Thread: pelican bar?

Default pelican bar?

We will be staying at Couples Swept Away and would love to go to the Pelican Bar, does anyone know how far from the resort it is, or how long it takes to get to where you board the fishing boat to take you there. We have already been to YS Falls, and the Black River twice, so we would not be interested in doing those tours again, just to the Pelican Bar. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LLPC View Post
    We will be staying at Couples Swept Away and would love to go to the Pelican Bar, does anyone know how far from the resort it is, or how long it takes to get to where you board the fishing boat to take you there. We have already been to YS Falls, and the Black River twice, so we would not be interested in doing those tours again, just to the Pelican Bar. Thanks
    i think you will get lots more detail if you
    [ ] google it
    [ ] check out negril.com and do a search
    [ ] tripadvisor search the ja forums

if you do go plan a whole day between the actual drive to and from. and time at the bar. also remember to bring along a sharpie to let everyone know you were there enjoy

Haven't been there myself, but from the testimony of others it is nearly an all day trip out and back. Mixed feelings have been the norm on whether it is worth the time and coin to make the pilgrimage, and that's what it is to some, to the Pelican Bar. Some have said it is a must do trip. Others have said it was very disappointing, not much going on there, and after a beer and a spot of food it was time to make the trip back. Watch your thread for more feedback. I have been thinking of making the trip as well, but mrs. dirtleg does not see the novelty of spending a day of our vacation to visit what is essentially a shack out on the water.

when are you staying there we are here apr 5-12 we want to go too.

It is quite a ways from CSA to the Pelican Bar. I wouldn't do it if that is the only thing you are going to do. I don't remember the distance, but being at the bar for only about 30 minutes is not worth the long ride there and back. I'm not sure what else you could do along the way, but I'd find something to group with the trip.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Default melissa

We will miss you, we will be there from the 16th to the 26th. Let us know if you decide to do the trip. I have heard mixed reviews regarding the pelican bar, not sure if it is worth a whole day of travel.

It's one of those trips where you say that you've been there,done that & have some neat pics to show for it. We made a day of it & did it on the way back from the YS Falls. It will take 1/2 day doing just the bar with the ride to & from & a few beers.[ATTACH]Name:  Couples Negril 2009 295.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  76.0 KB[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Llpc

LLPC-it looks like we will be at CSA same time you will be. Are you still interested in the Pelican Bar? We are also and maybe we could share a trip and make it less expensive? my email is beardwn@msn.com

Jessica

If I had already been to YS Falls, I would not take the time and money just to go to the Pelican Bar. It's interesting to see and all, but to me it wouldn't be worth a special trip to see a bar that is 1.5 miles off the coast, eat lunch on a stump (though lunch WAS excellent - lobster stew!) and wade/swim/sun outside for a little bit.

We went on a trip to YS Falls, then to Pelican Bar when we were there this past July. It was from about 8am to 4pm there and back, but that includes about 2 hours at YS Falls. Four of us went and it was $85 a person for a small air conditioned van to take us there and back. We used Talk of the Town Tours in Negril.

Default Go...

We went in Nov. 2007 on a shared tour trip & included the Rum Distillery, and Dolphin watch...it was a long all day trip, but we had such a great time seeing the "real" Jamaican culture, and got to know the people riding with us who are now great CN friends that we keep in touch with (Yeah that's you Joe and Kelly). Our tour drivers were Sienna and Gilbert...who we also keep in touch with.

I think my favorite was the ride on the John boat to the Pelican Bar...we got to see a couple pods of Dolphins, and the bar was amazing!

It's not only a great experience to see and do things outside of the resort, but also a wonderful way to meet life long friends!