Default question on large carvings

We will be at CTI in 2 weeks and have a question for people that have done this before. I've always seen those beautiful large carvings that the locals sell and always was tempted to get one. It brings up a few "problems" though and wonder if anyone has brought any and what their solutions are.
    No1. The locals tell me that they will pack them up for me, but then I will not be able to take my Rum Cream as my carry on because I cannot take both. I don't really want to pack the Rum Cream in my suitcase. I get it at the airport and they pack it for carry on for me.
    No2: I have NO IDEA what a Fair price for those carvings are. They are never marked with a price and when you ask "how Much?" they always ask what I am willing to pay. I'm always afraid of naming a price because I certainly don't want to pay any more than one should but I fear offending them if I don't offer enough. Can anyone share their thoughts on this subject and also how you bring it back home without them breaking.
    Can they be "shipped" ?UPS? or similar?
    Thanks,
    Karin

Karin,
    We always bring back a small wood carving but I finally broke down and bought one of the larger items last summer. At CSA they will give you a price when asked but you can usually haggle it down 10-20% depending on the item and dealer.

I bought the large parrots in a palm tree pictured below and they wrapped it in several layers of scrap cardboard to protect it. If you can carry it on, go ahead and do so. Due to the size of mine, I was worried about it fitting in the overhead, or having them say no and then chunk it in the cargo hold at the last minute. I went ahead and check it and paid the $25 for an extra checked bag. That's MUCH cheaper than it would be through UPS. You may also run into people at the airport that want to repack it for you. If you think it is fine, just tell them no thanks.

As far as the rum cream, you will have to put it in your suitcase when you transfer in the US anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Proud palapa hoarder since 2007 !!!

My little bother brought back a big carving last year. He carried it on with them, but when he changed planes they made him check it. It was broken in half. Thank goodness for superglue.

Quote Originally Posted by redinthehead View Post
    My little bother brought back a big carving last year. He carried it on with them, but when he changed planes they made him check it. It was broken in half. Thank goodness for superglue.
    did that hurt the value of the piece?

I'm also wondering about the price of one of these pieces. I'll be there in April and want to purchase one, but have no idea how much cash I'll need to have on hand. Anyone know?

Steverandlinda- I am sure it did but, you can't tell it was broken so no real harm done.

I bought one similar to the one that markandjannett are showing a picture of at CSS in 2008. It was from a vendor that was on the beach. I actually negotiated with him over the course of 2 days. Ours is a bit taller, about 5 feet high, and has a large parrot and a smaller parrot. I paid $100 dollars for it. He too wrapped it in strips of cardboard and wrote "fragile" all over it. I really had my doubts that it would arrive with us to Chicago in one piece, but it did. I had to check it in as a piece of luggage. We love it and it reminds us of "home" every morning. We keep it in the corner of our bedroom over the winter and move it out to our deck by the pool in the summer. It's a great conversation piece.

Thank you for all your replies. I haven't been able to be on the board much lately because of illness and family and worries of needing to cancel trip. All is now well and still coming. Does anyone know if you can "ship" the carvings via UPS or similar service from Jamaica?
    Karin and Jim

Default carvings

I work for UPS and you can ship definitely ship them UPS (if you can find a shipping outlet), but the cost would most likely be as much or more than you paid for the item. Not only as being an international shipment, but also as an "oversized" item. The $25 additional checked bag would be MUCH cheaper.

well i have not been yet, so unsure about the statue, however .... pack bubble wrap in separate suitcase then you can wrap it extra securely before you check it. also i was in the bahamas and brought back 6 bottles of rum i just wrapped them securely inside all my cloths. and they arrived unbroken, unharmed home good luck!

Don't know if this will work or not, because I am somewhat photo attachment handicapped, but this is how ours was packaged for us by the wonderful Marlon at CN, and we were able to carry it on.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just a warning- we bought one of the big carvings on our recent trip to CSS. We had to check it and got hit with a whopping $150 fee for an oversized item on American Airlines.

Just a warning- we bought one of the big carvings on our recent trip to CSS. We had to check it and got hit with a whopping $150 fee for an oversized item on American Airlines

Ouch!! That's a shame. It's probably more that what you paid for it too. I bought mine in 2008 and it was just treated as my second checked bag. We were allowed 2 checked & 1 carry-on. I think that was before the airlines started charging for everything like they do now. We flew on Air Jamaica.......maybe that's why they went out of business???
    $150 is pretty steep though. What airline?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeandD View Post
    Just a warning- we bought one of the big carvings on our recent trip to CSS. We had to check it and got hit with a whopping $150 fee for an oversized item on American Airlines.
    It was only the $25 additional bag charge with Continental last summer and that was with classifying it as oversized. I had to drop it off and claim it at special areas for oversized items though.