Thread: Transfer Tips

Default Transfer Tips

We will be doing a split between CTI and CSA the end of March. It is my understanding that Couples provides the transfer (which we requested for 6:30am to avoid traffic), but I am wondering what amount to tip the driver. Has anyone done this before? How long does it take to get from CTI to CSA and how much did you tip.

Also, I know we can tip spa staff; are we expected to tip the scuba dive guys as well or are they a part of the staff that we are not to give tips to?

It will take about 2.5 to 3 hours to get from Ocho Rios to Negril. You can tip the driver the same amount you tipped them when you went from the airport to the hotel. Depending on the driver, we tip around $20.

The scuba guys are part of the staff, so they cannot be tipped. Just tell management how great they are.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

We give the Driver $30

Quote Originally Posted by PaulCindy View Post
    We will be doing a split between CTI and CSA the end of March. It is my understanding that Couples provides the transfer (which we requested for 6:30am to avoid traffic), but I am wondering what amount to tip the driver. Has anyone done this before?
    It's defininitely been done before. Wally, a Couples veteran and regular poster in here has done this several times with great success. He's always tried for a 6am transfer.

We're booked at CTI and CN, so we are going to ask for this as well. In fact, if they allow it, we're thinking of shooting for a 5:30am transfer, which should come that much closer to guaranteeing that we'll drive straight thru to CN with no airport stop.

Let us know how your transfer went when you write up your review, as your March trip precedes ours in April.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

We've never done a transfer, but we tipped our driver from the airport $10 each (I think). He was very nice and informative. He welcomed questions about Jamaica.

You can tip at the spa. They are not employed by Couples. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Depending on the driver, we tip around $20.
    Quote Originally Posted by WandA View Post
    We give the Driver $30
    Damn! You guys are generous as all get-out! When we went to CSA in 2008, there was only us and one other couple in the shuttle van from the airport to the resort. Our driver stopped to get us some sugar cane and a small bottle of rum cream to try, so I figured $10 was a generous tip but I guess not! I figured if the other couple also tipped him $10, then he made $20 for about 90 minutes of driving, which is pretty good money in Jamaica as far as I know.

Another funny tipping story comes to mind. While at CSA my wife and I did an off-site excursion to go horseback riding, including a ride into the ocean (if you haven't gone horseback riding on a swimming horse, you've got to try it! It's an amazing experience to feel such a powerful animal literally swimming through the water beneath you. Who knew horses could swim with a rider like that?)

Anyway, we were the only ones on the ride, and the two young men who took us were very nice and friendly and gave us some sugar cane to chew on and took photos of us with our own camera, etc. The whole experience lasted about 90 minutes or so, and when we got back I gave them each $10. I thought their eyes were going to pop out of their heads! They looked at the money as I handed them each a $10 bill, then they looked at me, then back at the money, and they gratefully accepted it but I could tell they thought I was either nuts or making a mistake!

On the way back to the resort, we also tipped the cab driver $10 (he had driven us both ways), and he too was both stunned and thrilled. The next day we were crossing the road to go to the spa, and one of the guards stopped traffic for us. Who should be there waiting for us to cross but our cab driver from the previous day! His face lit up with a smile and he waved frantically at us as though we were long lost friends.

I'll always remember the reactions of those young Jamaican men. Obviously we made a big impact with those $10 tips!

One thing to consider when leaving so early is that your room at the 2nd resort may not be ready at 9am...

We leave at 10, no traffic, arrive by 1pm and have always been able to move right into the room...

TO Rocketdog
    We are talking about the private shuttle between Ochi and Negril, it's almost a 3 hour ride. We use the same driver every year, so it's different from the Airport Shuttle
    Last edited by WandA; March 10th, 2010 at 02:26 PM.

One thing to consider when leaving so early is that your room at the 2nd resort may not be ready at 9am...
    It's why God invented the swim up bar.

We leave at 10, no traffic, arrive by 1pm and have always been able to move right into the room...
    Bully for you that you've previously had such good luck. But others haven't been so fortunate, usually finding heavier traffic and having to stop at the airport, which of course adds a pretty decent amount to the total transfer time. And since I'm a lifetime recipient of Murphy's Law, I'll chance the possibility of our room not being ready vs the transfer taking a lot longer due to heavier traffic and a possible/probable airport stop.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

TO Rocketdog
    We are talking about the private shuttle between Ochi and Negril, it's almost a 3 hour ride. We use the same driver every year, so it's different from the Airport Shuttle
    Oh... gotcha! Then I guess a $20-$30 tip doesn't seem out of line after all, especially if he's a good driver and you're his only passengers. If he gets you there safe & sound & in one piece, then that's certainly worth a healthy tip!

"Oh... gotcha! Then I guess a $20-$30 tip doesn't seem out of line after all, especially if he's a good driver and you're his only passengers. If he gets you there safe & sound & in one piece, then that's certainly worth a healthy tip! "

Right, with no "Airport Stop"