Thread: Tipping

Default Tipping

I just read a review of CTI on Trip Advisor where the woman complained that tips were expected at the Main Bar and water sports area. I PM'd her and it turns out we were there at the same time. I didn't encounter this at all. We didn't feel pressured to tip at all and we didn't. I didn't notice anyone else tipping either other than when we were leaving I saw a guy getting on the golf bus palm some money to one of the bellmen. She claimed that the bartenders at the main bar expected tips to be placed in the wooden bar menus and that watersports staff would take guests out at times when the red flags were out for a $20 tip. The only people we tipped were the bus drivers and the massage therapist at the spa. Unlike other AI resorts, I was happy that CTI seems to enforce the no tipping policy and we received great service without tipping. I found her comments off base and wondered whether anyone else encountered similar experiences.

Whether what she said is true or not (and I tend to lean on the side that it's total BS), it's a moot point for us. We have no intentions of tipping anyone we're not supposed to, and as for tipping the watersports guys to take the boat out on a red flag day, again this is meaningless to us. Rosa won't go near a boat when the water is choppy, so no concern there whatsoever.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

I read her review and thought it was total BS. I don't think Couples would allow the watersports guys to take people out for a tip when the red flag is out. If any of this is true Couples should be monitoring such activity. We have never tipped bartenders or waiters and always had excellent service. It is our understanding employees can get fired for accepting tips. Why would they risk it? Something is fishy about her review - her main complaint was about employees demanding tips. The only place we ever saw this was in Mexico. We've been to Couples 9 times and have never been asked for a tip!

Quote Originally Posted by cabushka View Post
    ..the woman complained that tips were expected at the Main Bar and water sports area...
    ....My understanding is Couples Employees are fired for accepting ANY tips.

Default Tipping

can someone from couples please clear this up for me. i have read 2 reviews on trip advisor about tipping. i understand tipping is not allowed for couples employees. did CTI hire new staff? it seems like all of a sudden people are talking about how they now have to tip to get anything, from service on the beach to a table in a restaurant. please clear this up, if you have a no tipping policy how is it enforced.

THIS IS SEANDYMON NOW:

TIPPING IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED! STAFF MAY LOSE THEIR JOBS FOR ACCEPTING TIPS.

Quote Originally Posted by markjennwedding View Post

THIS IS SEANDYMON NOW:

TIPPING IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED! STAFF MAY LOSE THEIR JOBS FOR ACCEPTING TIPS.
    ....I think you covered it!!!

I sure hope that's the case (seandymon's answer). We were at a Mexican resort last year where tipping was strictly prohibited, but it was not enforced and I often was ignored at the bar while people who waved $$ behind me were served. Don't get me wrong - if tipping is allowed - cool - just let me know so I am prepared. If not - then enforce it. I realize that the Jamaican economy depends on tourists, and I am happy to do what I can in that respect (purchase a trinket or two, tip a little more than I might elsewhere...) as long as, again, I KNOW and am PREPARED. So it would be great to get the REAL skinny on the situation.

==================
    SEANDYMON HERE!!!!! NO TIPPING!

During our first trip to CN in 2008 we NEVER felt obligated to tip.
    However, we went to CTI December 2009 and it was very different. The bellman and the man who delivered our breakfast every morning always stood there waiting for something and my husband felt obligated. We tipped more on that trip than ever before and I did put that in a review I wrote on TA. Now overall the trip was FANTASTIC and we will continue to be repeaters but I have to be honest when it comes to the tipping policy...the employees do not always adhere to it. And lets be honest - how many people would really report it and have the employee fired?? Some of the employees I am referring to are some of the same employees HIGHLY praised on this board and are a part of why people come back to Couples. So it is kind of a catch 22. In this economy no one really wants to be the cause of someone losing thier job. So for my husband and I we just deal with it. No problem mon

Quote Originally Posted by KandS View Post
    Don't get me wrong - if tipping is allowed - cool - just let me know so I am prepared. If not - then enforce it.

==================
    SEANDYMON HERE!!!!! NO TIPPING!
    ...Right off, at the airport "Welcome"; I offered a tip to the "Bartender" there (wasn't sure if she was an employee of Couples). She respectfully declined the tip.

"However, we went to CTI December 2009 and it was very different. .....And lets be honest - how many people would really report it and have the employee fired?? Some of the employees I am referring to are some of the same employees HIGHLY praised on this board and are a part of why people come back to Couples."

Same exact situation with us- same Staff member
    2007 - 2008 -2009

Quote Originally Posted by lovinsean View Post
    ... And lets be honest - how many people would really report it and have the employee fired??
    Apparently enough. I know 2 employees at CN alone fired for it. We've also been told that occasionally impostor guests are deployed to test the employees secretly and the employees know that may happen at any time. They take the policy very seriously.

(btw - I appreciate your review and the frankness. It is unfortunate you had to deal with the catch 22.)

Ok, let me try one more time to make this perfectly clear.

If you are caught tipping any staff member (other than at the Spa) two things will happen:

1. Staff member will be terminated immediately and will lose all accrued benefits, and

2. YOU may be asked to leave the resort - and you will not be entitled to any refund or compensation.

Couples Resorts