Default Snorkeling with a cookie duster

Does anyone have any suggestions for snorkeling for a person unwilling to shave his moustache off. I love snorkeling and would love to try scuba but, I cannot see myself shaving off the moustache I have had 30 years.
    I have snorkeled before but always experience the mask leaking making long periods of under water time not possible.

Any suggestions ??? Should I attempt to trim it down away from nose? Is there such a thing like a sealing wax?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My husband used to put vaseline on his moustache for snorkeling. Worked pretty good.

My husband also loves to snorkel and has a mustache. He uses Vasaline. We have our own snorkel gear and he just keeps a small jar in his bag. I'll be interested to see other responses. Maybe there is something even better.

Use a food grade silicone gel on your moustache. That should do the trick. Here's a link to a small article about your question.

ENJOY!!!

http://ezinearticles.com/?Snorkeling...che&id=2051033

Rub some suntan lotion (or sunscreen) on your 'stache before putting on your mask. This will help seal the mask and minimize leakage.
    There will be a little seepage anyway, so try to learn to clear your mask without having to surface and take it off.
    Inhale, press the top of the mask gently against your forehead, and exhale through your nose which will force the air and accumulated water out the bottom of the mask. When scuba diving sometimes the mask would fog up on the inside. When this happened, you'd pull the mask away from your face just enough to let a little water in, rinse the fog away, then clear it as above. After learning this skill, it never seemed to matter if there was seepage or not.

Make sure you really have the clearing of the mask down. You will have to clear frequently as you will get some water in. Mask clearing is the one thing you really need to be comfortable with as a diver. Some days you just need to do it more than others and it's no big deal if you are well practiced.

Thanks to all who responded and so quickly. It seems that I will need to just suck it up and get used to the seepage until I learn and perfect this mask clearing procedure described. I am guessing that this will take time to perfect so I will forego the scuba attempt for April trip

Thanks all. Tom from PA

I too have a moustache and have been scuba diving for 15 years. I find that if I shave off about 1/8" just below my nostrils my mask will not leak and the missing part of my 'stache will not be noticed.

Don't give up on scuba.. do the free intro class and you will learn how easy it is to clear a mask while your in the pool.

Trust me it will be worth trying...

Quote Originally Posted by blueseagolf View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions for snorkeling for a person unwilling to shave his moustache off.....Should I attempt to trim it down away from nose? Is there such a thing like a sealing wax?
    Bingo!

If you were to shave about 1/8 of an inch off the top of your mustache, this should pretty much do the trick. Since the bottom edge of the mask pretty much sits right under your nose, by clearing that 8th inch or so leaves enough room for the edge to sit directly on the skin, which will in turn form a better seal. It's always worked for me. Go for it.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

My husband also had a mustache when we first learned to SCUBA. Though his mask did leak more than mine it didn't stop him from enjoying his time under the water. There is a special wax you can purchase at SCUBA shops for this purpose, might be less messy than Vaseline. Mask clearing is not at all hard to learn so I wouldn't say you have to put off the diving, the only way you learn is to do it. As for the fogging of masks underwater there are also special mask cleaners you can buy that are pretty reasonable priced that totally eliminate this problem, much better than the water in the mask option.

Quote Originally Posted by sherrynchuck View Post
    As for the fogging of masks underwater there are also special mask cleaners you can buy that are pretty reasonable priced that totally eliminate this problem, much better than the water in the mask option.
    Spit. It works just as well as any mask cleaner and of course it's free.

Seriously, just spit on the inside faceplate of your mask, rub it around, then quickly dip in the water to remove the 'residue'. There you go....no fog, no problems, and no cost.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Hi Blues...
    Please DO NOT miss the chance to scuba dive.
    The instructors will not let you into the sea till you are comfortable in the pool.
    If I were you I would check the mask ( or several masks ) as fit is VERY important.
    Hold any potential mask upto your face and inhale gently through your nose but without placing the strap around the back of your head.
    The mask should stay in place and offer some reistance from pulling off your face through suction.
    If this is the case, it is air tight, never mind water tight.
    Try this with other masks till you find one with a "good suck".
    I have dived for years with a 'tash and dont need to trim or grease it.
    I hope that helps,

Good Luck.....