View Poll Results: CTI or CN

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • CTI - garden suite

15 33.33%
  • CN - garden room

30 66.67%

Default Help - I'm second guessing myself!!

I went back and forth trying to decide between CTI and CN. I got sick of the bouncing back and forth between the two and booked CTI a few minutes ago. Now I'm reading these posts and feel like I may have been wrong. It is our 10th anniversary and we love to drink and have fun but are mainly pool people. I went with a garden suite b/c I wanted a fridge - silly I know - but I'm always thirsty at night and wanted to be able to grab a coke or water. Does it not feel "islandy" at CTI? I had a travel agent suggest CTI for our first trip to Jamaica b/c of the mountain views. Also - I'm TERRIFIED of walking on wet rocks (like, I'd rather be shot), can I still enjoy Dunn's falls w/o having to walk on wet rocks? We'll be there November 10-15th - anyone else going then? What do you all think of choosing CTI versus CN?

Although I have never been to CTI (in fact I've only been to Ochi on a cruise) I'd say you've made the right booking. I say this for a few reasons.

First, you said that you were pool people. If you were beach people, I would steer you toward either of the Negril resorts. CN does have a fantastic pool, but CTI's pool looks nice too.

Secondly, since you are interested in Dunn's River Falls, Ochi is the place to be. Where water shoes (aqua socks) for sure footing. As you ascend the falls, you will be hand in hand with other people. You will not fall easily. It's worth the experience to go. My added advice here is to bring a waterproof camera and go on a day when there are no cruise ships in port. [See this link for cruise schedules: http://cruisett.com/ports.php?PortID=480 ]

Lastly, something in you had you book CTI. Go with that feeling and don't look back. Going to any Couples Resort is the right decision. You can't go wrong with any of them. The food and service is comparable at each and can't be beat in my opinion. Don't let any worries hinder the joy of the anticipation of your trip. It's all good. No worries. Soon come.
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

Default Thank you

Thanks for taking the time to respond and especially to post the link for the cruise dock schedule - that's so helpful! I'm very excited to be going!!

I forgot to add...

You can always go to CN on your return visit in the future. And you WILL want to return!
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

You chose the best one. Cti has the old pool the new one with swim up bar, the plunge pool on the Island and the Buddah pool at the spa. CN has one main pool and a small pool they do the dive class in. I don't need to say any more, enjoy.

No you cannot enjoy Dunns River Falls without walking on wet rocks. That's what it is... walking on rocks with a waterfall rushing down and over them, wet rocks. But I think if you'd wear good gripping water shoes or sandals you'll have traction and feel secure. Are you terrified of falling or of water on rocks in general? If you're terrified of just being in the falls walking on the rocks then it is not for you.
    Personally we love Dunns River Falls and went 3 times when we were at CSS last month.

Don't second guess anything. As was said, something inside you steered you to CTI. Our first trip (about 7 years ago) was to Negril. We absolutely LOVED it....so much so we thought we would never go anywhere else. About two years after that, we went to CTI (COR at the time) because some friends of ours were going and wanted us to go with them. We were scared to death that it would not match up to the experience we had at CN. We will be returning for our fourth trip to CTI in June. In fact, we love CTI so much that I doubt we will ever go anywhere else....even if our friends want us to. Now, when they say, let's try CN or CSS or CSA, we tell them to stop by CTI and see us if they can. You will love CTI, its staff, the other guest, and all the experiences you will find.

Quote Originally Posted by RubiGal04 View Post
    No you cannot enjoy Dunns River Falls without walking on wet rocks. That's what it is... walking on rocks with a waterfall rushing down and over them, wet rocks. But I think if you'd wear good gripping water shoes or sandals you'll have traction and feel secure. Are you terrified of falling or of water on rocks in general? If you're terrified of just being in the falls walking on the rocks then it is not for you.
    Personally we love Dunns River Falls and went 3 times when we were at CSS last month.
    Are you sure folks can't go there and enjoy the falls without having to climb the rocks?

I could have sworn I've read on more than one occasion where there are spots by the falls - lookout points, stuff like that - where people can congregate and view them without having to climb them, or at least climb the rocks.

Of course you've been there and I haven't, so this more a curious question than anything.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Ron, you are right... she could go and watch from different vantage points, but not sure how much enjoyment she'd get out of that if her hubby does the falls... at least I know I wouldn't.. but you are right, she could do that if she really couldn't bring herself to get in the water. I should have clarified that

Yes you can enjoy Dunns river with out walking up the rocks.
    Dunns river is long series of falls, followed by flat pools followed by more falls and more pools. On two occassions my wife and I simply went into one of the river pools mid way up the climb from the walk way. We stayed in the pool and waited until the walkers made it up to that pool. When we saw them reach the top, we got out and rejoined the group.

I stopped climbing halfway and walked up the stairs. The problem was I had to take my contact lenses out in case I fell in and the further up the falls I went the harder it was to distinguish between deep water and rocks, as they were black!

Default Even more confused

So I was all ready to change my reservations to CN b/c it really was the one "calling" to me. Then I read the posts about how badly service has declined so I've now thrown CSA into the mix and my head is spinning trying to compare. I'm choosing resort for outselves and two other couples so there's that added pressure for us all to be happy. What pressure - lol!!!

ibwehr I guess you threw CTI out of the choices? If you want the best staff, an amazing SPA, lots of included activities CTI is the place to be. The only downfall I found with CTI when we went last trip was people turned in early. However this year I have a feeling I will be one of those early nighters. Billy I have an excuse now, according to you I am no longer in the younger crowd.

lbwehr

Read as much as you can find on the resorts and the locations. Look at as many pictures as you can find and in the end let your own heart make your decision.

Each resort is unique in its own way and on this MB you will find loyalists for each resort who will do their best to sway your decision.

What we like or dislike may be different for you.

Can you judge a resort from a few good or even bad reviews? I don't think so. Can a staff member can have a bad day that you might cross paths with? Sure it can happen but they strive to prevent that.

There is a site that caters to all 4 Couples Resorts with many pictures that have been added.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JamaicanMeCrazy/

Let your heart decide and you won't be wrong.

ibwehr I encourage you to give CTI a chance. Last year I was in your spot. My husband just loves CN, but we booked late and it was cheaper to book at CTI. Well he complained the whole three months leading up to the trip and the flight over (from California) so you know it was an extra long trip. Well the second day there he was just in love with CTI. If you are a pool person then CTI has plenty of pools for you. The service is great. The property is small, so the staff get to know you right away and the veggie bar staff knew just what I wanted for my afternoon snack about 3 days into our trip. The Garden view rooms are great, they are quite and private in the evenings and if you have a ground floor then you have great access to the spa hot tubs and the Zen pool for private relaxing time. The food is great, don't miss the repeaters dinner. Relax, you have made a great choice.

PS the rocks are not at all slippery. I imagine that some one must keep them from getting slippery, but you could just walk the stairs and slip into one of the pools and wait for your group to show up. The water is nice and cool and refreshing.

Ok now to make you freak! Try CSS we love it!!!! Go AN and really make it a memory!

cheers!

ibwehr -

You're putting a LOT of pressure on us to make the decision for you. What if you find upon arrival to the airport after your week at CN or CTI that people are absolutely gushing about the Atriums at SweptAway, or the spa at CSS? Who you going to blame?

Take a step back and remember why you booked in the first place... if you've changed your criteria, or decided that you really didn't know what it was about CTI that made you book, then hey... might be time to rethink...

You really have to own this decision yourself...

But when you DO finally make a final decision, put the stuff away. Don't doubt your decision, just live with it. It will be fine; it will be great; it will be a fantasy come true... trust us!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Default No pressure

Chris - I ulitmately made my decision and will own it. I just wanted to be able to weigh the pros and cons and get various perspectives. Eveyone is different and is going to think "their" pick is right - and it is.... for them. I ended up w/ CN and I CAN'T WAIT!!!!! If I run into people at the airport that have had a fabulous experience - I will be very happy for them and put it in the mental file of things to consider for the next trip!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    ibwehr -

You're putting a LOT of pressure on us to make the decision for you. What if you find upon arrival to the airport after your week at CN or CTI that people are absolutely gushing about the Atriums at SweptAway, or the spa at CSS? Who you going to blame?

Take a step back and remember why you booked in the first place... if you've changed your criteria, or decided that you really didn't know what it was about CTI that made you book, then hey... might be time to rethink...

You really have to own this decision yourself...

But when you DO finally make a final decision, put the stuff away. Don't doubt your decision, just live with it. It will be fine; it will be great; it will be a fantasy come true... trust us!
    The above should be mandatory reading for anyone, especially my fellow newbs, who has been contemplating which resort to choose or more so, has intially gone with a particular resort and is now having second thoughts. The problem with having second thoughts is they often lead to third ones, then fourth ones, and so on.

Great advice Chris, as always.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.