Default How do you book your vacation?

We are returning to CN in 34 days for our 4th visit. We are already thinking of booking for next year in April to take advantage of the special. We have booked through and airline company (flight and hotel together) before, but never through Couples. At this early date, it's impossible to book a flight for next year this early. My question is, do you book your flight and hotel separately? Do you go through Couples? Is there any difference that you've seen booking it through different sources?

Thanks for any help you can give us!

We always travel in April and have already booked for 2011. You can't book your flights this early - the airlines only put flights out about 300 days in advance.

We've found it's always cheaper for us to book the hotel really early, but then our flights actually drop in price about 4 months before we leave. We booked the resort directly with Couples (used to use an online TA but no go direct) but will book our flights direct with Continental sometime around January/February. In fact, for our trip this April, we booked the hotel in June 2009 but just bought our flights about 3 weeks ago. For us, flights are always cheaper if we book direct with the airline. If you would like any other info, feel free to email me (amy.welch@hotmail.com).
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

We book the resort portion of our vacation directly with Couples by calling the 1-800 and the flight portion directly with the airline. You can make your Couples reservation now and simply make your flight reservation online on the airline's website when flights become available. It's easy.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

We almost always book air and hotel separate. I like to get air from the source, the airline itself. Got burned by a TA and Air Jamaica fiasco a few years back. Plus, I tend to find the best rates on the airline sites rather than a booking engine.

For hotel, I use an online vacation site that cannot be named here. If you do a Google search for "all inclusive discount," it will be the second one (excluding the ones at the top in the "Sponsored links). Our upcoming trip will be the 4th with them and we've never had an issue. You actually do work with a person once you accept their quote, unlike some larger ones. Once we have our air information, I just contact them to add that information on the reservation for purposes of the hotel knowing when to expect us (for the transfer).

Thanks for the info! We booked everything (room and flight) last June, but with all the changes with airlines going on, Delta gives me a heart attack everytime they email me with some changes to our flights! Luckily, so far there haven't been any major changes, but I think we'll try it the way you do it for next year. I can't wait!

prs-your post made me laugh. we are flying delta in apr for the first time and I keep getting notifications too! One is the flt arrives mbj 15 min. later (still leaves NY same time) and the other is they are now charging for the first bag which was free when we booked pkg with an online source. We usually book hotel & air separately but for some reason this year the trip was about $400 cheaper booking the pkg online.

We book with Couples directly then get our own flights. I like to shop around for flights with the airlines, so it suits us. The only thing is the insurance you get with Couples does not cover flights so you would have to get coverage from the airline if you want it.

Due to the great offer we too have booked for April 2011 and are going to book our flight seperately. It will be interesting to see what kind of difference there is as we usually book everything together.

mobob-I don't think we've gotten an email that they are going to charge for the first bag. When did that happen? Do you know how much it will be? I guess we just pay it when we check in?

I made a mistake and tried to book using a debit card through couples.com... and through calling couples... after that was all figured out, I ended up just booking through a big name travel website ending in ocity. No issues.

I always recommend that my clients take advantage of the early booking specials for the resort and wait to book airfare. I usually monitor the historical pricing of flights from their cities and try to book the airfare when it is close to the avg. low price for the year.

bj's vacation!! great buy!

Default baggage fees ?

Quote Originally Posted by mobob View Post
    prs-your post made me laugh. we are flying delta in apr for the first time and I keep getting notifications too! One is the flt arrives mbj 15 min. later (still leaves NY same time) and the other is they are now charging for the first bag which was free when we booked pkg with an online source. We usually book hotel & air separately but for some reason this year the trip was about $400 cheaper booking the pkg online.

MoBob,
    Hopefully you printed off a flight confirmation on the day you booked your flights, take this with you and they will waive the added bag fee as it was not in force at the time you booked, they can't nail you for what you did not sign up for, you may need to elevate your tone somewhat or ask to speak to a supervisor but hey, if you are both taking bags, that $100.00 belongs in your pocket not theirs.

Tom
    CSA 4/17 > 4/24 1st time can't wait

prs-I was wrong. The email states in the US, Canada & some parts of the caribbean (but not Jamaica).

Thank you-that's great to know!

I always do a little on-line shopping for a price, then compare that to my favorite TA... she's always in line with her pricing, usually better.

Normally, I book my air separately.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Wow what a hassle it seems all of you are going through. I have a long standing relationship with my travel agent and book everything through her office. She's listed as an authorized TA on the Couples website and she also knows when the airlines are offering specials or when prices are going to change. Why put yourselves through all the trouble? If I pay a few bucks extra to my TA I'm glad to support a local buisness who employs four other women besides the owner instead spending my hard earned money at some faceless website. She also thanks me by arranging for us to get some little perk which is nice, like a free bottle of wine when we take a cruise. Just my opinion in these tough economic times. So don't shoot me for saying I'm more than happy to possibly pay a few extra bucks to a TA...lol. By the way, if I run into any problems during my trip I can call her and she'll jump through hoops to help me out of a jam.