Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default New dress code - Management please consider dress shorts too!!

Since "dress jeans" have been added to the dress code for the "fancy" restaurants, I'd love to see management consider adding nicer shorts to the dress code. My husband hates dress pants on vacation and I don't blame him. He always wears nice shorts with a polo at night, minus the night I make him put on pants. I don't think dressier shorts are any less deterring then jeans. I'd be able to eat at the "fancy" restaurants more if you'd consider the shorts as well

Personally I'm with your husband and would prefer to not wear pants but don't want them to change the dress code. I'm concerned about each couples definition of "nice shorts" would be. I'm actually concerned about "dress jeans". Over our last two trips, we have noticed that people seem to letting their attire slip for the evening meals.

10 years ago when we were married at CSS the men had to wear jackets, collared buttoned shirts, and closed toe shoes to eat in the Casanova Restaurant. Today no jackets, polo shirts, and dress sandals are allowed. I personally don't see the problem with throwing a pair of slacks in your bag in order to be in line with the minimal dress code. Remember that after the sun goes down it is no longer a beach destination but a 4-5 star resort. You can change back into shorts after leaving the exclusive restaurant to enjoy the rest of your evening. That being said, you do not state which resort you are going to. Our last couple visits were to CSA and I assure you that the AC is so cranked up at Feathers that the men will be glad they have slacks on and the ladies tend to bring sweaters. I can't attest to the AC settings at the other resorts these days but be aware. Also take into consideration that reservations are needed at the fancier restaurants and not always available when you want. You can only make reservations 1 or 2 days ahead of time for your dinner. Don't plan on eating there night after night and you won't be so disappointed. If we eat there 2 nights out of our 8 night stay we are happy.
    Last edited by rckbert; February 18th, 2016 at 04:25 PM.

Couples is just opening a can of worms with this decision of "dress jeans" might as well let people wear "dress shorts" too

I never got the dressing up for dinner thing. Nice restaurant atmosphere in my opinion is created more by the decor, service and food selections than guest attire. I can remember my meals at Cassanova but not what the other guests were wearing. A couple of (nicely dressed) rowdy drunks would ruin my meal but a couple quietly enjoying their meal in shorts would not.

the only reason me and my wife wont be eating at casanova when we get there is because of the dress code. we have no intentions of dressing up at all during our vacation there. however with that said i do not have a problem with the dress code.

As someone who wears "dress jeans" frequently...I'm disappointed that they are allowed at the "nicer" restaurants.

That said, there's no such thing as "dress shorts" unless you're 7, it's a warm Easter, and the AC at church is broken. Even in that hypothetical situation, I bet the hypothetical parent is wearing slacks.

We've been going to Couples resorts for 10 years so not new by any means. I know there is air conditioning but he hates wearing pants in the tropics. I don't blame him. I don't see how jeans are any dressier then a nice pair of khaki golfing shorts. Honestly only one time have I even noticed someone dressed sloppy at dinner - ironically it was at Eight Rivers....some guy in a cut off t shirt and ripped black jeans with a wedding party. Yeah that not so much appropriate for that restaurant so I see having some rules, but they've already allowed jeans so might as well allow nice shorts for men. I myself love to dress up at night but my hubby doesn't so I'm lucky to get one night of him in pants on vacation.

I prefer to wear dress shorts and a nice shirt as well. That being said, if you are going to force men to put on pants at least force them to put on dress pants. Don't single the Couples Resorts out on this issue, I have been to 3 other resorts in the past 3 years that like Couples won't allow me to wear Hilfiger dress shorts, a collard Tommy Bahama button down shirt and nice leather dress sandals to the nice restaurants yet man after man marches in wearing jeans and sneakers. Sorry, my outfit with dress shorts is classier than jeans and sneakers. If jeans are being allowed, this seems to me to be more of an obsession with forcing men to wear long pants than actually wanting them to look classy. Either require dress pants or allow dress shorts is my personal opinion. The point is really moot if you think about it. As long as nobody sees you enter the restaurant you could dine in swim trunks and a dress shirt and nobody would know since your legs are generally underneath the tablecloth once you are seated.

What are dress jeans? Is that even a thing? What does that refer to...no holes, dark color etc.? Does this apply to women too? Can I show up in a pair of skinny jeans and a tank? Maybe I'm an old-fashioned 37 year old, but I really don't see what the big deal is about wearing a nice pair of pants to dinner.

CSA 2014
    Booked for CTI 2017

"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" ~Bob Marley

You will roast your butt off wearing jeans in Jamaica.

Since when is business casual attire getting dressed up? It's not like they are asking for a suit and tie - that's dressed up to me. It's my excuse to pack a nicer dress.

Also don't understand why one would want to wear jeans in the tropics - kakis are cooler.

Personally, we really enjoy dressing up for dinner. This makes us feel like our dining experience is special.

Life is good

[QUOTE=EricW;275724]I prefer to wear dress shorts and a nice shirt as well. That being said, if you are going to force men to put on pants at least force them to put on dress pants. Don't single the Couples Resorts out on this issue, I have been to 3 other resorts in the past 3 years that like Couples won't allow me to wear Hilfiger dress shorts, a collard Tommy Bahama button down shirt and nice leather dress sandals to the nice restaurants yet man after man marches in wearing jeans and sneakers. Sorry, my outfit with dress shorts is classier than jeans and sneakers. If jeans are being allowed, this seems to me to be more of an obsession with forcing men to wear long pants than actually wanting them to look classy. Either require dress pants or allow dress shorts is my personal opinion. The point is really moot if you think about it. As long as nobody sees you enter the restaurant you could dine in swim trunks and a dress shirt and nobody would know since your legs are generally underneath the

While I also dislike the idea of wearing long trousers while on vacation I've always felt that Feathers at CSA is a special and romantic place. We'll be on our 10 trip to CSA and 13th.to Jamaica so having to put up with getting dressed isn't that big of a deal. The real problem I see is that Couples is dumbing things down for the younger crowd. Are jeans with holes and rips going to be considered dress?
    Who will make the decision? If you don't want to get dressed up don't eat at feathers.

Dress jeans?? Really??

This is a change that needn't be made. An evening of nice dining with a simple dress code shouldn't be anything that Couples should have to apologize for...slacks and a collared shirt is not a major imposition for anyone.

The cruise lines continued to dumbed down the experience until they made it mundane...that's why we spend our hard earned money to enjoy Couples.
    Last edited by Gatekeeper; February 19th, 2016 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beach-bum View Post
    Personally, we really enjoy dressing up for dinner. This makes us feel like our dining experience is special.
    We're in the same boat as far as enjoying to dress up a bit for dinner - and will continue to do so.
    But...to each their own. Someone wearing jeans (or dress shorts for that matter) would not effect my experience, while someone dressed to the nines but being obnoxious or disrespectful certainly could.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Ann ~N~ Paul View Post
    What are dress jeans? Is that even a thing? What does that refer to...no holes, dark color etc.? Does this apply to women too? Can I show up in a pair of skinny jeans and a tank? Maybe I'm an old-fashioned 37 year old, but I really don't see what the big deal is about wearing a nice pair of pants to dinner.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofthebeach View Post
    You will roast your butt off wearing jeans in Jamaica.
    Agreed, its the freaking tropics.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
    Dress jeans?? Really??

This is a change that needn't be made. An evening of nice dining with a simple dress code shouldn't be anything that Couples should have to apologize for...slacks and a collared shirt is not a major imposition for anyone.

The cruise lines continued to dumbed down the experience until they made it mundane...that's why we spend our hard earned money to enjoy Couples.
    Totally agree

Exactly!

THere is no such thing as dress jeans or dress shorts IMO. I have some very nice shorts but none of them would I wear to a nice restaurant at night. I wear long (lightweight) pants almost every night. My wife wears a dress every night. It is a 4 star resort with great classy restaurants at night. If you want to wear shorts every night we do not care as we get dressed up for ourselves.
    Terry & Lynne

If jeans became "dress jeans" because they became expensive and often added a designer's name on them then my NFL authentic jersey that costs $200 with my favorite player's name on it should be considered a dress shirt? Let's get real. Jeans were originally developed as tough work clothes and over time became casual wear. Slacks are lighter to pack, take up less room in your bag, and are far more comfortable in the heat of Jamaica. They also show your partner that she is worth you actually putting on pants to take her out to dinner. Class it up a little.

Ha, have to disagree Kris. There is such a thing as dress shorts but this is the first time I've heard of dress jeans. Jeans are jeans, admittedly some are smarter than others. Seems like a mute point as I have seen men in Eight Rivers with jeans the last three or four years. They better be policing it or we'll be seeing rips and tears and asses hanging out.

Three points;

1. As a Brit, I always find the context of the use of 'pants' amusing.
    2. "Dress Jeans".... would be laughed at if I went into a shop and asked for a pair, I think someone's been smoking
    3. I'd rather have jeans than the increasing sight of someone wearing a frigging baseball cap !

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast