Default Scuba Resort Course Length and Schedule?

Hello all -

I've tried to comb the message boards and this site but have not found this info specifically, so forgive me if it's there - I missed it!

We are interested in the scuba resort course but wondering about it's length and scheduling. I'd read they do scuba from Sun - Fri. We're tentatively looking at going from a Thurs. eve until Tues. a.m. (probably to CN, but I suspect they all have the same scuba schedules).

How many days is the course? and will we be able to complete it if we're going over a weekend? (not talking about full certification, just the resort course).

Thanks so much for the info!

Andrea

We did the scuba resort course at CSS. I'm not sure that all the resorts have the same schedule. At CSS, they did not do the course on the weekends.

Something VERY important to keep in mind is that you cannot scuba within 24 hours of flying (either way). So that puts a real limit on your ability to do the course.

The resort course takes up pretty much an entire morning. At CSA, we started around 8:30. Between watching a video, training in the pool, passing a swim test, we did not get to the dive boat until late morning. I was finished with everything by around 12:30. It may be slightly different at CN.

Even though it took an entire morning, I thought it was worth it. They did an excellent job taking care of us. I've done resort dives before, and Couples rates with the best.

about 4 hours start to finish
    Jamie & David
    CN 11/2005 & 10/2008 & 11/2011
    CSS 9/2007, 9/2009, 9/2010, 11/2011, 9/2012, 9/2013
    CTI 9/2013

Andrea,

Check out the information on this fairly recent thread. DEFINITELY do the resort course (you'll be hooked!).

http://couplesjamaica.biz/mb/showthread.php?t=5915

We have only dove at CN, and they would do the resort dive each day except perhaps Saturday (I think).

Enjoy your trip, and stay as long as possible (Thurs to Tues will go was toooooo fast )

Default scuba resort course

The resort course will only take one morning maybe about 8:30 to 12:00 or so. Sign up when you get there as they might not do it every day. It is worth the time! We got our certification at CN and it was a great experience. We have also been diving at Swept Away and Sans Souci too-all wonderful!

The resort course is offered most days, like you mentioned, its typically Sunday through Friday because they do a two tank dive for the full certification divers on Saturdays.

Resort certification is done in one day, a morning session in the pool to become comfortable with the equipment and the strange feeling of being able to breathe underwater, as well as some skills to help you be even more comfortable once you are in the ocean. After lunch, the people in that days resort course head out for a shallow dive, probably no deeper than 30 feet as at this depth it is still very safe. Depending on how many people they have on a given week, you may be able to go out more than once during your trip.

Also, just be aware, that once you have been on one dive, you will probably want to get fully certified.

Enjoy blowing bubbles!
    E. Lee Cunningham
    Social Technologist, GE
    Atlanta, GA

The resort course is one full day. Your challenge may be in that your not supposed to fly within 24 hours of scuba, so you can't take the course on Monday. You'd have to do either Friday or Sunday, and it's hard to get into a class on such short notice. (They book up.)

It does also take up the better part of a day, what with the pool, video, swim and the actual dive. You might just think this trip about just snorkeling. It's easy, similar and you don't spend an entire day breathing underwater in the pool. Save the resort course for the next time you are there for a longer time.

Hi Andrea... for the resort course, you will be done in 1/2 day. The course only takes multiple days if you are going to do the full Open Water certification.

First you will need to go to the dive shop between 8:30-3:00 to reserve a spot in the resort dive class. They will go over some required paperwork with you, including the required medical questionnaire.

On your assigned morning, you will need to check in at the dive shop around 8:00-8:15 (can't remember exact time. You'll then join the rest of the class to perform the swim test and then you will be instructed on the principles of SCUBA and the operation of all the equipment. The dive instructor will get you all suited up and you will practice skills in the pool. Once everyone is ready, you will get on board the boat and go out to a shallow reef, usually about 25' in depth. You will dive as a group - depending on air consumption, about 20-30 minutes. Then you're done!

If you are going to CN, your dive instructor will be Karl, Richard or Craig.

Have fun!

Linda

Just to clarify something about flying after diving, the following is the "fine print" from the back of the PADI recreational dive planner tables card:

Air travel after dives -- After a single dive, wait 12 hours. After multiple dives, or several days of diving, wait 18 hours. If decompression stops were necessary, wait more than 18 hours.

This usally means that you cannot dive the day of your travel, but wouldn't limit you from diving the afternoon before a morning trip the next morning.

And VP Lee is correct -- you will want to get back under the surface once you have done it! Enjoy

How much is the scuba resort course at CSA? We are going Sept 1-15 and have never done scuba before. As we live in Seattle, the water is way to cold for us to be motivated to be certified beforehand. I know that its $50 for additional dives, but how much to sign up for the class and if we do want to continue getting our full PADI how much is that? We need to budget beforehand Cheers!

Jen & Ian

Quote Originally Posted by jen_n_ian View Post
    How much is the scuba resort course at CSA? We are going Sept 1-15 and have never done scuba before. As we live in Seattle, the water is way to cold for us to be motivated to be certified beforehand. I know that its $50 for additional dives, but how much to sign up for the class and if we do want to continue getting our full PADI how much is that? We need to budget beforehand Cheers!

Jen & Ian
    We got certified at CN in April, and it was around $350 pp...so worth it! Once you take the resort course, you'll be hooked - put this item in the budget!

Couples info does say you cannot dive 24 hrs before or after flying. I'm not sure if they have to follow the PADI in that regard. Any recent resort divers that have been instructed on their (Couples) expectations? Diving in March and need to know for planning!
    42 days and counting!