Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default guest etiquette at CSA

was at CSA last week, 2nd visit:

a few observations of and requests for fellow guests:

please do not slam room doors or drag furniture around

please do not talk loudly in stair wells or on paths below rooms
    early in am or late in pm

please use serving tongs provised at buffet and not bare hands

please be cognizant of your surroundings and use the phrase excuse me when appropriate

please treat staff with respect and as human beings not as
    robots serving you

Zaraforty-
    Good luck with that ....

This past trip was the worst as far as other guests being loud, obnoxious and just plain rude to Staff

May I add

Don't talk so loud on your cell phone from your balcony that we have to go back inside our room to hear each other speak ( I'm not even going to say "please" )
    Last edited by WandA; March 5th, 2010 at 10:42 AM.

Hmm...I thought these rules should be followed everywhere not just at CSA. Some people just have no class and feel that they're above it all. Your last item really struck me. Before our trip to CSA in Dec. 08 I read on these boards that the wait staff wasn't very friendly. When we got there we found that the staff was trying to be professional and did seem a little cold. We started talking to them as we would to a friend and their Jamaican charm seemed to just come right out. They are awesome people.

I just have two questions. Did these observations ruin your vacation? What good things do you have to say about your trip for others to note?

It should be simple. Just be cognizant of the fact that other people are around.

It always pains me when I see people not treating staff with respect. I see it far too often, and that's even more of a shame when you consider just how good the staff at Couples is. They are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by WandA View Post
    This past trip was the worst as far as other guests being loud, obnoxious and just plain rude to Staff

May I add

Don't talk so loud on your cell phone from your balcony that we have to go back inside our room to hear each other speak ( I'm not even going to say "please" )
    Quote Originally Posted by steveg52 View Post
    Hmm...I thought these rules should be followed everywhere not just at CSA.
    True, good manners and respect should be expected at any resort. I'm curious about one thing. This poor behavior, which seems as if it's been on the rise of late (or maybe it's just a case of more people reporting it), is there any relationship to age brackets? Not trying to stereotype, this is a sincere question. Does this less-than-stellar behavior occur mostly in the younger set, the older crowd, or does it run across all age levels?
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

The trip overall was very good and I am already booked to come
    back for 10 days in November.

I would say the behavior I described spreads across all age groups and the entire world seems to be getting ruder and cruder.

PS one I forget. Cigar smoking being allowed in the Palms restaurant. I really think cigars should be outside only in the public areas.

" Does this less-than-stellar behavior occur mostly in the younger set, the older crowd, or does it run across all age levels?"

It can be , espcially when Alcohol is involved

but really...
    younger people, under 30, seem to be more respectful of Staff and locals in general....and don't usually run their mouths about "how many times they've been here " or "how much this vacation is costing" them...

I attribute much of the rude behavior to excessive alcohol consumption. I think that many of the people at Couples resorts are normally quite pleasant and respectful to others. But they are also not in the habit of having access to unlimited alcohol available at all hours of the day and night. I know I am not in the habit of downing several pina' coladas all day long on a regular basis, but that is what happens at CSA. Not having experience at alcohol consumption all day long, many folks don't know when they have crossed that line from enjoyment to over indulgence. And most of us know what happens to some folks when they have had too much. Yikes!!

Not saying this is the sole cause of some behavior problems or disrespectful attitudes, but I'm sure it has some bearing on the issue. What to do is another problem. I have had occasion to suggest to some individuals that maybe they need to skip a round or two and recover for a couple of hours so as not to spoil the rest of their day or evening, not to mention those around them. Some times this is met with a thanks, other times a not so pleasant response to mind my own business.

It is not strictly a Couples problem, and I don't think it is terribly prevalent at Couples either, thank goodness. But maybe we all need to consider when enough is enough and try to maintain a level of decorum that is appropriate to the classy environment that Couples tries so hard to create at their properties. It is not necessary to try to consume all the alcohol on site during your short stay simply because it is there. Have fun, drink up, but keep an even keel and try to respect the other guests and staff.

And for those that don't need alcohol to be an obnoxious creep: you're on vacation, will ya try not to be an ass for just a week.

Quote Originally Posted by zaraforty View Post
    I would say the behavior I described spreads across all age groups and the entire world seems to be getting ruder and cruder.
    younger people, under 30, seem to be more respectful of Staff and locals in general....and don't usually run their mouths about "how many times they've been here " or "how much this vacation is costing" them...
    Thanks to both for your responses. I was trying to avoid the stereotyping, it was more a case of wanting to understand why poor behavior seems to be on the increase. Altho zara put in broader terms, perhaps this is the best answer. Maybe it's just a matter of people being more rude in this day and age.

Oh well, I can only vouch for two people who I can assure will be respectful of others during their stay, be they fellow guests, employees, or Jamaican citizens in general.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

What I think is being noticed is the general decline in civility and the general increase in people felling a sense of entitlement.

I am constantly asked if I was in the military (even though I was not) because I treat people with respect and address folks with yes sir and yes ma'am. Common courtesy and politeness are turning into occurrences in today's world.
    My wife and I have been out together the last two Friday nights and watch other couples rather than enjoying each others company just sit there and play with their phones, sad really !

I do not think slamming doors, talking loudly and dragging furniutre around your room at 7am in the morning is due to excess alcohol consumption

I do not think slamming doors, talking loudly and dragging furniutre around your room at 7am in the morning is due to excess alcohol consumption
    You would be surprised. A hangover makes for a poor attitude in the morning, and I have seen people stumble in to breakfast already loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by blueseagolf View Post
    What I think is being noticed is the general decline in civility and the general increase in people felling a sense of entitlement.

I am constantly asked if I was in the military (even though I was not) because I treat people with respect and address folks with yes sir and yes ma'am. Common courtesy and politeness are turning into occurrences in today's world.
    My wife and I have been out together the last two Friday nights and watch other couples rather than enjoying each others company just sit there and play with their phones, sad really !
    maybe the games on their phones were more stimulating then the conversation they could have a lil critical thought takes away lifes mysteries

it could be if you stopped drinking at 6 am lol...

One of our Bar Stockers is in his early 20's but muchmore sensible than many of the older guests.-He told me how they see SO many guests ... in his words " they are not used to having so much Rum and they drink a bottle every day "

Quote Originally Posted by blueseagolf View Post

I think this speaks volumes to the problem in general. If people cannot respect their spouse, this is the person they love most, how do you expect them to have any respect for anyone else? I hate to see people sitting together in a restaurant and one of them talking on the phone...that is the ultimate in rudenss....not to mention, I don't want to hear the conversation either. I think it is the same thing with SOME people at the resorts...people with a sense of entitlement have NO respect for the people taking care of them or the beautiful country they are dirtying up. If you dont' appreciate it, you don't deserve it!

. . . . please do not slam room doors or drag furniture around . . . .
    What's up with the furniture moving? We were at CN a couple of years ago and were in a second-floor room in Building 9. Every morning, it sounded as if the people in the room above ours were dragging furniture from one end of the room to the other; sometimes they moved different pieces simultaneously. I have no idea what they were doing or why they were doing it. I'm no decorator, but I think the furniture is fine right where the resort decided to place it.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Quote Originally Posted by dirtleg View Post
    And for those that don't need alcohol to be an obnoxious creep: you're on vacation, will ya try not to be an ass for just a week.
    LMAO Dirtleg.
    Hey there was an iron question earlier... You gonna respond?

But seriously, we have noticed in general here in Florida a decline in politeness and manners. People don't hold doors open.... They don't say please and thank you. They don't smile and wave.

We have become a "fast-food" society with the manners to match.

This behavior is not unique to CSA (or any other resort). It's just the way some people are, which is to say clueless, rude, or obnoxious (or all 3). My wife and I will often be out somewhere and one of us will point out a person or persons who are just totally oblivious to the rest of humanity. We tend to watch them with detached fascination, wondering what planet they might have come from.

I don't know if people like that are really just completely clueless, or if nobody ever told them what a complete and utter a$$h0le they are to their face. In any event, based on my observations I think it's an epidemic.

was at CSA last week, 2nd visit:

please use serving tongs provised at buffet and not bare hands
    seriously they're using their hands?

We didn't really have any of those experiences at CN last year and hope not to have any next week when we are there again. Is there typically more of a "party crowd" at CSA? If so - give CN a go!

" Is there typically more of a "party crowd" at CSA? If so - give CN a go! "

Typically, no.
    In 2009 ? Yes....way too many comments along those lines. And when drinking is involved, four people can be a loud party crowd.

But it's not just at CSA-
    Last edited by WandA; March 9th, 2010 at 10:32 AM.

blueseagolt and rocket dog -- you are right on!!! I totally agree that this is not a CSA thing or an alcohol thing. It's the me-generation -- a sense of entitlement and rudeness. It's very sad. Where is common courtesy and compassion? I see it all the time, and I don't understand it. It takes no more energy or concentration to be nice. And it's better for your health to be happy and giving!!!

One of our Bar Stockers is in his early 20's but muchmore sensible than many of the older guests.-He told me how they see SO many guests ... in his words " they are not used to having so much Rum and they drink a bottle every day "
    IMO some people feel that when they go to an all inclusive....they have already paid up front.....so now they try to get more than their monies worth. I have actually heard people try to break down their all inclusive...by averaging the cost for lodging per night....then food per day....then what they feel would be their alcohol bill.

I am surprised to hear about all of the noise at CSA. We were there last January for 2 weks of peace and quiet. This year we tried CTI and oh my! I'm sure we were spoiled by the lack of traffic outside our door at CSA, the layout is such that we really had none. We were 3rd floor Garden Verandah Suite and other than the couple on the first floor that spent 3 days and nights vowing to either kill one another or take them to the cleaners in the divorce, it was lovely. We were in building 3 at CTI and as many of you know, it is very much a hotel. Voices travel extremely well! Every night until about 3 we could hear happy people bidding each other goodnight at the top of their lungs then the doors slamming. We were thrilled to move to CSS and a layout similar to CSA. Bottom line, THINK ABOUT OTHERS! If there is a chance that your neighbours are asleep be quiet. I feel better now.....

" Does this less-than-stellar behavior occur mostly in the younger set, the older crowd, or does it run across all age levels?"

It can be , espcially when Alcohol is involved

but really...
    Finally I am in the "respectful" age group! LOL
    I thought it was going to be the young ones that were rude. I get a little more discouraged by my generation every day it seems. It's nice to get a little good feedback once in a while! I can't imagine being rude and unappreciative like that though. Maybe it is because I am still young and have not been everywhere a ton of times. I am still in awe of the fact that I am even able to travel to such an awesome place. Hopefully I don't ever loose that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast