Thread: Money??

Hybrid View

Default Money??

How much money would you and your partner bring for a week long stay even though it is AI? A laid back vacation, no excursions or fancy dinners, just hanging out, eating local food on sometimes. I don't know, we're just going to relax.

There will of course be costs attached to your commute but in Jamaica, you can literally get away with no cash except a tip for the shuttle driver in each direction. Your cash needs will be driven only by what you plan to do if you leave the resort and what gifts or souvenirs you choose to bring home.

Well, if you're going to do any shopping for souveniers, coffee or alcohol, you'll need either cash or CC. Otherwise, I'd suggest bringing a couple hundred USD for the activities you noted, plus tips (for things like baggage handlers at the airport, the bus driver, spa masseusse, cat cruise, beach musicians, and such).
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

When we visit CN, the only money we need is for purchases outside the resort...everything else is truly inclusive. So your cash needs depend on the type of shopping or "off site" activities you like. Since we love the CN property, shopping for us is limited to what we buy on the beach (jewelry, wood carvings, etc.). With this in mind, we need little cash.

Your interests may be different, so it's hard to provide a dollar amount. Also, there is an ATM on site in case you run out.

Enjoy!

bring some 1's and 5's..plenty..to tip your drivers and luggage handlers..also the spa staff I believe can take tips...beach musicians will definitely entertain you.You May want souveniers....best place for these will be the duty free section of the airport...it's a miniature shopping mall in the real sense, and the good thing is, it's safe to use your ccards there, thus..no need for cash..Our gauge usually is, whatever we can roll up from our coin jug, is our Jamaica cash =)

"best place for these will be the duty free section of the airport...it's a miniature shopping mall in the real sense, and the good thing is, it's safe to use your ccards there, thus..no need for cash"

Safe?? Not really. Our card was copied and used to attempt to open several Internet and Fax accounts.

I'd suggest taking about 200 dollars.

50 one dollar bills, 20 fives, and 5 ten dollar bills.

You will probably come back with some money in your pocket.
    nobody's favorite poster

I saw someone on the board said they think $2 bills are good luck in Jamaica. Is that true that you know of? I was planning on bringing a stack of $2 bills with me for tips, small purchases, etc.

Unfortunately for WandA, they could very well have been victims of an unscrupulous clerk. There are things you can do, like try to stay within line of sight of your CC at all times.

For every incident like theirs, there are countless transactions that take place normally. But you do still need to protect yourself.

One way is to let your CC company know that you will be traveling out of country... tell them from where they can expect to see legitimate charges. Better still, contact your CC company a month or so out to request a temporary card with a set limit for use on your vacation. It would still be wise to bring your regular CC, just in case.

As long as we're on the subject, I would also recommend that you record your CC number(s) and their respective customer service numbers in the unlikely case that they are lost or stolen.

Or (to come full circle on this thread).... bring cash!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Wanda...sorry to hear you had a scary experience with your CC info being used/stolen....We have, on 4 occasions, purchased things...t-shirts, license tags, liquor(sunshine liquors, to be exact)..and had no problems with our card...Was the individual that tried to rip you off in the airport,resort, or somewhere else on the island?