it will happen. I know it's a crapshoot, but I also know it's possible. With the proposed solution, it strips those of us who don't pay the extra of that possibility. It changes the playing field. I would know going into it that the "prime" locations (and I can only reference CSA as that's the only one at which I've stayed) - corner rooms, top floor, maybe even 1st floor, would probably all be either occupied or sitting empty held for someone. The notion that a room in a location I would have liked to have had was sitting empty for 100.00 when I'm paying 4-5 times that for a less sought-after location WOULD upset me.

Windsorgirl,

Very well said, I agree with you 100%! I don't want to be left with a bad taste in my mouth feeling like we are being nickel and dimed for something that should not be charged for to begin with, not to beat a dead horse but I will say it again, like airlines charging for checked bags.

Stick with the current policy, if a request can be accommodated to make a customer happy, do so, if not simply tell the customer I'm sorry, and be done with it.

I've stated this before on another thread.....Couples should try this new room/floor/building option at 1 of their properties for 3 months. Interview the guests and see how it works.....make a company wide decision based on the results, or make it a perk at just one of their resorts....who could be against that?

( could you start this by April 1st at CN)

Jay

smoo72, you and I are in agreement for exactly the same reason....I want the opportunity to get one of my preferences when I get there without the additional cost and I feel like I wouldn't have that chance if they make this change. I would be forced to pay to get specifically what I want. I also worry that if I had a very specific request, and had paid, what if someone else had that same request.....for instance at CN, what if I wanted a 3rd floor corner room and say for example, there are only 4, and 6 people ask. Are they going to be given to the first 4 getting there and if I am the fifth, I don't get it? Now I am counting on it because I paid for it, I get there and they give me my money back and give me what they can give me, and now BIG disappointment because I was promised something that couldn't be delivered. Now that scenario isn't as likely because I WON'T pay extra....it's not worth it but the issue of knowing I won't have a chance to get a "better floor/location when I get there is what really bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by desireduo View Post
    Unless i missed some of the details but in all the posts a few thing have been repeated over and over
    1) couples has a limited number of " different room types"
    2) From inside the wall each room in a category is practically the same as the one next door
    So within the room category you paid for there is no difference
    hence no " class difference"

Lets look at a simple example you want a beachfront suite and you plan on being on the AN beach
    Rooms 9308 or 9208 to you are the best location for a host of reason which no one would have to defend

Right now you pay for your trip and upon arrival
    couples will do the best to accomodate your request if avail
    because of occupancy you are put in the same category in building 1 which i believe is on the opposite side of building 9.
    Is that a deal breaker? no. Would you have a great time? absolutely. Now lets look at it logically. Since you plan on spending most of your time on the AN beach you see a high degree of utility being as close to that beach as possible.
    If you do indeed value the location and Couples offered you to garuntee said location with a samll premium that seem to be a win win situation. I can not see where Couples will create a class system by offereing it clients the ability to heighten their enjoyment. Since Couples is know for it customer service what better way to improve that then by empowering its clients if they choose ot participate.
    The room in building 1 is the same as building 9 the perks the service the inclusions all the same.
    Bottom line if Couples offer this service those who put more weight in room location will be given the opportunity to enhance their stay. Those who do not share the same sence of priority are not adversely impacted. They will still be provided with the same room category they book in a location as best to accomodate their preference upon arrival.
    So maybe i am missing something, where? how? does this possible service create a class system?

Dinner example
    Pick any couples top notch resturant you land on saturday and you wish to eat at 8 pm on day x during the week.
    Chances are if you do not make reservation getting seated at 8 pm on day x will be tougher then 6 pm for the same day
    Does that mean there is a class system for dinner ? no it means more people prefer eating at 8 then 6. yet the foosd service and ambiance is the same. In that example the "premium" is the effort of making a reservation in advance. Which is something we all have done
    Your argument on behalf of Couples implementing a premium charge to guarantee a specific room is well stated. Personally, my position on this subject is neutral, especially being we've yet to so much as even step foot on a Couples property. I did offer the opinion that Randymon's suggestion in the original thread had slippery slope written all over it, and some follow up posts backed this up. But clearly an argument can be made on both sides of the coin.

The problem is the comparison you used doesn't wash. You gave equal weight with the example of the dinner reservations. The big glitch here is getting prime reservation times is simply a matter of making them before the others do. There's no additional cost involved, which is the basis for the premium room charge. So why you chose to use the dinner reservation as a comparison to the premium room charge to deflate the class system argument is a bit befuddling to say the least.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

As a "Compromising Canadian", I hate to disagree with you guys but let's look at the big picture. Randymon is trying to address a problem that is affecting certain members of his staff. I cannot believe how many guests are asking for specific rooms and then to hear that some are throwing fits at the check-in counter because they don't get a specific room, that really concerns me. Randymon's staff is awesome, and we don't want to erode their moral by having these kind of situations happening on a regular basis.

As we all know, some people can be very demanding and I have very little time or patience for this group (less than 5% of the population) who tend to ruin things for the rest of us. Over time, they will have a negative impact on staff moral and determine how we are all treated at Couples Resorts.

While Couples have a lot of inclusions that do not "cost extra", they still must have different Room Categories and different prices to effectively manage the room allocation process. If not, everyone would want to pay for a Garden View and request a Beachfront Suite (human nature). Paying extra for a specific room is no different than paying extra for an Oceanview or Beachfront suite.

Personally, a specific room is not important to us. However, to some guests, it is important, so if the perfect room, in the perfect location, makes their holiday special, they should be prepared to pay a little extra to GUARANTEE their request. They will still be restricted to rooms within their room category, upgrades are always at the discretion of management.

If you would like a room in a general location, give staff your "room requests, in order of preference" and they will do their best to accommodate you. In fact, I believe it may make their job somewhat easier. We have used this approach and have never been disappointed. We almost always get the general location we ask for and as repeaters, sometimes get a room upgrade to go with it. All without being an A--hole about it. If Randymon feels that a $50 fee is neccessary to smooth out this process, then I am fine with that.

Randymon's proposed specific room fee is also very reasonable at $100 and I believe the number of these room requests would drop off dramatically once this small fee was charged. The fee would separate those who really want the specific room, from those who are just being demanding. AND, for those who pay the fee, they will know well in advance that this specific room will be theirs, so they will have NO STRESS at check-in.

If Randymon can wrap these fees into the "highest category" of the "Romance Rewards Program", so much the better. Some guests may rather have their specific room, than a 1/2 massage.

At the end of the day, these fees should not impact any other service or inclusion that Couples provides. THIS IS NOT THE BEGINNING OF A CLASS SYSTEM, IT IS SIMPLY A CONTROLLED METHOD FOR STAFF TO MANAGE THE ROOM ALLOCATION PROCESS.

Let's all be reasonable, let Randymon manage his resorts more effectively, and continue to enjoy our great vacations at Couples.

I have a difficult time understanding why people think this room option would result in individuals getting special treatment. It appears that the majority of people do not care enough to pay the extra amount and are happy with whatever floor they are on. That's fine...they are not required to pay any more than before. And all the rooms are basically the same within a certain category, so it 's not like everyone would be hoarding all the rooms on a certain floor and leaving undesireable rooms for the others. But there are some people that would pay extra to maybe be on the top floor for the view, or maybe be on the ground floor due to physical limitations. So if the majority could care less about which floor they are on, then why not give the minority the opportunity to pay extra for something that is important to them?

Couples offers many wonderful options on a variety of things, some of which are included in their base price and some of which cost extra. Should Couples not offer water sports because I don't use them? Should Couples not offer the chance to swim with the dolphins because I choose not to pay extra for it? My point is, sometimes people equate their personal interest or noninterest in something as their reasoning for why Couples should or shouldn't offer it as an option.

Default No class system - just better sleep

Quote Originally Posted by desireduo View Post
    So within the room category you paid for there is no difference hence no " class difference"

I don't understand where offering more room classifications would create a "class" system. And, I don't remember seeing ANYTHING about dinner times, food, drinks or quality that would be affected by these additional room classifications. It would merely allow those who wish to stay in a certain part of the resort the ability to do so.

I, personally, don't like the buildings close to the evening entertainment, as we are early to bed and early risers. So, yes, being placed in building 6 or 7 does adversely affect my vacation enjoyment. Yes, I would pay a bit extra to guarantee I'm not placed in those buildings.

It has nothing to do with "class", just sleep.

Beergirl

While we are at it, I would like to be able to guarantee a certain table at Lemongrass and possibly a certain meal I request. I will pay $5 per meal for that. I would also like to guarantee a certain palapa or pair of chairs. I will pay $10 per day for that. I would also like to guarantee the front seat on the bus between CSA and the airport. I will pay $5 per trip for that.

There I go being sarcastic again ..............

Let's just go back to enjoying our time in paradise and quit worrying about the little details.

Hell, I would sleep on one of the chairs at night if I had to ............
    Proud palapa hoarder since 2007 !!!

[QUOTE=markandjannett;52589]

Let's just go back to enjoying our time in paradise and quit worrying about the little details.
    QUOTE]

I'd pay five dollars for that.
    nobody's favorite poster

Quote Originally Posted by markandjannett View Post
    While we are at it, I would like to be able to guarantee a certain table at Lemongrass and possibly a certain meal I request. I will pay $5 per meal for that. I would also like to guarantee a certain palapa or pair of chairs. I will pay $10 per day for that. I would also like to guarantee the front seat on the bus between CSA and the airport. I will pay $5 per trip for that.

There I go being sarcastic again ..............

Hell, I would sleep on one of the chairs at night if I had to ............
    I read this with a huge smile - VERY well said - our trip back "home" is coming soon and you're absolutely right - one of the beach chairs will be just fine! Thanks for reminding me ;o)

markandjannett, you are right...it would be terrible if it came to all that. Couples does provide a worry-free vacation in paradise, but sometimes a little change can be very beneficial if a molehill isn't turned into a mountain.

And I too would sleep in a chair if I had to. Oh wait...I did.

sanssouci1,

Very complete, nothing more can be said

Thanks for being so thorough!

Jay

I wish people would not get so wrapped up in the room choice. I too was guilty of this and thought I just HAD to have a certain room or a certain floor. Once, I requested a certain room and got it and two other times I did not. We actually liked the new and different rooms better and from now on, I am keeping my mouth shut and saying. Thank you God, We get to go back to Couples and I am just happy to be here.

jamaican junkie - was that you asleep in the hammock clutching the green flag? (Yes we saw that once at CSA)... It was hysterical. Grown man asleep (passed out?) in his bathing suit at 10pm in a hammock, holding onto a green flag as though his life depended on it....

We laughed about that one for quite a while. On a bright note, though, he was back at the bar the following morning, smiling and having a grand time.

Ok - time to close this one down too.

Options:

1. Be firm and simply say no to any advance requests for specific rooms, floors or buildings.

2. No change. Be flexible upon arrival, try to accommodate requests at check-in. Good and Bad. Good= trying to satisfy guests. Bad = will take longer to check everyone in. Those expecting requests to be confirmed give staff a hard time and will start vacation on a sour note.

3. Add several more room categories and charge more for most popular room, floor, buildings. NOT Happening!

4. Allow advance requests and charge for specific confirmed requests. Tempting from a revenue standpoint, but I can see several problems with this approach. Unlikely.

5. Create this (free) option at the highest Romance Rewards level - and possibly create a "Forever Love" top level for 50+ nights. This could work however it would involve more staffing and still would not be 100% effective. Two Forever Love guests requesting the same room at the same time? who gets it? First-come, First Served?

Possibility.

Whatever decision we take - if anything - we will be guided by our desire to enhance our guest experience and loyalty.

Soon come...

Couples Resorts