Default CSA April 25-30 First timers questions

Hi all! My husband and I will be CSA first timers in April for our 15th anniversary trip. A few questions (and this board ROCKS, BTW! Very helpful!)

Snorkeling...what is it like? I think the water and sand are comparable to the Florida Panhandle--beautiful, but not so much sea life. I've snorkled in the Virgins which is like swimming in my own tropical fishtank. How does CSA compare?

On the beach itself, what are the shells like? None, a few? I have a serious seashell addiction and want to know what to expect.

Lastly, looking forward to some great beach time after the COLDEST Florida winter I've seen in 12 years of living here. If it doesn't warm up soon, I'll be the pasty one wearing my kid's SPF 70 ont he beach so I don't fry! We actually used our fireplace (AGAIN!) in Jacksonville this week.

Take care and hope to see some of you soon!
    --Gretchen & Ashley from chilly Florida

No seashells!!! Do not know about snorkeling I have heard this is not much sea life similar to florida and nothing like the virgin islands or south america. you will have a blast!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gcdt View Post
    Hi all! My husband and I will be CSA first timers in April for our 15th anniversary trip. A few questions (and this board ROCKS, BTW! Very helpful!) You will LOVE CSA!!!!

Snorkeling...what is it like? I think the water and sand are comparable to the Florida Panhandle--beautiful, but not so much sea life. I've snorkled in the Virgins which is like swimming in my own tropical fishtank. How does CSA compare? I'd say it's in between Florida and the Virgins. A little less like your own fish tank but still a lot of fish and sealife to see. Sometimes we see crab, lobster, a turtle or even a dolphin.

On the beach itself, what are the shells like? None, a few? I have a serious seashell addiction and want to know what to expect. No shells to be found. There might be some very tiny ones here and there, but overall, not a shell hunting beach like the Carolinas or Florida.

Lastly, looking forward to some great beach time after the COLDEST Florida winter I've seen in 12 years of living here. If it doesn't warm up soon, I'll be the pasty one wearing my kid's SPF 70 ont he beach so I don't fry! We actually used our fireplace (AGAIN!) in Jacksonville this week.

Take care and hope to see some of you soon!
    --Gretchen & Ashley from chilly Florida
    Have a great trip!!
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014

CB - 2015

Honestly, I've had better snorkeling (Bahamas). But I've also had the misfortune of going snorkeling in overcast weather every time I've done it in Jamaica, so the colors are all muted and everything's just kind of gray.

From what I hear about the VI, you will not be getting that in Jamaica.

There really aren't shells. My husband's grandparents used to have a condo on Anna Maria Island in Florida and I know shelling was a big thing there. The beaches in Jamaica are nothing like that. They're sandy/powdery, not shelly.