Thread: Dress Concerns

Default Dress Concerns

Ok, I know for sure that I plan to carry on my dress. I am having trouble trying to figure out the garment bag situation. The cheapie one it's in now is something from the dollar store, just to keep it covered in the closet so my fiance' won't see it and to keep it clean. Do I need to go buy a $100 luggage grade garment bag for the plane? The one I have now is not long enough for my dress, so it's kind of "folded" in half. Since the dress is going to be in my possession the whole trip, would something like this small bag be ok or what do you think I should travel with it in? I have never had to take a gown anywhere with me before, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
    This is like the one silly thing that I am having the biggest problem with (and it's probably not really a big deal)

Thanks

I know you can get one at a David's Bridal (if there is one near you) for $20. You could probably purchase it online if there isn't one close to you. www.davidsbridal.com
    the resort offers steaming or ironing of your dress for roughly $30 from what I have heard. I will be traveling with a wedding gown also and I hope it's a smooth trip with this long heavy dress. Do you think I get get my fiance to carry it for me? LoL!

Well I am also going to carry on my dress. Not that it is a super massive long dress, but still it is the one thing I DO NOT want lost in the luggage!! I am putting it in a garment bag then a large carry on. I bought a nice steamer to use when we get to the resort!

I went with a normal (pretty flimsy) garment bag from IKEA and it worked fine. The bag wasn't big enough for my dress either so it was just stuffed inside. Well, I'm 5'2 and could barely hang on to the regular sized garment bag without dragging it on the floor the entire time, so a bigger one wouldn't do me any good. I brought a portable steamer/iron and there was no wrinkles on my dress (satin/organza gown) at all. On the way back, I stuffed the dress in the luggage and miraculously it still looks perfect when I took it back out. Hope it helps

Buy the cheap one and ask the flight attendant to hang it for yo when you get on the plane.

Thanks, I think I will just stick with what I've got and pay the $30 to have it steamed when I get there.

Appreciate the help! =)

Just got back. I put my dress in my carry on suitcase. When I got to the resort I hung it up in the batroom. After a few showers every wrinkle came out and I didnt even have to use the steamer I brought along! One gal had her dress in a garment bag and the flight attendent hung it for her!

Quote Originally Posted by tangles66 View Post
    Just got back. I put my dress in my carry on suitcase. When I got to the resort I hung it up in the batroom. After a few showers every wrinkle came out and I didnt even have to use the steamer I brought along! One gal had her dress in a garment bag and the flight attendent hung it for her!
    What kind of dress did you have that it could fit in your carryon? I think the shower was a great idea. Do you have pics of your dress?

My dress was not the traditional big foo foo dress with the train and all. Was light beachy chiffon dress. Great for the heat and traveling with!! Tried to up load a photo and I guess the file is too big!!! I did put some on the site under my wedding at CSA july 11th. They are loaded through snapfish.