Default Proposed passport fee increases...

Just saw this on Trip Advisor. re: Proposed passport fee increases. Not sure if this has already been posted on this board or not. Just an FYI...

i.e. $82 just to add additional pages to an existing passport (currently free) !!! Yikes !!

And, it's not that I can't afford the price increases, it's just the principle of the size of the increases all at once.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...fees_4734.html

http://www.regulations.gov/search/Re...00006480a8ffe8

http://www.regulations.gov/search/Re...00006480a8ffe8

Renew now, if you can, for $75 instead of $110

It's just the principle

When we renewed ours 2 yrs ago, we requested that they add the extra pages right then (since we knew we would end up needing them), but, gov't being gov't, they didn't do it for us !!

Hmmm.... seems to me if you can afford to travel enough to fill the pages of your pp with stamps within 10 years... you won't have to worry about cost of extra pages...
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Hmmm.... seems to me if you can afford to travel enough to fill the pages of your pp with stamps within 10 years... you won't have to worry about cost of extra pages...
    Chris
    That's not the point
    From FREE to over $80???

Come on

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post

HA, HA, very funny, Chris !!

Of course $164 isn't going to break the bank, but to go from $0 to $82 is a big jump for a few extra lousy pages. Heck, I think our 1st passports we got back in 1998 were only $85 total (or $65 maybe -- I can't remember).

Ok, ok, ok... I understand the grumbling about my comment. But this is an ongoing trend that is a natural fallout from the spending cuts that our politicians are so very proud of thumping their chests about. Am I in favor of increased taxes? Not really. I AM in favor of pay-as-you-go...

Managing the issuance of passports, like any other widget, doesn't happen for free... someone has to pay for it. In this case a user fee, albeit for the administrative costs associated with additional pages to a passport (whatever that may be) seems like a reasonable solution. But that's MY opinion...

Sorry for any offense...
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Very well said, Chris. I couldn't agree with you more.