Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default capt. morgan available?

My wife and will be first timers at swept away the last week of may. Does anyone know if they serve capt. morgan there? that is her drink of choice. Maybe the duty free shop? any info would be greatly appr. thanks........... come on may!!!!!!!!!

No Captain Morgan at any resort I know of in Jamaica. Sad, but true. I asked about here it in a blog a couple weeks back. I'm not sure if it's available in town, but I'm going to look for it. Sorry all you Appleton's fans, theres no comparison between the two. Appleton's (in IMHO) is bitter, Captains is a much smoother rum. I know there will be a lot of loyalists here that will disagree with this but, how many of you drink Appleton's when you get back home? And I mean your home 50+ weeks a year, not Couples "home". Captain Morgan is from Puerto Rico now, not Jamaica. Appleton's dominates Jamaica now. Funny thing about it though, Captain Morgan was a plantation owner and Governor of Jamaica after his "legal" pirate days working for the British. The rum was originally created and distilled in Jamaica. I don't know the rest of the story. Maybe there was a war between the two and Captains lost and had to leave the country?

Default Capt Morgan

Stixx,
    I just returned from CSA 2 weeks ago and saw Capt Morgan at almost every bar...enjoy CSA

Just got back from Swept Away and the Captain could not be found. Plenty of other choices you will not go thirsty. I did find some spiced Rum at the Duty free shop in the airport on the way home looked like captain but was not truely captain Morgan

Nope... you'll be in Appleton Rum country... I suggest trying it... you may NEVER go back to the Captian... no carmel coloring or flavoring... all natural in barrel flavoring.

Enjoy!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Huh! I stand corrected by RobinH. It appears Capt Morgan is @ the bars? I learn something new everyday. All things being said, Appleton is still our #1. Have a great vacation! razzl

Quote Originally Posted by RobinH View Post
    Stixx,
    I just returned from CSA 2 weeks ago and saw Capt Morgan at almost every bar...enjoy CSA
    wow talk about a conflict in answers lol

Quote Originally Posted by rjammin View Post
    know there will be a lot of loyalists here that will disagree with this but, how many of you drink Appleton's when you get back home? And I mean your home 50+ weeks a year, not Couples "home".
    :raises hand:

I keep the 30/20/10 blend, a handle of regular, some Reserve, and VX.

Captain Morgans is not a bad rum, it just does FAR better mixed so you don't have to taste it. Now, before the accusation of bias, I have a bottle of the regular old spiced rum, and Private Stock on the same shelf as the Appleton.

I bring as much Appleton Extra back with me as I can, to me there is really nothing like it. It has to be one of the smoothest rums I've had. When I buy it here at home I have to just get the VX, nothing else available. I drink it 52 weeks out of the year. If I drink Capt. Morgan I feel like I'm having a root beer lollipop! Much to sweet.

rjammin -

Put me down as someone who drinks Appleton, well, almost as a habit! Not bragging, and not a lush... but in our house we go through, nominally, a 750ml of VX every month... and probably one 750ml of Extra every 3 months (I try to keep a stock of Extra 2 or 3 deep in the cabinet). We also keep the Appleton White available for summer slushies, rum flavoring in our baking, etc.

Do I love Appleton? Well, I gotta tell ya... if its VX or better, the only thing it touches is my lips... not going to spoil a perfectly good rum with ice, water or mix of any kind... but, that's just me.

An unabashed Appleton lover...
    Chris

OK, RobinH & conrads0815, which it it?
    I hope you are RobinH, I prefer the "other" authentic Jamaican rum.

Try the Appleton VX! WAY better than the captain.

Quote Originally Posted by rjammin View Post
    but, how many of you drink Appleton's when you get back home? And I mean your home 50+ weeks a year, not Couples "home".
    Actually, since our first trip to JA 5 years ago, and my first taste of Appleton's... I NEVER drink Captain Morgan's anymore. We stock up on a couple bottles of Appleton's while in JA, and that's what we drink until the next trip.

I asked for a Captain and Pepsi at the Swim up bar, Palms, and AURA lounge. I was told no Captain so I drank Crown instead. The other name brand that I did not find was jagermeister. I spent way too many hours at the swim up bar and never saw a bottle. A partial list of what I did see: Jack Daniels Jim Beam Crown Johnny Walker Red and Black Canadian Club Tangarey Grey Goose Appleton to name a few

I drink Appleton white rum all the time. I will admit, for dark rum, I actually prefer Dominican rum. For my taste buds, there's a kind of icky smell or something to Appleton that I can't get past.

Default captain morgan

I, too, am a capt. morgan gal big time. you won't find any there, but don't despair. Ask for the Appleton Estate Rum (top shelf), you will not be dissapointed! There is a difference between the Special and Estate. Enjoy!!!

Just goes to show you that just about any alcoholic spirit is an acquired taste... or, in some cases, an acquired revulsion (I'm thinking Vermox, here... lol).
    Chris

We drink Appleton year round. It gives us a special taste of 'home' when we can't be there. Pour an Appleton sit back, sip, and dream of Couples. Ahh...
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Sorry, I may have to run here, but I don't really like Appletons. Drank Barcardi last week at CSA and there was plenty of it!

Do they have names brands at CSA like Bacardi and Hose?

Thanks ElainePoole, I was feeling all alone in here. Bacardi is what I will be drinking too.....in 11 days! Yea Mon!!!

Enjoy, best rum in my opinion!

Thank you for all the info on this question. I'm a devoted capatain drinker myself, but I can also drink most anything else, but my hubby is a Jack Daniels man and I was starting to panic a little, thinking he might not be able to get it there. He's not much for the fruity drinks that I here so much about, so thanks again I now can relax.

beachsam....

You might want to talk to your local purveyor of Appleton VX... Extra has been available stateside since about May or June of last year. Our local megamart gladly stocked it last November when I requested it. The importer had been asked to mount a marketing campaign for Appleton's premier rums, including VX and Extra.

Now if only we could get the Blue Label!
    Chris

Jonzie -

If hubby is a JD fan, he really ought to try the VX, or even moreso, the Extra. Why? Because, unlike the Captain and many other dark rums, Appleton gets its color (and flavor) from resting all those years in barrels that were previously used to age American Bourbon whiskey. Many of the others use caramel coloring to enhance color and flavor.
    Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast