Default Steps at CSS & New Years Eve time frame

Mid 50's couple thinking of going to CSS for new years how strenous are steps. Its our 1st trip to Couples or readinfll posts sounds like a great place. Thinking of going for 5 nites over new years and is that a good time to go. Will weather be allright and is this the resort we should go to? to long or to short a time. Any helpful ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for you thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by John Goleman View Post
    Mid 50's couple thinking of going to CSS for new years how strenous are steps. Its our 1st trip to Couples or readinfll posts sounds like a great place. Thinking of going for 5 nites over new years and is that a good time to go. Will weather be allright and is this the resort we should go to? to long or to short a time. Any helpful ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for you thoughts
    Spending New Yearz @ CSS is a wonderful thought. We go mid December and save a bundle. You could check the prices and for the same amount of money you will get a few more nights.
    The steps are not a big deal. Just take them slowly. Or you could call for the van and save the steps. You could even get a beachfront room and have no steps to climb

CSS is by far the most romantic of all the Couples resorts. It is like staying in a hotel set in a botanical garden with ocean views

My wife has bothersome knees, the steps were a real bother for her, luckily we stayed in the 1br of suites, (block A & B). The only time that you have to use the steps is for the internet cafe, balloon bar, 1 restaurant. The majority of the activities take place on the lower level.

I would say that (5) nights is a minimum. Temps are pretty consistent in Jamaica.

Beautiful place

Hi John,

Having just been at CSS and hearing about all the steps and being afraid myself I can tall you it's not that big a deal - If you stay on the cliff chances are you will walk down the steps 1x to go to the beach and walk up one time to get dressed for dinner and depending on where you eat you may have another trip up and down so at most on any given day you can limit the flights of steps to 3x at most. Now if you book on the beach front then you'll have even less trips on the steps. If you take it slow it's not a big deal and there is so much beauty walking the steps you can stop and reflect along the way to wherever you are going.

There is also a shuttle van that will pick you up and deliver you to the top of the hotel should you not choose to take the stairs.

The beauty of CSS far exceeds any concerns for stairs.
    ... it keepsh me shane

It's not as terrible as it seems after reading the boards, but it's definitely worth noting and something to be aware of. How much you actually climb the whole distance largely depends on your room, but you'll likely go up and down at least a couple times a day.

Having said that, there are "work-arounds" for just about everywhere you go. You can avoid the steepest steps and take a winding path, or you can cut over to elevator or walk up the service road. And you can also call a van from any number of places that will pick up up in a matter of minutes and zip you to the top.

I probably wouldn't choose to go if I had severe mobility issues, but even for the incredibly lazy and out of shape (that would be me), it's not a problem.

I would suggest you pack a slightly roomie beach bag so that if you are in the further rooms, you don't have to make multiple trips back throughout the day for books, sunglasses, etc.

(On a not-very-related topic, I had a nasty dentist appointment today and managed to get through it only by picturing the San Souci and listening to Bob Marley in my head.)

John,
    My husband and I just returned from our first trip to CSS. It was an amazing and romantic trip where we celebrated our third anniversary. We are in late 40's and the steps did not pose a problem for us. We had such a wonderful time, that the week we returned I booked a week for us over New Years! I hope we get to meet. I can't think of a better way to ring in the New Years than with the man I love at CSS! If you and your wife decide to book, you will not regret your decision. The phrase that I have heard many a time on this message board---once you go you know---is definitely true.

All the best,
    SuzyQ

Default Don't worry about the steps

Unless you have unusual health problems the steps are not that big a deal. There is a wonderful van service that Couples provides to take you up or down the hill whenever you call and the drivers are as nice as can be. You should definitely walk the steps a few times anyway just to take in all the beautiful scenery as well as to walk off some of the calories you will be enjoying while you are there! I can't think of a bad time of year to visit any of the Couples resorts. They are just the best kind of heaven. You WILL regret only going for 5 days, though. Don't say I didn't warn you!!!

My wife and I were both 57 when we went to CSS. We are in reasonable shape, but certainly no athletes and we both felt that the complaints about the steps are totally overblown. When we wanted to liesurely return from the beach to our D block room,(which is midway up the hill) we went around to the ocean end, which is more ramp than steps. If we were in a hurry, then we took the steps. We went each way about an equal number of times. Don't know about New Years Eve, but we were there for 6 nights. Five would be a minimum. Seven would be better.

My wife and I are also mid 50's and went to CSS in April of 2008 & 2009. We stayed in a penthouse both times in buildings "E" & "D" respectifly. They are both up the stairs. We had absolutely no problem dealing with the stairs. We had only stayed at CN before that and, we too, were a little aprehensive about the stairs. We read a lot on TA and the Message Board that concerned us. After the first couple of days we wondered what everyone who complained about the stairs were talking about. Can't advise about staying 5 days, we always go for at least 8. I think 5 days at any Couples would be better than 8 at any other resort. Be advised tho, if you go for 5 this time, you will be coming back "home" for at least a week on your next trip to Couples. And there will be a return trip for you, guaranteed!!
    Don't know about New Years either but we are thinking of doing that this year ourselves. This year we're checking out CSA for the first time in 28 days!!! You'll love CSS.

Steps, "no problem mon" Just think of them as a way to justify all the eating and drinking you will be doing.

As a more concise addendum to my prior post, I'll say this: The stairs are enough so that, if you're on the other side of them, you may think twice about how much you really want/need the item you left in your room, but that's about it.