Default Surroundings at CSA

My husband and I will be at CSA 3/25 - 3/30. Our first time to JA we stayed in Bloody Bay (not at CN, but at another AI resort). We love JA and can't wait to get back. We chose CSA over CN because we both want to experience 7-Mile Beach and more of the town of Negril. Can anyone provide some information on the area surrounding the resort? I realize that CSA is all-inclusive and provides excursions, food/drink, etc... I am just curious about what the town is like, what kind of places we will find if we walk down the beach, and the like. We are both pretty laid-back and like to explore the local places when we go on vacation. Any suggestions would be great!

Walking the beach you will find small shops, smaller hotels, bars and places to stop. There is a huge Craft Market if you keep walking....
    It's a long walk into town from CSA but a Taxi would not be expensive at all. Route Taxis run about 200J each.

If you go on Negril.com there are maps with names of everything listed.

The best description I can give of the lay of the beach is as follows...

SweptAway is located near the northern-most end of the longest stretch of 7-mile beach. Only Beaches and Cosmos are left to fill the beach before you reach the public beach then the break/island area before you get to the Bloody Bay portion of 7-mile. The bay the SweptAway, and indeed most of 7-Mile Beach lie in is called Long Bay.

To the south of SweptAway, you can walk all the way down to the round-about area of Negril, which is nominally where the Negril River enters the bay at the old Negril Yacht Club. After that, the landscape of the beach changes very dramatically to what is known as The Cliffs area of Negril along West End. This stretches all the way to just beyond the Negril Lighthouse, where things change back to a scrub/rocky stretch of beach.

As WandA note, there are a few places (www.negril.com, www.talkofthetownnegril.com and www.tripadvisor.com, to name a few) where you can get a pair of marvelous maps that highlight the relative locations of all the shops, resorts and bars located along Norman Manley Boulevard (the Beach Road) and West End Road (also known as One Love Drive along the Cliffs).

Hope that helps...
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

negril.com very helpful

Mostly just bars and gift shops to the left. Margartaville is about 10 min away. You'd have to drive into town. Or take the shopping trip from CSA. If you see something you like you can get your own driver later. The catamaran takes you along the coast too so you can see it all. We web parasailig along the whole beach and saw a lot.

Wanda, if you are on the beach looking at the water - which way to the Craft Market - left or right - Thanks, Janine

Quote Originally Posted by schdyny View Post
    Wanda, if you are on the beach looking at the water - which way to the Craft Market - left or right - Thanks, Janine

Sydney:

Most everything will be to your left. To the right is another resort then a small restaurant/bar called Cosmos (worth a stop) then more resorts. Many more things are to the left.

Here is a link to a map of Negril showing the relative location of resorts, restaurants, bars and attractions. Note, that it is NOT to scale, but we found it very useful.

http://www.negrilinfo.com/sitebuilde...miniupdate.pdf
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

If you are looking at the water from CSA take a " left" to enjoy Negril. Take a few dollars and stop and enjoy some of the local bars. You can stop at any of the bars on long beach, and enjoy a drink, they will not turn you away. Take a walk to Idle Awhile. It is a great non all inclusive, also owned by the family who owns Couples. It has a nice vibe.Also, if you want to take a longer walk, Aqua is a great place to stop. They have a nice bar on the beach, and the owners will usually love to show you around, ( it is an upscale bed and breakfast on long beach ) Forget Margartaville, it is not the real Negril and over priced. Also, as you walk, the smaller restaurants will have signs out on the beach if they are having any nightly entertainment that you may want to return and see. Yes, you will be approached by vendors as you walk down long beach. You must tell them a firm "no thank you ", not maybe, or maybe later. Also, do not use the excuse you do not have money with you, because they will gladly follow you back to CSA for the money. I walked the beach daily by myself, and I learned how to answer them so they left me alone. Also, if you make the mistake and go the wrong way from CSA you will find yourself at Beaches. It is next door ( even though you do not see it unless you leave the property ). You are allowed to walk on the beach of Beaches, however , you will usually run back to CSA. Beaches is loud in comparison to CSA and full of little kids. Here is a map link of everything you will find along the beach as you walk. It is up to date and is a great resource. http://users.alink.com/liz/negrilmap...a_Map_2008.pdf Enjoy Negril, and when you return from your walk you will be so happy you picked CSA because it is truly on the nicest stretch of beach on long bay.

If you're looking at the water, to the left at the end of CSA is a little resort with an outside bar. We enjoyed a cold Bud Light ($3.00). I know everyone will bombard me and say why spend the money for a Bud Light, when everything is included, but it was nice to talk to the people at the bar (and enjoy a Bud Light). We only did it once, but it was fun. We also walked to Margarittaville, about 10 minutes away. Enjoyed the sunset from our table and then enjoyed the walk back. It was our first time to CSA, and I can't say enough about the whole trip........fantastic from start to finish, and we will go back in a heart beat !!!!

Ge, thanks. I was wondering if I could get a Bud Light down there. I'll be at CSA in April and I don't mind paying for a Bud Light or two as that's my favorite beer. Not gonna go there every day or anything but I'd stop and have a few with some good conversation.

Thanks for all the great advice. I can't wait to be back in Negril again...30 days from tomorrow!

Ge,
    You mentioned that you walked down to Margarittaville and it was only 10 minutes away. Unless I'm missing something, Margarittaville looks like it's about 6+ miles away from CSA. We've never been to CSA only CN & CSS. April will be our first trip. We both like to walk and do it regularly but from everything I've been reading on the Message Board, it's a cab ride to Margarittaville. Is it really that close to CSA?

On our Honeymoon in 2006 we talked two other couples into going with us on a walk from CSA to the Negril traffic circle. We then took a cab back. I cannot recommend this enough. It was a terrific amount of fun. Here are some pictures

ENJOY your trip down Seven Mile Beach. I have to wait until the end of November before I can do it again.

Default Craft Market

Is it right on the beach ? how far a walk ? or is it on the other side of the road?

One other word of advice that we found works very well. If offered certain substances while walking the beach, instead of saying "No, thank you" politely (but firmly) say "I'm Good." They will definitely leave you alone then.

BeachbumsDD -

There are a number of craft markets/tables/displays along the beach if you walk south from SweptAway. The big craft market is about 4 km from SweptAway on the beach side of the road (near the roundabout).

Wear your bartering shoes...
    Chris

I mean "bargaining shoes"....
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by rjammin View Post
    Ge,
    You mentioned that you walked down to Margarittaville and it was only 10 minutes away. Unless I'm missing something, Margarittaville looks like it's about 6+ miles away from CSA. We've never been to CSA only CN & CSS. April will be our first trip. We both like to walk and do it regularly but from everything I've been reading on the Message Board, it's a cab ride to Margarittaville. Is it really that close to CSA?
    Maybe it was "12 minutes".....it was much closer than I anticipated. Another couple who had been there before took us. Nice to see the other little resorts along the way.....very interesting. All I know is that before I knew it, I was there! Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by gopanthers View Post
    Ge, thanks. I was wondering if I could get a Bud Light down there. I'll be at CSA in April and I don't mind paying for a Bud Light or two as that's my favorite beer. Not gonna go there every day or anything but I'd stop and have a few with some good conversation.
    We only went there once; but it was good "cold beer" !
    I can't remember the name of the place, but we signed out with the guard, walked about 20 feet, and the bar is right there on the left.... Enjoy!

Thanks Ge!! That's great, we'd much rather walk and check out the sites (and bars), both to & from. I'm looking forward to a seven mile pub crawl!!!

Ge -

The place you're talking about is Barry's... and yes, its literally only a few feet from the property line.
    Chris