Default Duty Free at Montego Bay Airport

Hiya!

I'm travelling in 7 weeks to CTI with my boyfriend and I cannot wait! I'm so excited as we booked this back in September!

Just a quick question, can anyone please tell me what the duty free is like at Montego Bay airport? We are travelling back to London, UK and I usually like to purchase creams etc. from Clinique and usually perfume. I don't want to make a hiccup like I did at MIA last year and expect lots of shops and there were only a few! If I'm honest I wasn't expecting much from Montego Bay as I've heard it is only small, but thought it would be worth checking anyhow!

Thanks for any answers

Lindsay x

The stores are very limited. They do have a big store that sells Clinique and other makeup, etc, but I found that it wasn't that much cheaper than at home (at least in US). There are lots of tshirt stores, a couple of fine jewelry stores, couple of liquor stores, couple of coffee/spice stores, and one red stripe store. There are only a couple of places to eat. We usually buy our limit of rum and a few spices. The liquor prices can't be beat, and they package it up very nicely for you to carry on the plane.
    Hope this helps! Have a wonderful trip!!

There are places to buy coffee, alcohol, clothing, cigars, jewelry, clothing. I'm sure there are many more.... that's all I can remember for now

The duty free area in Montego Bay is large and has anything that you will want. It is also the best place to purchase liquor if you are looking for that.
    Irie Mon

There are lots of high end duty free shops at Montego Bay now, and I'm sure you will find the things you want. My only caution is that sometimes the check - in and security lines can take a long time to navigate, and you may not have as much shopping time as you'll need before your flight departs. Buy a few "contingency" gifts and some coffee before you leave the resort, just in case you have to sprint for your plane.
    nobody's favorite poster

I think it's the Buccanneer Duty Free store that has fragrances and some cosmetics, but I don't recall seeing Clinique there.

There are places for perfume, but I don't remember Clinique. There is some shopping, but mostly alcohol, coffee, jewelry, and some clothes.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Thankyou all for your replies, i like to stock up when i'm paying in $ as it's so much cheaper than in the UK?

Anyone know how much a bottle of Grey Goose costs?

Just a note: Have your receipts handy as security will want to see them with any carry on items (bottled items/liquids). My wife bought a few things that I carried and when we got to the gate they checked passengers again in two lines which seperated us causing a problem till I could get the receipts from her.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2sun_stl View Post
    We usually buy our limit of rum and a few spices. The liquor prices can't be beat, and they package it up very nicely for you to carry on the plane.
    Are the limits of what you can take home posted somewhere?j

Thanks,
    Renee

The limits would just be based off of customs rules. You have to claim the things that you bought that you are returning with.

But yes, the shops at Montego bay are VAST.. it's basically a 50 store mall. Just make sure you have room in your luggage to check things that can't be "carried on" if you have a layover. You will get your luggage and pass through customs at your first stop, at that point, you will be re-checking your bags, so you'll need to pack your liquids and creams, etc. in your checked bags for the connecting flights.

Very random and specific question, but does anyone know if they sell Chanel purfumes? I am looking to buy Coco Mademoiselle and planned to get it at the airport in London, but as Dizzy_gal_linds said Brits usually get a better deal buying abroad in dollars so wondered whether it was worth holding out and getting it on the way home.

Thanks

Kanga -

The advantage of buying at a duty-free is just that... no duty taxes UP TO LIMITS SET BY THE TRAVELLER'S HOME COUNTRY. There may be additional leverage that can be brought to bear based on relative value of different currencies. Some folks are more savvy on this aspect than others... I certainly am not.

As for the limits question posted by Renee, these can be found online at www.customs.gov . You'll also be given a form before arriving in Jamaica and before arriving in the US that will explain and answer most of your questions.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Kanga -

The advantage of buying at a duty-free is just that... no duty taxes UP TO LIMITS SET BY THE TRAVELLER'S HOME COUNTRY. There may be additional leverage that can be brought to bear based on relative value of different currencies. Some folks are more savvy on this aspect than others... I certainly am not.

As for the limits question posted by Renee, these can be found online at www.customs.gov . You'll also be given a form before arriving in Jamaica and before arriving in the US that will explain and answer most of your questions.
    Chris

We can buy goods at duty free at Orlando Int cheaper than what we could buy them at for eg Macey's or Neimans etc. However even the price at Neimans would be cheaper than what we can buy them for here in the UK. We are stung every which way over here.

For eg a 1.7oz pot of Estee Lauder Daywear Moisturiser in the US is $39.50
    it costs us $50.40. Or in £'s we pay £33.00 and you pay £25.87. We have so much hidden tax over here. That is why we are keen to pay in dollars.

(Note: This is a US example; other countries will vary.)

As far as "limits" for alcohol, etc., you can take back as much as you can get away with for "personal consumption." Of course, that's in the eye of the beholder (and the gentlemen at Customs).

Now, you might have to pay a tax or duty if it's too much, but sometimes that get's waived if the Customs officer doesn't think it's worthwhile. Our example: last September we brought back about 4 liters of rum and 2.5 liters of rum creme; our personal limits would be about 1.5 liters total without duty, but the guy said "I think you'll be ok," and waived us on through. (We'd had a similar situation bringing back wine from Canada a few years ago.) I think the collective duty on that would have been about $5 or $10 or so.

The main thing is to tell them what you have and let them make the call. If you don't tell them and they find it, it will make for a Very Bad Day, and you likely won't make your connecting flight (among other things).

Just as important these days - weight. Unless you have a non-stop flight, any liquids you buy at Duty Free will have to be put into a checked bag after you clear Customs. And guess what happens when you give the bag back to the airline and it's over 50 pounds? It ain't cheap! We'd bought our liquor at Appleton, so we'd checked it from the get-go, but we converted one of our carryons to a checked bag because it was cheaper to pay for the third bag than to pay $70 for an overweight one!

OK..question.
    We want to have a bottle of rum for our room. Can we buy that at the airport on our way in to Jamaica? Or are the shops that sell that only on the way out of the country? We do not drink wine or beer, so asking at the bar for something for the room isn't an option. We would just like to have something to mix a drink in the room. I can get an ice bucket and soda.
    Thanks!!
    Mark & Sue

Also a note - even though you will leave the resort 4 hours before your flight, on our last two trips in 2008 and 2009 we had NO time to shop once we cleared security. Both times we got right to the gate as they were boarding.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Dizzy_gal_linds - buy your Clinique in the duty free in the UK before you go. I'm really glad I did that when we went in January as there's only a very limited selection in MBJ airport. They had some great deals in World Duty Free at Gatwick.

jumpinfun2:

I don't think there was any places to get rum at the airport upon arrival.

The gift shops at the resorts do sell Appleton.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnfun2 View Post
    OK..question.
    We want to have a bottle of rum for our room. Can we buy that at the airport on our way in to Jamaica? Or are the shops that sell that only on the way out of the country? Mark & Sue
    No, you cannot access the Duty Free shops as an Arriving passenger, but there are stores in Ochi and Negril and the resort gift shops sell Rum. If you have a room with a mini-bar it will already be there.