Default First timers....

My boyfriend and I are going to CSA May 9th-15th. We are super excited because it is our first trip to Jamaica. I am glad to hear that a mid 20's crowd is also seen at this resort as we are 23 and 25. I am also glad that it is not a desired spot for "spring breakers". I did have a question about the rooms. We are upgrading to the atrium room but are weary from other reviews that said it is near the road and noisey. Any thoughts? is a room upgrade worth it? Also I am a little worried about the drive from the airport to the resort. I have read that it is an hour drive. Does anyone have any feed back on the caravan ride? Tips or suggestions? Your responses are appreciated.

Can't answer you question about the rooms, our resort of choice is CN. But you should figure about 90 minutes from the airport to the resort. Maybe a little longer depending on how long you stop for, if you stop. We have not stopped on all our trips, mostly because we were the only ones on the shuttle and did not want to stop.

Not sure what kind of feedback regarding the shuttle, I hope that this helps.

The Atriums are great and the ride from the airport is no problem, go and enjoy yourselves at CSA.
    nobody's favorite poster

Actually, the Atrium Suites are located in the interior gardens of the resort, between the Garden Suites (which ARE on the road) and the Beachfront Suites, in the original area of the resort. You'll love 'em!

The ride from the airport is what it is... nominally a 1-1/2 hr bus ride. The only way to avoid this is to fly TimAir from MoBay to the Negril Aerodrome (on your own shekel); about an hour process from the Couples Lounge to the FBO area of the airport for checkin, followed by a brief 15 minute flight in a four seat plane. You game? ;-)

We don't mind the bus ride... its included in the price of your vacation, and you get to see the countryside along the way. No need to worry.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

My wife and I are also first timers going to CN in 11 days (not that we're counting). We are living on the edge and taking an air taxi with Tim Air to avoid the long journey. Its a 15min flight in a 6 seater prop plane. cost is $107.00US. Should be fun!
    Paul & Margaret
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Default See you there!

Can't really help with the first timer questions because we too are first timers, but we will be at CSA for our honeymoon from the 10th - 17th. I am 31 and she is 24 so at least we know that everyone won't be in the 50+ crowd...not that there's anything wrong with that!

Hi there! I haven't actually been to CSA, but I've been researching like crazy because that's the resort my husband and I plan on honeymooning at! I read in a previous post that the buildings (being closest to the road) go Garden Suite, Atrium Suite, Beachview Verandah ( I may be saying that one wrong) and Beachfront suite...basically, the Atrium would be one level away from the road. I've read from other posters that the noise really doesn't seem to be an issue, even in the Garden Suites. I actually plan on booking the Atrium suite just because the hammock looks so fabulous!

As for the drive, I've read that the driving times have improved due to the improved road construction/condition. I think the only other alternative would be to take Tim Air and considering I don't like flying to begin with, there is no way you are getting me into that teeny tiny airplane!

Good luck and have fun! I can't wait to book my trip!

The atrium suites are our preference too!! we love them. The verandah is huge and has a hammock. the bathroom wall for some reason doesn't go up to the ceiling! LOL i'm not sure why, but it's a little below the ceiling leaving a small gap. It has never been an issue to us, but is to some ppl. The windows do not have glass. they are just screens with wooden shutters that you can close. we love this feature. with the shutters closed, the air conditioner works great and we don't get mosquitos from the screens either. We LOVE this room!!! we choose the upstairs room because the ceiling is open beams and higher. The garden suites are by the street. we have never had an atrium suite by the road before. you could probably specify that you don't want atrium by the road too.

Default relax!!

The ride is great. You will see the country and it's famous spots
    as told by the driver. You stop half way to use the restrooms and
    buy beer if you want. A good idea is to ask the coulples people
    at the airport to get you a six pack for the ride. My wife and I do every time we go!! Don't upgrade your room, its not worth it!
    hope this helps you. My wife and I are going back for our 5th visit on May 15th.

Default You will love it!

We have been here a few times and (and we are in our late 20's) and always got the Oceanview room because we were scared of the Garden rooms and the next to the road thing. Well if you have an Atrium room you WILL NOT be dissapointed. Other than the fact there is no fridge or Liquor provided in the room, it is totally worth it. None of the Atriums are near the road, and with an Atrium you also get a hammock that is so relaxing on the back porch.

As far as the drive, we preferred it every time, because it is all part of the experience! The drivers are always interacting with everyone on the bus and Bob Marley is playing as well. You stop halfway to the resort at the local Jamaican shop and eat Jerk Chicken and relax for a minute and then head on your way. Remember though, they drive on the other side of the road and the steering wheel is on the other side as well, and to pass each other, they honk and drive by. Scary sometimes, but they always pull it off!

No way you can be dissapointed. Greatest place in Jamaica! PERIOD!

"Also I am a little worried about the drive from the airport to the resort. I have read that it is an hour drive. Does anyone have any feed back on the caravan ride"

We've never made that trip in an hour . Plan on closer to 90 minutes, allowing for traffic and if you are carrying any passengers who are staying at Couples Negril- they will be dropped off first.
    Also, most people ( ahem ! ) Tip the busdriver, as he is not an employee of the hotel....$10 per couple is about the norm.
    Last edited by WandA; March 4th, 2010 at 09:56 PM.

We will be there from May 8-May 15! I am sure we will see you there!

Take the bus ride that is included and save some $$$$. As some have already stated it is about a 90 minute trip including the reststop for a Red Stripe or to use the facilities. Yes, tip the driver and the bellhops who load your luggage on the bus. No tipping once you get to CSA though.

Default Heads up on Tipping

Quote Originally Posted by WandA View Post
    We've never made that trip in an hour . Plan on closer to 90 minutes, allowing for traffic and if you are carrying any passengers who are staying at Couples Negril- they will be dropped off first.
    Also, most people ( ahem ! ) Tip the busdriver, as he is not an employee of the hotel....$10 per couple is about the norm.
    Thanks for the heads up on tipping Bus driver - This will be our first trip to CN can not wait 22 days and counting down.

Quote Originally Posted by MichMan View Post
    I am 31 and she is 24 so at least we know that everyone won't be in the 50+ crowd...not that there's anything wrong with that!
    That has Seinfeld written all over it.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Thanks so much for all your input... one last question. Do the shuttles from the couples resort come to the airport at certain times? or will they be there when your flight lands? I'm wondering because our flight arrives at 1pm and want to be prepared if we have to wait an hour or a couple for the shuttle to arrive and take us to the resort. Thanks!

Shuttle is no problem...prior to the trip, my wife was upset that we would have to take a 1 1/2 hour shuttle ride from the airport to the resort. After the trip - she did not mention it as a problem at all. After you get your luggage, etc - you will find the Couples area where you 'check-in' and wait for the shuttle to leave. We waited maybe 15-20 minutes - not a big deal. They were well organized and were ready for you. Yes, the airport luggage guys expect a tip (a few bucks). The shuttle is comfy enough, you'll see some of the local towns, countryside - it is nice to see...sometimes a bit sad as many resorts around the world are in less developed areas.

As for the room - Depends on what you want to spend. If I remember correctly -for our 6 nights, it was like +$400 to go from garden to Ocean View. Then another +$300 to go from ocean view to beach front. We got the ocean view. In retrospect - we would have enjoyed the beachfront much more for the extra $$.

If you can afford to upgrade, do it. You'll love the Atrium Suites. As for the ride. I actually really liked it because I got a chance to see Jamaica outside of the resort. Our driver was very friendly and welcomed questions. We will be leaving the day after you arrive. We are there May 5-10!!