Hybrid View

Default Charlotte Airport

I'm looking at flight options for our trip to CSA December 2-10 and one of the cheaper ones is to fly through Charlotte (we've always gone via Atlanta previously).

Can anyone share their experiences of Charlotte? Is checked baggage transfer quick and reliable? How are customs and security for the return flight?

Any past experiences would be appreciated; I want to ensure we have sufficient time for us, and our luggage, to travel on the same plane.

Thanks,
    Karen

Never had any problems connecting through CLT, and we go through there a lot. Much better in our opinion than ATL where it's about a 25% chance your bags won't make the connection if it's less than an hour.

Great airport been through there many times just recently coming back from CN 1st week of February great place to clear customs, very quick and efficient!!!

We love going through Charlotte. I think that it has the easiest set up for clearing customs, re-checking your bag and getting back through security.

We've been through both CLT and ATL on various trips. Although we didn't have any real issues with Atlanta (except one lost bag on the return leg once), Charlotte seemed easier and quicker to get through. Charlotte is a smaller airport relative to Atlanta with less traffic. Customs/immigration on the return was faster in Charlotte. If I had the choice and prices were similar, I'd pick the Charlotte route over the Atlanta route without any fear or delay.
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

I've never had any trouble flying through Charlotte. It's a relatively simple airport to navigate, and easy to get in and out of. Although I did forget to change my watch moving across times zones once and ended up missing my flight! Boy those coin operated tv's were a godsend.

CLT is a pretty nice airport. It's all interconnected, so you don't have to shuttle among buildings like ATL is. Customs is pretty efficient for coming back. It's pretty up-to-date, and is a pretty decent place to spend a layover at if you have a longer one.

nvang13-too funny! We just booked our flight through Charlotte and the first thing our travel agent said about Charlotte was to remember the time difference because alot of people miss their flight because of it for some reason from that airport. Luckily cell phones usually switch time zones for us!

My preference is always Charlotte vs. Philadelphia when we fly USAirways. They are very good at baggage handling, and the Customs/Immigration is set up very well. We connected through Charlotte both coming and going to CSA a few weeks ago. No problems at all. In fact, I'm connecting through Charlotte later today, too.

Went through CLT the last 2 times to CTI from Syracuse without any problems. A bit of a line returning back but everything went fine. Make sure you have some time for your connecting flight.

I had the same question about Charlotte for our travel agent when booking our upcoming trip to CTI. We had honeymooned at CSA 3 years ago, and we had an ordeal in the Atlanta airport where we missed our connecting flight and had to book a flight through Miami to Montego Bay on a different airline. Luckily, we only lost about 4 hours of travel time. Still, we wanted to avoid that situation again if at all possible, and when I expressed concern about having "only" a 1-hour layover in Charlotte, this was our travel agent's response:

"I fully understand your concerns about layover time especially with Atlanta & Miami. I’m going to suggest a flight connecting through Charlotte. Charlotte is much easier to navigate and it’s much easier to clear customs on the return."

I sure hope he's right!

BEST EVER

Always our FIRST choice.

They usually do not get backed up for many reasons like Atlanta

We are flying into Charlotte too and have only a 56 minutes layover until our flight to MB.......I am hoping that not only I make it to the plane on time, but my luggage does as well!

Quote Originally Posted by tjsgirl View Post
    We are flying into Charlotte too and have only a 56 minutes layover until our flight to MB.......I am hoping that not only I make it to the plane on time, but my luggage does as well!
    We are in the same boat. In our past trips to CSA we had non-stop charters available out of StL. No more. We are flying USAir through Charlotte both ways this year. Our flight down has the same layover as you. From all I have been able to learn it should not be a problem though. My biggest fear is getting out of StL on time to make the connection. But, again, it appears that it should all go smoothly.

Isn't air travel fun?

Good luck to all with the transfers in Charlotte. Have a great trip!

Quote Originally Posted by tjsgirl View Post
    This sounds like our typical Charlotte - MoBay flight. 56 minutes is plenty of time for the trip down. You and your bags will be fine. We've never had any trouble with that long (short) of a layover in CLT. I wouldn't be comfortable with only an hour layover on the return flight, just in case. But on the flight down, you'll be glad you won't have hours sitting and wishing the clock would move faster to get you to MBJ.
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

Quote Originally Posted by NeedBlueWater View Post
    This sounds like our typical Charlotte - MoBay flight. 56 minutes is plenty of time for the trip down. You and your bags will be fine. We've never had any trouble with that long (short) of a layover in CLT. I wouldn't be comfortable with only an hour layover on the return flight, just in case. But on the flight down, you'll be glad you won't have hours sitting and wishing the clock would move faster to get you to MBJ.
    I think Im just getting the pre-travel jitters...I travel about 3x per year and have never missed a flight or lost any luggage....I guess my negative side is thinking Im due,lol.

Other than customs being kind of bizarrely situated (you basically leave the airport and come back in after customs), it was quick and easy. Better than Atlanta in terms of congestion and speed.

Charlotte is my favorite of the east coast airports. It is the easiest to get around. Last year on our trip to CSS we only had a 40 minute layover. We had plenty of time. I have not booked tickets for our summer trip to CSS because I am waiting on their prices to go down, but I will pay more to fly through there and avoid Atlanta or Miami.

Thanks for all the feedback. Our flight last November gave us 1 hour at ATL - however, our plane was delayed leaving CVG, and when we landed at ATL, we sat on the tarmac for at least 10 minutes before we taxied to the gate. We still had plenty of time to make it to our MJB flight, but, our luggage didn't. I have to say that Delta did a great job delivering it to us at CSS that evening (and we had taken clothes in our carry on to change into), but it was still frustrating.

Looking at the flights through CLT, we would have a 1 hour layover, but from the responses here, it sounds like that will be OK.

Thanks everyone!

Karen

Default ATL and Short Layover

Quote Originally Posted by nguc54t View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. Our flight last November gave us 1 hour at ATL ... We still had plenty of time to make it to our MBJ flight, but, our luggage didn't.
    We did a similar flight through ATL in December with 47 minutes to catch our connection. Our Dayton-ATL flight gated at Terminal A and the outbound international flight to MBJ was out of Terminal E (Furthest possible away from A). We were nervous but made the flight without issue. The train in ATL is very efficient. They call it the APM or Automated People Mover.

I gave a HUGE sigh of relief as I looked out the window of the plane and saw our bags sitting on the tarmac waiting to be loaded.

On the return, we packed all of our (read wife's...lol) shoes in our beach/duffel bag to make room in the other bags for souvenirs. The "shoe" bag never made it from ATL to DAY. Our only complaint really was that when the courier left the bag on our front porch the next morning, he called us from his cell phone as he was leaving our driveway to let us know he delivered. It was 3:30 AM!!!
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

I went through clt on the way to CSA and it was great. No issues on the way there. Customs was very fast but the security line after that was backed up a little. We had an hour layover and made it no problem.