Default New limitations on reservations dining

I'm concerned with a manager response I saw about a CN review on tripadvisor. I know tripadvisor has its flaws, but what I'm reacting to is the CN manager's response to the review. It said, in part:

Our Gourmet restaurant is reservation only. Guests generally book once during their vacation. I am delighted that you were able to dine there more than once, and you found our food excellent. Guests who wish to dine more than once in a 4 day period are placed on a waiting list and contacted if space is available.

Is this true? Is it true for CSA as well? We'd like to dine at Feathers and Lemongrass more than once each during our upcoming week-long trip. I'm very, very concerned that we will be prevented from doing so or made to wait on a list.

Like I said, this statement is from the manager's response. Can management comment on this policy, please, here?

" We'd like to dine at Feathers and Lemongrass more than once each during our upcoming week-long trip. I'm very, very concerned that we will be prevented from doing so or made to wait on a list. "

Relax - is that really something worth being "very, very concerned" about on vacation - when you're not even there yet?
    With the system of not being able to pre-book more than 3-4 days, EVERYONE gets a chance to eat in the restaurants...Otherwise someone who comes in on Monday could book out the whole week and those who come on Thursday can't get in anywhere on the weekend....it's fair, and it works for everyone.

I am sure you will be fine, and not be prevented from eating where you want, as long as you are flexible with your dinner times.

Excellent response Wanda (as usual).
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

I read "Guests who wish to dine more than once in a 4 day period are placed on a waiting list and contacted if space is available." as something being separate and outside of the requirement that you can't book more than 3 days in advance. This says to me that even if I do book within the 3 day window, if I've already eaten at a reservation restaurant during my stay, I will only get waitlisted.

While this may not be a concern to some people, it is a concern to others. Food's important to me on vacation If I want to eat at Lemongrass every night, I should be able to as long as I book within the 3 day reservation window. That Couples doesn't put restrictions on how many times you can eat at certain restaurants based on length of stay is one of the things that appeals to us and is one of the reasons, IMHO, Couples is better than other all-inclusives. For me and my husband it WILL be a disappointment if we can eat, for instance, at Lemongrass once and are then relegated to the Palms and Patios Patio the rest of the week (I'm not including Feathers as we have no plans on eating there anyway). I too would be interested to know management's take on this and if this is a new policy that has been implemented. At least then we can be prepared and set expectations accordingly.

We are always flexible with our times (this will be our 5th visit). What concerns me is not that you can only book a few days in advance, as that has always been the policy. What i find troubling is that there is a specific limitation being built into the policy which says you can't book a restaurant more than once.

You may have to sit with other couples. We find this a very fun way to meet other people from places we've never been. Also, as stated, if you are willing to eat early or late we never have a problem eating at the fancy place as often as we like

ElaineChick

You can email Ms Karen Lanigan at Couples Negril and ask her direct.

If that was indeed a response from her it sounds perfectly reasonable to try and allow time for all of the guests that come to CN the opportunity to dine at Otaheite. Would it be fair to let you dine there 3 times while another guests looses out and doesn't get one?

With over 200 rooms of guests it gets hard to cram all the guests wanting to dine there all in one evening. It simply can't be done and yet at the same time allow for comfort. That is one reason why there are 4 restaurants to be able to attempt and satisfy everyone for dinning.

If you have a special evening to celebrate something such as a birthday or anniversary the desk is always more than willing to attempt and accommodate you but let's not push the envelope.

I have yet to find a Couples Resort that has not tried to accommodate the requests of its guests. But let's be reasonable and fair with those requests!

Default CN dining reservations @ Otaheite

During our 8 night stay from February 27 - March 7th, we were permitted to book only 2 days advance. This did allow us to dine twice at Otaheite - my favorite restaurant - as we wanted to enjoy the other restaurants as well. I think this is a really fair way to enable all guests to have the same opportunity during their stay.

The way it has worked for us is you can book up to 4 days IN ADVANCE at the reservation restaurants. You cannot book two reservations at the same time for the same restaurant, and you can't book a reservation for a restaurant until you have "used up" the previous reservation.

We typically manage 2 trips each to Feathers and Lemongrass during our 7 night stay. The way we work it is thus; (and this is an example, so don't post to me about the restaurant not being open on a particular night, please....)

Arrive on a Wednesday (eat at Patois.): book Feathers for Thursday and Lemongrass for Friday. Saturday we'll go to Patois. On Saturday/Sunday we'll book another reservation for Feathers on Sunday. Monday is repeater's dinner. Tuesday is Lemongrass. Wednesday we'll either eat at Patois or try to get into Feathers one more time.... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Thursday, alas, we leave.

We've never had a problem accomplishing this. One thing to note, however, is we are NOT picky about reservation times. We actually prefer to have the 8pm seating, which is not very popular, so we don't usually have trouble getting a reservation. As a matter of fact, we often get reservations the same day. The pickier you are about your reservation time, (i.e. MUST EAT AT 6:30) the less the chances that you are going to get to eat where you want, when you want....

Have a blast!
    Vee

Are there 2 seatings for dinner at restaurants that require reservations? 6:30 and 8? We will be at CSA (not sure if it differs between hotels. thanks!

" read "Guests who wish to dine more than once in a 4 day period are placed on a waiting list and contacted if space is available." as something being separate and outside of the requirement that you can't book more than 3 days in advance. This says to me that even if I do book within the 3 day window, if I've already eaten at a reservation restaurant during my stay, I will only get waitlisted."

Yes, I read it that way too....no matter...
    it's the same result, it would not be fair for some couples to continue to book the restaurants over and over while someone else doesnt get a chance.
    A combination of BOTH policies is what is fair to All.
    Last edited by WandA; March 12th, 2010 at 01:11 PM.

Melly, at the CSA restaurants there are actually reservations available every 15-30 minutes throughout the evening rather than two formal settings. Our experience has been the same as Vee's, and we've never had a problem getting a reservation as long as we're flexible with our dining time.

Does CN only have 1 reservation restaurant? So there is 1 buffet, 3 sit down with 1 being a reservation only? Is there much of a wait at the no ressie restaurants - we usually eat at the 7:30 - 8 pm time frame.

We have been to CN twice and are headed back in 27 days...
    We have never had a problem booking Otaheite as often as we wanted - that being said we have always gone in the summer and I do not think they were at capacity either. Last time we ate there three times in 7 nights - once as repeaters and twice with reservations. As posted above - one cannot re-book until the existing reservation has been used. This time I think we will only do it twice - once as repeaters and one regular reservation.

thanks thecat! I like it better that way!!

Quote Originally Posted by thecat View Post
    Does CN only have 1 reservation restaurant? So there is 1 buffet, 3 sit down with 1 being a reservation only? Is there much of a wait at the no ressie restaurants - we usually eat at the 7:30 - 8 pm time frame.
    Only Otaheite at CN requires reservations. No reservations are required at Lychee, Heliconia, or the Cassava Terrace. Sometimes there is a buffet at the Cassava Terrace; other nights, a menu is offered. When the resort is at full capacity and Cassava Terrace is serving from a menu, there has usually been a small buffet set up near the pool as an additional option for dinner. I've heard that there have been cutbacks, so I don't know if this option is still provided (although I'll soon know b/c we leave for CN on Friday!).
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Thanks for the info, I hope it doesn't change too much by the time we get there, I prefer not to eat at a buffet for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by thecat View Post
    Thanks for the info, I hope it doesn't change too much by the time we get there, I prefer not to eat at a buffet for dinner.
    Normally we are the same way but the buffets are CN are an exception. I think Casava only does buffets 3 nights a week and the rest of the time it is a menu and the menu does change both there and at Heliconia. I only ate at Otaheite once and Lychee once so I don't know whether they change their menus or not but there are more than enough food options every day.