Default To Timair Or Not To Timair

So my wife and I are trying to decide whether or not to use the Timair service on our way to the resort. We know we will take the bus back to the airport when the time comes but as far as arriving at the resort we would like to get there as soon as possible. We get in later in the day 5-6 pm and aren't sure if it is worth it time wise in regards to arriving at the resort.

So here is what we are trying to find out. Two couples arrive at the airport at the same time. One couple takes the bus, the other takes Timair. Are you really gaining that much time by taking the plane to the resort (CTI)?

Thoughts anyone?

Chris & Jaclyn
    Dare to DREAM

We took the plane last December and loved it. It is so beautiful flying along the coast of Jamaica. We did arrive before the bus (don't know how much), but I would still do it for the experience. I say GO FOR IT!
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

We took Timair to CN in April. We were at the CN front desk an hour after we walked off our flight in MoBay. 15 minutes later we sitting at the beach bar having a drink and catching some sun. I think the bus ride is at least 90 minutes from the time you board the bus... which is probably no less than 30 minutes after your plane lands in MoBay. I would say you will beat the bus by at least 60 minutes, probably closer to 90 minutes.

if you get in that late you will not be able to take timair, there are no lights at the strip in Negril and timair does NOT fly in the dark. It gets dark in Jamaica around 6 or 6:30

we have used Timair many times, sometimes you beat the bus by an hour and sometimes you beat the bus by 15 minutes, it depends how busy the timair counter is, if the cessna is ready, the bus ride can be as little as 1 hour if you are traveling at off peak times, m-f and no rush hour. You can ask the driver to NOT stop for bathroom break.

I believe that lobster night is Friday night as well (which is when we get in). We leave on Friday afternoon the following week. Hmmmmm....

Chris & Jaclyn
    Dare to DREAM

i think it really depends. if you get to the TimAir desk quickly, and a flight is ready to depart, and if when you land in Boscobel a taxi is waiting to take you, then you'll save about an hour.
    the last time we did it, things did not go well and we didn't save more than like 15 minutes.
    However, with that being said, the flight is incredibly beautiful and a nice way to see the island from above. if that's as important as saving a little time, then go for it. you can take the bus back to the airport and see the island from the road also. If you're strictly looking to save time, it may not be worth it. When the rates were a lot lower a few years ago, it was great. But now it's pretty expensive.

fyi i do not believe timair fly after dark... i know a few years ago before the completion of the road we were delayed landed at sunset and timair was not flying after sunset ...

We are glad you started this topic as we are also considering using Timair when we go to CSA in December and are curious as to others opinions as to the time saved or not. We have the direct flight from Ohare that gets into MB at 11:30 am so any time saved to get right into that "Jamaican time" and cocktails on the beach is a bonus in our mind/eyes.

We've taken TimAir round trip two times. One time we had thunderstorms and were delayed taking off for 1 hour. During the flight I was looking in the seat back for the life jacket. Normally you fly at 1500 feet. This day we were flying at 500 feet.

Last December we flew TimAir and from the time our AJ flight touched down until our toes were in the sand was one hour!!! Now that's why you take TimAir!!

With a late arrival I would take the bus to Negril and the TimAir flight back to MoBay. You can stay on the beach for at least two more hours by not taking the bus. We've taken the one way trip several times and it's a perfect way to end your trip.

Thank you all for your input. After I had posted yesterday I started thinking about the sunset and getting dark. Not knowing that they do not fly at night, my thought was, if its dark then what would be the point? You wouldn't be able to see anything anyway.

However, I hope this helps someone else in their decision. As for us, we might just take advantage of it on the way back to MoBay.

Chris & Jaclyn
    Dare to DREAM

We enjoy flying both ways from MBJ to Negril. The only irritant is the tipping of Timair personnel. I know some would consider this nitpicking, however...$5 for the porter from the Timair counter to the Timair van and then another $5 from the van to the plane and then $10 to the pilot and another $5 if there is a co-pilot. (We have been told that the pilots expect gratuities). Once you land in Negril, a $5 tip to the porter to take you luggage to the taxi and then another $5 for the taxi to drive you across the road. All this after spending over $100 per person for the flight.

Quote Originally Posted by louieandsusie View Post
    We are glad you started this topic as we are also considering using Timair when we go to CSA in December and are curious as to others opinions as to the time saved or not. We have the direct flight from Ohare that gets into MB at 11:30 am so any time saved to get right into that "Jamaican time" and cocktails on the beach is a bonus in our mind/eyes.
    We have taken that same AJ flight out of O'Hare. It usually gets into MoBay early. Last December everything went perfect. We upgraded to first class at the AJ counter. We were the first ones off of the plane, no line at immigration, our luggage was waiting at the baggage claim, off to the TimAir counter, the shuttle van is waiting, the plane is waiting, take off. Once we landed in Negril we took a cab from the airport to CSA. CSA will send a free shuttle, but it takes up to 20 minutes. The taxi was $10 and we were at CSA in 10 minutes. It was well worth the price.

When we go in December it's just my wife and I. We only go for 5 nights so the faster we get to CSA the faster we can start our vacation. When we go in March we go with two other couples. We take the shuttle from MoBay to CSA and then we all fly back on TimAir. With 6 of us in the shuttle the party starts as soon as we pick up some extra beer for the ride to CSA.

We always take TimAir on the way back. The bus ride is just too sad after a wonderful vacation at CSA.

Attachment 531

Landing at the Negril air strip

Attachment 532

CSA from the air.
    Last edited by yazmon; March 10th, 2010 at 09:18 AM.

If I was using Timair for only 1 direction, I'd take it when I;m leaving. You get at least an extra 2 hours at the resort that way and it's a fun way to say "farewell" to Jamaica.

We've tried taking the shuttle both ways, taking Timair both ways and taking Timair once per trip both on arrival and on departure. IMHO, departure is the best bang for the buck. Only draw back was we had to secure the full cost of the flight with a credit card when we booked. I had concerns about doing this but in the end there were no problems. Just make sure you confirm you flight 24 hours before your departure.

If you fly with Timair, tell Patrick at the Negril office that Karon from Canada says "hi".
    Have fun.
    Karon

I have to put in a plug for the shuttle bus. We just returned home from a week at CN. On the way to Negril we rode on a shuttle with six other couples we had never met before. We all instantly bonded and they became our best friends for the rest of the week. We had so much fun together in all the resort activities.
    I am still laughing. I am so glad we all met on that shuttle bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimnmariann View Post
    I have to put in a plug for the shuttle bus. We just returned home from a week at CN. On the way to Negril we rode on a shuttle with six other couples we had never met before. We all instantly bonded and they became our best friends for the rest of the week. We had so much fun together in all the resort activities.
    I am still laughing. I am so glad we all met on that shuttle bus.
    As a first time visitor next year to Couples and Jamaica for that matter, I wouldn't have it any other way than to take the shuttle. Not only will it save us a batch of Georges that we can use elsewhere on our trip, I am actually looking forward to these "infamous" rides that I've read so much about. Now maybe if I was a 5,6,7, etc time veteran to the resort, I'm sure at some point I'd like an alternative to the usual method of transportation, so Timair sounds like it would make for a dandy alternative. But for our debut, ain't no way but the highway for us.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Showmecpl, We took the TimAir on June 27th to CN. We arrived an hour before the bus. On departure the shuttle leaves the resort four hours before your flight home. I was told if you take the TimAir you have two extra hours at the resort. It was a beautiful sight from the air.

First, last I knew there were no runway lights for the flight in Boschbel Bay which is where you land for CTI. Therefore, no evening flights and it gets dark early at CTI for some reason. It's about 20 minutes from the resort. Second, it took us 1 hr. 30 minutes from immigration to check in recently. 1 hour 40 minutes return. If you don't want to stop, the driver won't stop until you get to the resort.
    Vicky

We've considered TimAir and always taken the bus. On arrival (given that our flights are typically late), we'd only get maybe an hour extra on the beach. I'd rather put the $$ toward an extra day at Couples.

If the busdriver doesn't stop, the bus ride isn't THAT slow. Go easy on the Red Stripe and a stop won't be necessary.

Returning, we fear that, if for some reason, the plane is delayed, we will miss our flight back. Worry warts, I know.

Also, we find it interesting to see the changes en route from the last time we visited. We like to see some of Jamaica other than the resort. And the anticipation as we near CN . . . priceless!!

We just returned from CN and took Timair both ways. LOVED IT!!!! We will budget it into next years trip!
    If it would have been our first trip I would have definitely taken the shuttle. We've done that the last 2 trips and did enjoy it. This time we wanted to try something different. The cost is a little high but it was a great experience with beautiful views. I think it saved us an hour going to the resort and 1 1/2 hours going back to the airport (only because we are paranoid and wanted to fly back a little bit earlier than Timair suggested!) I think either way of traveling to the resort has it's plusses. We can't stay longer than 7 nights right now so saving the money to stay longer isn't an option for us. I guess this is kinda like the whole "which room should I choose and is it worth it?" question.
    Cindy

I like the bus, it is relaxing and a good way to wrap your mind around vacation. I would rather spend the $$ on an extra day.

Quote Originally Posted by Vickyj View Post
    If you don't want to stop, the driver won't stop until you get to the resort.[/COLOR]
    But then you miss Yow's.

We really enjoy the shuttle. It is the start of our trip. We get to chat with folks on the way there, and we love the stops and the views on the way to our home away from home.