Default CSA: Favorite Light Drinks?

We leave 3 weeks from today for CSA!!! Things to do, but perusing the MB is much more fun right now

Drinks! Trust me, I love myself a good, strong pina colada, but my tummy needs a break from time to time! Does anyone have any recommendations for tasty, alcoholic drinks that don't have tons of extra sugar? My favorite liquors are rum, vodka, and tequila...

What about the sports bar for non-alcoholic drinks? Do they add extra sugar mixes to those? Do they add protein? Any favorites?

I know, I know, I am on vacation, but I do like to still be kind to my body!

-BBT

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebeetuna View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations for tasty, alcoholic drinks that don't have tons of extra sugar? My favorite liquors are rum, vodka, and tequila...
    A vodka tonic with a slice of lime is a great thirst-quencher on a hot day, plus it's relatively low in calories (just some sugar in the tonic, and although they do make diet tonic water I'm not sure if CSA has it or not?)

Also try other vodka drinks with just fruit juice, like a Screwdriver (o.j.), Cape Codder (cranberry juice), See Breeze (cranberry & grapefruit), etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebeetuna View Post
    What about the sports bar for non-alcoholic drinks? Do they add extra sugar mixes to those? Do they add protein? Any favorites?
    When we went to CSA in 2008, I had a fruit smoothie for breakfast just about every morning at the sports bar, and I don't recall seeing them add any sugar, just juice, fruit, milk, and protein if you want it.

One thing I never got to have was wheat grass juice. Every single day I'd ask about it, and they would always say, "None today, maybe tomorrow." Well, "tomorrow" never came during our vacation at CSA, but maybe you'll have better luck (assuming you like wheat grass juice! )

Bumblebee - my drinks of choice were frozen rum cream and dirty bananas for alcoholic drinks. They are light on alcohol and not super sweet - too much heat, sugar and alcohol are not a good combo! My new fave non-alcoholic drink is TING! And the sports complex has some absolutely amazingly delish fruit infused waters. Enjoy your stay!!!

vodka slushie without the simple syrup.

Rum and ting or a salty dog are nice alternatives to some of the really sweet stuff.
    Lew

BBT my best advice is to go over to the Sports complex and talk to the bartender there. When we were there in 08 they had a four sided rotating board with so many smoothies listed that you can't make up your mind which one to choose. Of course I chose two at a time because the indicision was killing me...<smile>. I suggest you do the same. My favorite rum drink of the week ended up being the hummingbird which is on the lines of a banana/chocolate milkshake.
    1 oz bananas
    1 oz coconut cream
    1 oz creme de bananes
    1 oz rum
    1/2 oz Tia Maria® coffee liqueur
    1 oz strawberries
    crushed ice
    Enjoy your time in paradise!

My drink of choice is Bacardi and Cranberry. It is light, not too sweet and very tasty. Give it a try!

Tonic has more sugar then soda. I love gin and soda with fresh lime. It is so light and refreshing with zero sugar. I am sure vodka and soda would be good too.

I usually drink rum and club soda with a splash of pineapple juice or
    half club soda and half ting with a shot of rum. Both are nice, refreshing, and not too calorie heavy.

And beware of the dirty banana. Tasty, but each one packs between 500-700 calories depending on how big and who's making it. They're not very alcoholic, but if you're looking for low sugar..... NOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Vee View Post
    And beware of the dirty banana. Tasty, but each one packs between 500-700 calories depending on how big and who's making it. They're not very alcoholic, but if you're looking for low sugar..... NOT!
    THAT explains my standard pound-a-day gain on vacation. I knew they weren't "light" by any means, but never considered they would be that much.

I'm hoping, after much talk a while back about Mojitos being available, that I will be able to get them at CSA this year. I could live off them and they aren't so heavy. Sugary, yes, but at least not creamy.

They DO have wheat grass shots at the sports/health drink bar at CSA. We got it the first day we asked. They had the grinder-thing there, and a container of wheatgrass.

Quote Originally Posted by Vee View Post

Vee - I KNEW I liked these for a reason: They are totally bad for me! LOL :-)

As for the post about the hummingbird drink - never knew what it was - never bothered to look but will totally be trying that in May!

hmmm... so this is all for CSA... anyone know where, at CSS, I can get a nice smoothies or nonalcoholic drink when I want one? can you just walk up to any bar and ask? just curious!

and... the 700 calories of dirty banana is definitely a downer, but it's not going to stop me from trying one!!! I LOVE anything with bananas so i've been particularly looking forward to that drink. :-D. I'll just do a few extra laps around the pool and call it even. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineChick View Post
    They DO have wheat grass shots at the sports/health drink bar at CSA. We got it the first day we asked. They had the grinder-thing there, and a container of wheatgrass.
    Dang! You must've lucked out! They were out of wheat grass the entire week we were there in May '08.

Default No more hummingbirds. :)

Honestly, every trip, I have gained between 5 and 7 lbs. This past trip to CTI, I was just off running the Marine Corp Marathon, and just didn't feel like my usual complement of Hummingbirds and Dirty Bananas. Would you believe I didn't gain an ounce? And darn it all... I ate what I wanted to. (including dessert and french fries. LOL.) I figured out that I was consuming an extra 1500 - 2100 calories PER DAY just by having 2 or 3 frothy drinks. Sheesh. No more than 2 or 3 per trip for me now. It's just not worth it.

And besides.... I really DO like the Red Stripe Light.

Yay! Thanks for all the replies, you guys! I guess I didn't come right out and say that I like to watch out for extra calories because I didn't want people to "yell" at me to relax But, I am definitely interested in finding lighter drinks as far as sugar (ummm....calories) goes, but not liquor (with the exception of the sports smoothie bar).

Rocket Dog, I have never heard of a Sea Breeze, but this combo sounds awesome! I bet the cranberry/grapefruit combo would be awesome with vodka.

Wheat grass juice/shots... Hmmm. I haven't heard of this - what is it? What are the benefits?

Lew and Vee, I also love your suggestions of rum and ting, with the option of using mostly club soda. I wouldn't have thought of this one on my own. Thanks!

Cheers, all!

-bumblebee

My husband and I are going to be at CSA April 16th - April 23rd. I am not real concerned with the light drinks.... but I am wondering what is Ting? Everyone is talking about Ting and I have no Idea what it is. Is it like Tang? The powdered flavored orange drink?

Ting is a Jamaican Grapefruit soda. It actually has real grapefruit juice in it, and it's AWESOME!! Once you try it, you'll be hooked. It's more like a cross between Orangina (just grapefruit) and Fresca.

Enjoy.

erob! You will fall in love with Ting. It's a very light, carbonated grapefruit soda.
    Lew

I AM SO VERY HAPPY FOR YOU THAT YOU ARE GOING TO CSA!! it is the best experience of our lives. do you refrain from sugar due to a medical concern? if not, you may want to get that thought out of your head sweetie! the menu of drinks reads like an encyclopedia! the pina colada's are fabulous. in my opinion ting is the jamacian version of mountain dew. i drink a ton of soda and i didn't care for the soda at all in JA. everything else is near perfection. PS my husband gained 9 lbs in 7 days there

Ting is a grapefruit soda more or less. It's great with Vodka! Just ask for a vodkating! They sell them a some grocery stores here in the states as well, you have to look in the soda isle where they have the individual bottled sodas/drinks. They are refreshing!

Salty Dog, Appleton and diet coke, diet tonic and vodka...if they have vanilla or citron vodka, that is GREAT with frangelico as a shot.
    I think bloody mary's are tasty as well...just a little salty and sometimes filling

Cheers!
    Jennifer

"Everyone is talking about Ting and I have no Idea what it is. Is it like Tang? The powdered flavored orange drink?"

Think Fresca............sweet and tart carbonated grapefruit concoction