Default Question on Scuba Diving at CTI

My wife and I plan on going Scuba diving at CTI May 19-26th. I am certified, my wife will get a resort certification there. My questions are... How far out and how deep to they take you? What is there to see? Reefs? Types of fish? Also we are looking to meet up with other dive buddies there. S&V

The SCUBA at CTI is fairly good. For the resort course, the dive is ~30 feet, and most of the time it takes place over the reef directly off the coast in front of the resort. You can still see the dive boat in the afternoon while they are out there.

For the daily certified dives, they have several locations, ranging from a 30-40 foot wreck, to a 80-90 foot wall dive. There are several reef dives all ranging in depth, but nothing deeper that the wall dive.

Wildlife: short list of significant sightings - Nurse Shark, Barracuda, Dolphin, Turtles, various reef fish, Lobster, Conch, and during a night dive, tons of shrimp, urchins and even more lobster.

If they have room, there should not be an issue joining your wife on the resort dive in the afternoons.
    E. Lee Cunningham
    Social Technologist, GE
    Atlanta, GA

I'm also interested in the diving at CTI. Can anyone point me to some diving pix from CTI/CSS area? I've seen some from the Negril dives and they were great, and I just wonder how the CTI area compares.

Don't forget the loin fish invasion.

These are from our 2006 CTI trip - there are a few dive pics.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=b1d62f2132
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014

CB - 2015

Was diving at CTI in Feb. the 9-14th. Dove every day, twice one day.
    Morning dives are deeper, go down to 80 ft. Afternoon, they stay around 30 ft.
    Diving was real good, reefs look like they are coming back, we saw turtles, rays, lots and lots of lion fish, crabs, starfish, etc...
    The dive masters are what made our trip so wonderful.
    Rasta (Loyde) and David the captain were so fun and enjoyable.
    Here is a link to our pics from this past trip.
    Lots of pictures sorry, but it should show you what to expect.
    Irie.
    Barb
    http://picasaweb.google.com/barbprue...eat=directlink

Thank you both - bunches!!!

Allisirie,
    What were you using for a camera/video in your pics. They were some of the best I have seen from CTI?
    E. Lee Cunningham
    Social Technologist, GE
    Atlanta, GA

Hey there hi there,

I love the pics you posted. Can you say what kind of video camera / still camera you used? I am thinking about getting one for our trip May 1st to CTI and would like to capure some nice photos like you did.

Kind regards

Jay

Default Hello Amy, Man-o-man...these are some great pics.

We DO look SO forward to posting ours' in a few weeks. Sam_Vickie
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    These are from our 2006 CTI trip - there are a few dive pics.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=b1d62f2132

Wow...Thanks Allisirie...your pics were great. It really looks like the reefs are in much distress. Has something happened or is this localized?S&V

Default CSS resort dive

Should we bring our short wet suits or do they supply that for you ? or do you really even need a wet suit for the 30 ft dives?

Quote Originally Posted by john s View Post
    Should we bring our short wet suits or do they supply that for you ? or do you really even need a wet suit for the 30 ft dives?
    I have done the dives at Couples both ways. With a 3mil shorty, and without. The water is warm enough, even at 80-90 feet that most people don't need anything extra. This year, I am leaving the decision on bringing the suit until we are actually packing. If there is room, it goes, if there its close, it stays home. I plan on bringing back more coffee and liquor thank normal, so any extra room in the check bag is going to help.

For me, the suit in Jamaica is all about protection, and not about staying warm.
    E. Lee Cunningham
    Social Technologist, GE
    Atlanta, GA

Quote Originally Posted by VP Lee View Post
    I have done the dives at Couples both ways. With a 3mil shorty, and without. The water is warm enough, even at 80-90 feet that most people don't need anything extra. This year, I am leaving the decision on bringing the suit until we are actually packing. If there is room, it goes, if there its close, it stays home. I plan on bringing back more coffee and liquor thank normal, so any extra room in the check bag is going to help.

For me, the suit in Jamaica is all about protection, and not about staying warm.
    Is a 3mm full suit too much? I'm thinking as much about the protection as comfort/warmth...