Default Untraditional situation

Hi Everyone!

I have sort of an untraditional/unusual situation, as it pertains to Couples. We are coming to CN in June for my neices' wedding and are very excited. However, there are several of us who are not 'Couples'...both parents of the Bride are divorced, both Grandmothers are widows, a few singles and many others who are just coming without spouses, myself included.

So I have 2 questions.

1)How uncomfortable are we going to feel? And will we feel like we're ruining the romantic experience for others?

2)I would have obviously loved to go with my husband, but we were uncertain about a babysitter, since most of who would normally help my MIL, will also be in Jamaica. Consequently, I booked with my 67 year old mother. Well now, my MIL says to my husband..."Go, just go, I can handle it." Is it possible for my husband to book as a single and pay an additional fee? I can't seem to get a straight answer from the Brides travel agent. She said that the wedding coordinator would have to approve it and she would get back to me...but hasn't yet.

Thanks so much for your time!
    Dana

Quote Originally Posted by DanaA View Post

1)How uncomfortable are we going to feel? And will we feel like we're ruining the romantic experience for others?

2)I would have obviously loved to go with my husband, but we were uncertain about a babysitter, since most of who would normally help my MIL, will also be in Jamaica. Consequently, I booked with my 67 year old mother. Well now, my MIL says to my husband..."Go, just go, I can handle it." Is it possible for my husband to book as a single and pay an additional fee? I can't seem to get a straight answer from the Brides travel agent. She said that the wedding coordinator would have to approve it and she would get back to me...but hasn't yet.

Dana,

This is not such an unusual situation and I have traveled to Couples as a single and never felt uncomfortable - and I was alone and not with a group.

As for the agent not getting back to you, I do weddings in Jamaica and other islands and it is not always a quick process to get a response. I suggest you be patient and give her a chance to get you an accurate answer.

CG

Quote Originally Posted by danaa View Post
    hi everyone!

I have sort of an untraditional/unusual situation, as it pertains to couples. We are coming to cn in june for my neices' wedding and are very excited. However, there are several of us who are not 'couples'...both parents of the bride are divorced, both grandmothers are widows, a few singles and many others who are just coming without spouses, myself included.

So i have 2 questions.

1)how uncomfortable are we going to feel? And will we feel like we're ruining the romantic experience for others?
    Think about it couples is a couples only resort. While you certainly won't ruin the romantic experience for others but you might feel a little out of place. Don't let that bother you. Just have a great time

2)i would have obviously loved to go with my husband, but we were uncertain about a babysitter, since most of who would normally help my mil, will also be in jamaica. Consequently, i booked with my 67 year old mother. Well now, my mil says to my husband..."go, just go, i can handle it." is it possible for my husband to book as a single and pay an additional fee? I can't seem to get a straight answer from the brides travel agent. She said that the wedding coordinator would have to approve it and she would get back to me...but hasn't yet.

Thanks so much for your time!
    Dana
    if the brides travel agent won't give you a straight answer contact the couples wedding coordinator directly. I am sure they will help you

I'm confused...

How many guests are going to be at the wedding? I thought that the amount of singles could only be 5% of the total number of guests. With the amount of singles in your party, it sound like you will be having about 10 singles which mean thqat there will be 200 guests at the wedding. Could this be right? Yikes! Or is it single room booking as everyone is bunking as couples?

Anyway, to answer your first question, I think as long as you are respectful of those around you it shouldn't be a problem. Sometimes large groups of singles can make things feel more spring break like...

The wedding coordinator is probably working on the whole "exception" thing. Give her time.

Hi Dana

Sorry cant help you out with no. 2, but no. 1 is an interesting question and I appreciate that you ask.

We are on our way to our 3rd Couples vacation in a few days. The reason we return to couples is the quality and adults only, couples atmoshpere. 2 yrs ago, my husband and I celebrated our 25th anniversary at CSA. There were many wedding parties there, and in particular a large wedding party similar to the one you are describing. There were grannies, single father & teenage kids (looked younger than 18 to me) and other assorted family members who all stayed at the resort. They congregated in a large group on the beach every day, at dinner parties, etc. Did it ruin our vacation, no. Did it reduce the quality of the atmosphere and our enjoyment of an adults only, Couples vacation, yes. I saw other wedding parties where families stayed at nearby resorts and the bride and groom stayed at Couples. If you decide that your entire wedding party needs to stay at Couples, people will generally respect you and not purposefully make you feel uncomfortable. You might feel out of place though. Respectfully, in my opinion, such parties do have a negative influence on the Couples atmosphere and enjoyment by couples.

As a single you have to pay the room price, which is for 2 anyway. I believe the amount of singles allowed depends on the overall amount of people coming to the wedding. I'm sure others will give exact details.

"both parents of the Bride are divorced, both Grandmothers are widows, a few singles and many others who are just coming without spouses, myself included.:

I thought there was a limit as to how many singles can book with the Wedding party?
    In any case, don't have your husband go as a "Single" Change your Reservation to a "Couple" and let your mom room with someone else.
    As for your question about ruining the romantic vibe for others, that's up to your group and how they act !

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine management approving a group of mostly single people for what is supposed to be a resort for couples. We personally selected Couples to be in a couples only, romantic setting. I don't see how they could decide which groups of singles to approve and which to deny. Maybe you can get away with it though.

Default Re

Your husband can book as a single, but depending on how you will rearrange the room situation----you will have to pay the double room rate (whether your mother or husband stays in the extra room)

Because it is a couples resort and they can book a couple, they charge the same rate. My father in-law to be, is going to CTI as a single and he had to pay about $2200 total for 4 nights. That includes flight.

Often times, the resort does not get back to the travel agent in a timely manner, but they will discuss this with you and it can be expedited much quicker if you make the call to couples.
    1-800-Couples. Just tell them you are trying to get approval for a single room stay for a wedding.

Hope it all works out for you!

Thank you for all of your responses. First let me clarify that our wedding party is not a huge group...so far, including the bride and groom, there are 18 people going. All have booked with another, so no single rooms. But, there are singles. For example, as mentioned in my post, my mother, the brides parents, brides sister and brother. Then there are a couple of Aunts that are coming without spouses, because of the cost.

Anyway, I wish that my neice would have chosen a different resort, just because of the 'singles' issue, but she didn't. So we have to go with the flow, as we don't want to miss this special day. And to her defense, all of these issues came to light after she and her husband-to-be booked Couples as their wedding destination. Her travel agent did not disclose the fact that this resort has the ambience that it does. She just said the usual, ie, great food, beautiful beach, excursions included, etc. I even made a comment as to the name "Couples" and she (the TA) said something like "Oh, they just do that to keep the spring break crowd away. It's different for wedding parties." But now, a year later, the truth has surfaced. Can't do much about it now, I suppose.

As far as cancelling and rebooking with my husband? I just can't do that to my Mother. She would then have no one to book with and can't afford the double rate. Consequently, she would miss seeing her first Grandchild get married

Well, I guess my hubby will just have to stay here, as we're not willing to pay $4700 for 5 nights (3 people) when only 2 are going.

But thank you for your honest responses. I appreciate it.