Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: CTI Questions

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    11

    Default CTI Questions

    Hi,

    Recently booked our first trip to Jamaica.. and dont actually have long to wait either! We've booked 5 nights at CTI 13th-18th March then 5 nights CSA 18th-23rd march. I expect I'll be making a 'CSA Questions' thread too! Although I have been reading the boards I have a problem of half remembering answers and then not being able to find the posts again! Anyway, here goes...

    - We arrive in Jamaica from the UK on the saturday afternoon / evening and on the restaurant and dining page on this site a few of the restaurants are closed on a saturday. Is this because there is an event that night? What options for eating would there be around 7.30 - 8pm?

    - I know this is probably a personal preference, but is the orientation tour worth it as I know CTI is quite small compared to some of the others.

    - We thought we'd do Dunns Rivers on the sunday because it's our only day there when there are no cruise ships.. how much of a difference does it make when the ships are in though if we're unable to book on that day? How long does it take to get there? And roughly what time would we be back at the hotel?

    Thanks!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    Hi,

    Recently booked our first trip to Jamaica.. and dont actually have long to wait either! We've booked 5 nights at CTI 13th-18th March then 5 nights CSA 18th-23rd march. I expect I'll be making a 'CSA Questions' thread too! Although I have been reading the boards I have a problem of half remembering answers and then not being able to find the posts again! Anyway, here goes...

    - We arrive in Jamaica from the UK on the saturday afternoon / evening and on the restaurant and dining page on this site a few of the restaurants are closed on a saturday. Is this because there is an event that night? What options for eating would there be around 7.30 - 8pm? You can eat at the Gala Buffet, that is the dinner event

    - I know this is probably a personal preference, but is the orientation tour worth it as I know CTI is quite small compared to some of the others.Yes, it is not long and you will learn alot.

    - We thought we'd do Dunns Rivers on the sunday because it's our only day there when there are no cruise ships.. how much of a difference does it make when the ships are in though if we're unable to book on that day? How long does it take to get there? And roughly what time would we be back at the hotel? You want to go when no cruise ships are in, it is a lot less crowded. You will leave at 9 am and will be back at 12 to 1 pm.

    Thanks!!
    Enjoy
    Irie Mon

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    We thought we'd do Dunns Rivers on the sunday because it's our only day there when there are no cruise ships
    It will be interesting to (hopefully) read your review on this excursion to know how it turned out without the crowds from the cruise ships. We're going in April and intend on doing likewise: booking our excursions when there are no ships in port. For us, we'll only have three cracks at booking two activities, DRF and the canopy tour. And one of those opportunities falls on our last day at CTI, which is not good because what if something goes wrong or the weather is atrocious that day. Then we'd be SOL.
    Ron

    Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,309

    Default

    Kanga ~ You don't make a reservation for Dunn's River. Just show up in the lobby and all who show go. (Check with the front desk on the time, I forgot what time you need to show up.)
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Thanks for the replies. Glad we're pretty much guaranteed to do the falls trip when we like. Although ideally we would have liked our first full day there to be spent doing the orientation and getting to know the hotel if the cruise ships not being around makes a big difference then we'd rather do it then. Looking forward to the trip and will definitely try and post a review when we're back Ron.

  6. #6

    Default

    Maybe a stupid question, is there a place to find out when there are cruise ships in port?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caribbean beach bum View Post
    Maybe a stupid question, is there a place to find out when there are cruise ships in port?
    Yup:

    http://www.portschedules.com/

    http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/

    http://www.tropicalports.com/CruiseShipTracker/

    Or, just use http://www.startpage.com to search for "cruise ship port schedule"

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Glad we're pretty much guaranteed to do the falls trip when we like. Although ideally we would have liked our first full day there to be spent doing the orientation and getting to know the hotel if the cruise ships not being around makes a big difference then we'd rather do it then. Looking forward to the trip and will definitely try and post a review when we're back Ron.
    Thanks Kanga, will definitely keep an eye out for your review. It's funny, but our situatons are similar. We'll be arriving at some point on a Saturday afternoon, and like you, we would have preferred to spend our first full day just kickin it at the resort, taking the morning orientation, yada yada. But Sunday also happens to be a no-ships-in-port day, so it's a golden opportunity for us to take advantage of such and do the falls. The next no-ships day is Tuesday, and that will serve as our Canopy Tour day. All this of course is weather permitting, natch.
    Ron

    Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default beach front rooms???

    does CTI have beachfront rooms and if so what are they called so i can book one!

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geoff*nix View Post
    does CTI have beachfront rooms and if so what are they called so i can book one!
    CTI only has ocean view rooms which all face the beach front. However, none of the rooms have direct beach access, like at CSA.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geoff*nix View Post
    does CTI have beachfront rooms and if so what are they called so i can book one!
    CTI does not have rooms that go right out to the beach. They have Superior Ocean, Deluxe Ocean, Premier Ocean and Ocean View Jr. Suite and Ocean View Suite.
    Vicky

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geoff*nix View Post
    does CTI have beachfront rooms and if so what are they called so i can book one!
    none of the rooms are directly on the beach.....so all there are is ocean front rooms.... =)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    223

    Default

    My fiance and I climbed Dunn's River Falls in November on a Sunday without any cruise ships in port. It was really nice. No crowd! The only downside, is there are less targets for the vultures in the "craft mart" after your trip. Climbing the falls is fun, worth your time, but after you are done, tip your guides (they will take wet money, no worries!), and head directly to your bus. The craft area is a "high pressure" zone at least from my experience. It soured me on wanting to shop in town because of the pressure and haggling and pushyness of the people. The sales out on the lawn, along with the gift shop, and the "mall" at the airport provided plenty of pressure free shopping!

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barren View Post
    My fiance and I climbed Dunn's River Falls in November on a Sunday without any cruise ships in port. It was really nice. No crowd! The only downside, is there are less targets for the vultures in the "craft mart" after your trip. Climbing the falls is fun, worth your time, but after you are done, tip your guides (they will take wet money, no worries!), and head directly to your bus. The craft area is a "high pressure" zone at least from my experience. It soured me on wanting to shop in town because of the pressure and haggling and pushyness of the people. The sales out on the lawn, along with the gift shop, and the "mall" at the airport provided plenty of pressure free shopping!
    Barren, thanks for the pros & cons on how much smaller the crowd is at DRF on those shipless days. As you said, the one down side is we make easier targets for the vendors to swoop in on.

    I think I've read where there's a way to avoid them, at least the majority of them by heading directly to the bus. Something about as soon as you are back down from the falls, you cut to the left or whatever. Can you or anyone else who has recently done the falls offer additional details on this? Thanks.
    Ron

    Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    35

    Default

    yes cut to the left on the path you walked in on

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    339

    Default

    Ron & Rosa 25, I replied on an earlier post and suggested to be first in line after you climb the falls... and just move quickly through the shop and don't make eye contact. If you stop, everyone behind you has to stop.
    And thats what they want. Someone else suggested (and I like this better) is to exit through the entrance. I guess they will holler at you but just keep walking. Good luck.
    Now can someone fill me in on the canopy tour? This is the first I've heard of such a thing. And how long does it take? I don't want to miss Island time.
    Don.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theo63 View Post
    yes cut to the left on the path you walked in on
    Thanks for confirming this, Theo.


    Quote Originally Posted by doncindy View Post
    Ron & Rosa 25, I replied on an earlier post and suggested to be first in line after you climb the falls... and just move quickly through the shop and don't make eye contact. If you stop, everyone behind you has to stop.
    And thats what they want. Someone else suggested (and I like this better) is to exit through the entrance. I guess they will holler at you but just keep walking. Good luck.
    Now can someone fill me in on the canopy tour? This is the first I've heard of such a thing. And how long does it take? I don't want to miss Island time.
    Don.
    Don, one good turn deserves another. Here's a link to the zipline, AKA the canopy tour:

    http://chukkacanopy.shoreadventures.net/

    The last I checked, it's about $89 pp, including transportation to and from the resort. You can book in advance or arrange for it at the Couples activities desk. The excursion features 9 ziplines of varying length. Not sure about how long it takes - I'm guessing a 3-4 hour range from pickup to dropoff.
    Ron

    Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doncindy View Post
    Now can someone fill me in on the canopy tour? This is the first I've heard of such a thing. And how long does it take? I don't want to miss Island time.
    Don.
    We did the Ziplining trip one year from CTI. We booked it at the tour desk once we arrived. There is a morning and an afternoon trip. Hubby dives so we did the afternoon. We left around 12:30/1:00 and were back around 4:00p. Chukka will pick you up, pick up CSS guests (or any other surrounding resorts) and then drive to their facility, which is about 15-20 mins. away. Then you will load another smaller bus that takes all ziplining participants up into the mountains to the platforms. You'll get your gear and learn all of the safety tips from the guides. There are 9 traverses and it's fun!! If you want to pay for an extra excursion, this one is great. However, if you've never been to CTI, there are so many included trips that you might be busy as it is.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •