Thread: Rick's cafe

Hybrid View

Default Rick's cafe

Does anybody know how far Rick cafe is from CSA...

It is about a 15 to 20 minute ride

10-15 min cab ride.
    Rick's is a must do at least once to watch the cliff divers (the pro's) and the sunset from the cliffs.
    Last edited by Mzambo; May 2nd, 2010 at 11:59 AM.

When the guests of CSA go on the catamaran, can you go up the cliff's at Rick's or can you just swim in the water. Also, is there a shuttle that can take you from CSA to Rick's or do you have to hire a cab?

Generally, the cat cruise from SweptAway goes as far as the Negril Lighthouse, pausing BRIEFLY at Rick's for a quick view of the divers. The cat then returns to a lagoon area below the cliffs at PushCart (formerly Pirate's Cave), where they will anchor for some swimming, cave exploring, etc. There is usually an itinerant diver or two there who will jump for tips.

They used to allow us to climb the blow hole up to the bar, where, for $2 you could have a quick cocktail and jump off the cliff. The lawyers have decided that's not such a good idea.

So for now, if you're interested in being a "drunk tourist falling off the cliff", as the Jamaicans call us, you'll need to cab it to Rick's.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Default To Rick or not to Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    They used to allow us to climb the blow hole up to the bar, where, for $2 you could have a quick cocktail and jump off the cliff. The lawyers have decided that's not such a good idea.

So for now, if you're interested in being a "drunk tourist falling off the cliff", as the Jamaicans call us, you'll need to cab it to Rick's.
    Say it Aint So!!! When did this happen. We were at CSA in 2007 and I jumped although there was no bar involved. Just crossing a dangerous street and paying a lady 2 bucks at a locked gate at the top of the stairs.

Jumping off the cliffs is one of the best parts of the Cat cruise. Can anyone say "waiver"? I'd sign off for the chance. Although you aren't jumping from Ricks, you are pretty close and the cave is pretty cool.

Ive heard mixed reviews on the shuttle to Ricks and Ricks in general. We didnt feel like we missed out. The Cat cruise is definitely the way to see what people go to see...the divers.

Quote Originally Posted by tigermon View Post
    Say it Aint So!!! When did this happen. We were at CSA in 2007 and I jumped although there was no bar involved. Just crossing a dangerous street and paying a lady 2 bucks at a locked gate at the top of the stairs.

Jumping off the cliffs is one of the best parts of the Cat cruise. Can anyone say "waiver"? I'd sign off for the chance. Although you aren't jumping from Ricks, you are pretty close and the cave is pretty cool.

Ive heard mixed reviews on the shuttle to Ricks and Ricks in general. We didnt feel like we missed out. The Cat cruise is definitely the way to see what people go to see...the divers.
    Having done both, I have to tell you the divers at Pirates Cove (not sure what they are calling it now) don't even come close to the divers at Rick's (the pro's) the heights and tricks they do are well above the divers at Pirates Cove.

How far is Rick's from CSS?

Quote Originally Posted by Ky2Jamaica View Post
    How far is Rick's from CSS?
    About 3 hours. Rick's is in Negril on the west side of Jamaica, CSS is in Ocho Rios, on the north side.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014

CB - 2015

You can do the excursion to Ricks Cafe. We took the shuttle with several other couples. It was like $10 each or something like that. They drop you off and tell you what time you will be picked up. Just be out front at the assigned time.

Oh, they offer an excursion from CSS?

Quote Originally Posted by Ky2Jamaica View Post
    Oh, they offer an excursion from CSS?
    CSS does not offer a Rick's excursion (CSA does), but if you really wanted to take an entire day to go to Negril you could pay for a cab. I wouldn't recommend it though.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!

CB - 2015

I don't know how true it is, but a friend of our said he had went there several times. He also said not to pay for a cab because Rick's offers free shuttle service, all you have to do is call them. We've never been there (yet), so I'm not sure how true that is...but may be work a call.

I am pretty sure Rick's doesn't have a shuttle, unless they added it since April. If anything they'd send you a cab, which is something the resort can do.

http://www.rickscafejamaica.com/
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!

CB - 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    I am pretty sure Rick's doesn't have a shuttle, unless they added it since April. If anything they'd send you a cab, which is something the resort can do.

http://www.rickscafejamaica.com/
    Actually they do offer a shuttle, one way though, so you still have to pay for your return to your resort. Cabs in Negril do not come cheap negotiate in advance to avoid surprises........

Does the cat cruise actually take you to to Ricks?

tigermon -

They closed off the jump point at Pirates Cave (now Pushcart) when it changed ownership in early 2009 (Mar/April time frame?).

Mzambo -

Oh, I definitely agree with you! The guy (or guys) at Pushcart are really just pikers and wannnabes... the guys at Rick's are the premier cliff divers, perhaps the best in the whole world. You might even call them a bit crazy!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"