Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Alternative transportation to Timair

I've read many great posts about Timair. However, if you're a little skiddish of flying, and worried that maybe weather conditions might not allow flying, the next best travel option (besides the bus), is the Limo service. We contacted the service the night before we arrived. We ordered a White Stretch (9 passenger) limo, and had them put Red Stripe and Champagne in there. The Limo was $400 plus a 20% gratuity ($480.00). The drinks were $43. The Limo was waiting for us at the airport.....the Red Stripe and Champagne were iced, and our driver, Dwight, was in a black suit and hat.....very nice! The drive was pleasant, not rushed or scary; as can be on a bus. We needed to relieve ourselves of the Red Stripe, so Dwight pulled over to a very nice place. We arrived at CSA ahead of the bus. At 7 am on our departure day, Dwight was waiting with the car when we arrived in the lobby. We hadn't drank our champagne the first trip, so we brought it along, and had a leisurely drive as we sipped our champagne. We arrived at the airport in an hour! Of course Sunday there isn't much traffic. The experience was wonderful.......that's the way we will travel from now on from the airport to the resort. There was a group of people who saw us getting in our limo and asked about the price.......they had never thought of ordering a limo, and if you have several couples, the price might be more affordable. Something to think about for your next trip. That's the only way we'll travel from now on.

Was it $480 per trip?

Where did all your luggage fit?

Glad you enjoyed it, but for us we'll stick with the bus ride provided for free (included)... we actually like the bus ride too.

WOW!!!! I could stay an extra 2 days for that price just to come and go!!!! You must be very loaded in the money department. Nice! I wish I were you... <GRIN>!!!

Quote Originally Posted by goodygirl View Post
    Was it $480 per trip?
    $480 was total........going and coming. The extra $43 was for the Red Stripe and Champagne.

Quote Originally Posted by LLPC View Post
    Where did all your luggage fit?
    Luggage was in the trunk.....it fit nicely. If you had more couples, then you might have to sit with some in the car, but for just us, it went in the trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearso View Post
    WOW!!!! I could stay an extra 2 days for that price just to come and go!!!! You must be very loaded in the money department. Nice! I wish I were you... <GRIN>!!!
    Not loaded.......just did what we wanted and what was important to us to add a little extra pleasure. Also, we know how things can change in life, and we want to enjoy all that we can.....read our story #75 on the Valentines Day page; and you'll see why we want to enjoy life to the fullest.

It's story #75 (Ge).

Even though we have four couples in our group arriving on 4/17/2010 on the same flight, we will stick to the free bus. It can be as fun as you make it and not willing to give up the chance to meet our new neighbors for the week.

56 days 17 hours 58 mins 40 sec

I feel guilty enough on the drive to and from CSA in the bus. I can't imagine that trip in a limo. Just not my bag I guess.

As I said, it's just what we enjoyed. I've been to Jamaica 14 times, and on 13 of those, rode the bus. It is nice to meet people, and if that's what you enjoy, then don't change. This time was special........ What about everyone that flies? The cost is about the same, and that only takes 15 minutes. At least we saw the 4 little towns we drove through, and still got the flavor of the country. Anyway, as long as you enjoy what you're doing, then that's all that matters...right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ge View Post
    Not loaded.......just did what we wanted and what was important to us to add a little extra pleasure. Also, we know how things can change in life, and we want to enjoy all that we can.....read our story #75 on the Valentines Day page; and you'll see why we want to enjoy life to the fullest.
    Hey, my philosophy is whatever floats your boat....and if doing this floated said boat, then bully for you and your SO. If it gave you the pleasure that it certainly appears to have done, then it was money well spent. Good for you!!
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Our preferred splurge is a flight to save time, otherwise we book a private transfer so we at least do not have to stop. We are always anxious to get there when we arrive.

On the way home, our flights are typically around noon so we take the free shuttle.

Last year, we were on the shuttle bus with four other couples we had never met before. By the time we got to CN, we were fast friends. I think the Red Stripes helped. But anyway, we had so much fun with all these guys during the week. I wouldn't have traded that for the world. We still keep in contact and we are planning our next vacation together.

waste of $ IMO...the bus ride is great, you get to meet other couples at couples on the way, a bit of jamaican culture by your driver...I'll take the bus!

Great info.
    I remember a post some time ago about limo's and most respondants answers were that there was no such thing as Limo's in JA. Now we know that's not true.
    Glad you had a great experience, Ge.
    To those that flamed them, relax, it's NOYB

Thanks for sharing Ge.... Sounds Wonderful! Very Romantic and Very Special!!
    Art xo Francine

Maybe it's just me but think the point of this thread was to advise people of transportation options...of course it may not be for everyone, just as TimAir or the shuttle may not be for everyone. Gotta say, feel like everyone's dumping on the idea and although it may not be worth the money for some, for the others who are travelling with groups or just want to splurge, thanks for sharing...
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Kissed View Post
    Maybe it's just me but think the point of this thread was to advise people of transportation options...of course it may not be for everyone, just as TimAir or the shuttle may not be for everyone. Gotta say, feel like everyone's dumping on the idea and although it may not be worth the money for some, for the others who are travelling with groups or just want to splurge, thanks for sharing...
    Thanks, that's all I was trying to do......

Sun Kissed, I agree. We don't like shared transfers and would not personally splurge on a limo for the two of us but would if we had a group of friends with us. Sounds like a great way to start vacation!

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Kissed View Post
    Rep.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Ge -

Thanks for sharing the info - this sounds like a lot of fun, and a nice splurge. Please don't take to heart the postings of any of the negative nellies on this board - some people just can't see beyond their own opinions (IMHO) :-)

This sounds like a definite possibility for us! We're getting married at CSS and have 2 other couples coming with us. We're arriving at different times but all leaving at the same time. I don't see any information on the limo company itself though. Can you provide?
    Also, read your story on the Valentine's Day page. Loved it! You just never know when love is going to find you. My fiance and I have been friends for 26 years and were actually at each other's weddings! We finally figured out what everyone else seemed to already know once we were both single again. Life is just too short, so enjoy every moment to its fullest!

Seriously, ya'll....

I HATE the bus. We don't spend the extra $$ on either TimAir or a private shuttle, well, because we choose not to spend the $$. That being said: if I had money to burn, there is NO WAY I would take the bus. My DH is 6'7" and doesn't fit in the seats. I have a bad hip and by the time we get to CSA, I'm exhausted and ready to drop.

I appreciate that people like the socialization aspect, but honestly, I would give up the bus in a heartbeat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast