Default Margaritaville Insights

We are Couples and Jamaica newbies. Very much looking forward to our April arrival at CN. Looking through the excursions and was curious if anyone has insights on the Margaritaville excursion. Where is it? Is this the 'sunset bar' that I've seen references to in some information.

Any information would be appreciated.

CouplesNewbie10

I would skip the margaritaville trip and go to ricks instead. Margaritaville is completely underwhelming. Not sure why they even offer it as a trip.

No, it's not the Sunset Bar-

It's on Seven Mile Beach and it's really just a Bar with overpriced Hamburgers etc.

There is one at the Airport also, when you are Departing- if you MUST visit this place, I would skip the one in Negril and go there.

There is a Margueritaville about 2-1/2 miles from CN, or about a 10 minute walk down the beach from SweptAway. I don't think its the sunset bar they are talking about. Seems to me I saw that recently they were going to The Sands on the Cliffs for the sunset bar trip.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

It's about a 10 minute walk from CSA. We did walk there one afternoon, and the sunset was beautiful; but I would suggest the trip to Ricks if you're at CN. From CSA, it was a very nice stroll to and from.

Fajitas were excellent and margaritas were the best I've ever had.

(Not sure why people down this place. We loved it)
    Cole and Bry
    Texas

Definetly, as IACouple said, skip Margville and go to Ricks instead. Ricks has cliff divers, live Reggae, good service, a fun crowd and is in a different setting (cliffs). There is no cover charge at Ricks, but the divers will ask for tips (it's their job). You can also jump if you want.

We enjoy the Margaritaville trip with Couples from the Negril resorts. They offer a trip at, I believe, 5 PM. You get to enjoy a beautiful sunset on the beach and they have a fun beachparty. At least they did when we went. Plus my husband is a Parrothead and has to get his t-shirts. It's just for a couple hours and you're back in plenty of time for dinner. I wouldn't recommend the trip from Ocho Rios. They take you on Monday night at 11 PM and all they play is hip hop music. Not our cup of tea. We counted the minutes until the bus came to take us back to Couples. But if you go shopping to Island Village in Ocho Rios Margaritaville is there so you can at least see it.

On my wife and I's 1st trip to CTI in 2007, while we were at Margaritaville one of the guys with us got robbed in the bathroom. Of course these are different locations but when we went it felt like a hip-hop club downtown in a big city. I wouldnt recommend it at all. The drinks were high priced and you get hit up to buy drugs about every other minute! There are plenty of other places to enjoy in my opinion.

We went to the one in Ocho Rios on a Saturday night with another couple. The tour from CSS was on a Monday night and we were leaving Tuesday, so we decided to go on our own. Let me tell you- it was not like the brochure or videos on youtube! It was all locals, no Jimmy Buffett music. We stopped in on the shopping tour and had a margarita, which was great, but there still wasn't much activity. We did more shopping there than anything, but they had pretty much the same things (and better sales) at the airport.

As a frequent Margaritaville visitor and a HUGE Jimmy Buffett fan, I do agree that they are overpriced and the food is not that good, especially if you consider that the food at the resort is already paid for. However, i do plan on walking down the beach and getting a Margaritaville Negril T-shirt to add to my collection. However, based on everything I've read the last 2 months on these boards, I won't be eating there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    There is a Margueritaville about 2-1/2 miles from CN, or about a 10 minute walk down the beach from SweptAway. I don't think its the sunset bar they are talking about. Seems to me I saw that recently they were going to The Sands on the Cliffs for the sunset bar trip.
    Sands is lovely ...we were there just over a week ago.

We walked there from CSA just to say we had been and to buy a t-shirt. We did have a margarita from there and it was good but all in all still just a margarita!!

When you are talking about beautiful sunsets. Go to Ricks Cafe. they have amazing views. Watching the divers jump off the cliffs was fun.

Wow, sounds like the Margaritaville in Ocho Rios is quite different from the one in Negril. It is a short walk down the beach from CSA. We went in '07 during the day and there was music and games on the beach. We hung around a while and just observed, everyone participating seemed to be having a very good time. Pretty good party atmosphere for the middle of the day. Maybe a daytime visit is preferable to going at night. We will probably walk back again this summer for another visit, maybe have a drink and a bite this time. Besides a friend of ours wants a tee shirt.

Thanks to all for the discussion about Margaritaville excursions. Rick's does sound like a fun altenative. I'm assuming you'd get set up with taxi to get there. Is it also a good idea to go in a group or with another couple?

CouplesNewbie10

CouplesNewbie

I believe Couples will provide a bus...
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"