Default Venturing off resorts at night

Hey

We're down to 19 sleeps! In full blown "getting ready for vacation" mode now I have had many people suggest going off grounds for some dancing and entertainment in the evening and was hoping for some more information. We are staying for two weeks (1 week at CN and 1 week at CSA) and arrive on April 7th. Specifically looking for help with the following:

i) Were these trip organized by the hotel of did you arrange them yourselves?
    ii) Where to go and cost of drinks?
    iii) Any safety concerns? I'd ask this in any country, not just Jamaica. Always believe in being a little cautious when stepping into unknown territory, especially outside my own county.
    iv) Best nights to go?

We are planning on going to Ricks and have heard good things about The Rock House but know there are a lot of hidden gems along the beach.

Cheers,
    Kris
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Kissed View Post

i) Were these trip organized by the hotel of did you arrange them yourselves? Both. The concierge can always help you with suggestions and taxis. Other places, like Margaritaville or Rick's Cafe, are organized by the resort on certain nights.
    ii) Where to go and cost of drinks? There are several places, though drinks can be expensive. At Rick's I think a beer was around $6 and at Margaritaville they were closer to $8. There are clubs, but we have always stayed at the resort.
    iii) Any safety concerns? I'd ask this in any country, not just Jamaica. Always believe in being a little cautious when stepping into unknown territory, especially outside my own county. Just like any other city. Don't be walking alone late at night with your wallet hanging out.
    iv) Best nights to go? I'm sure this depends on the club.

We are planning on going to Ricks and have heard good things about The Rock House but know there are a lot of hidden gems along the beach.

Cheers,
    Kris
    Others who go to the clubs will probably have more definitive answers.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

i) Were these trip organized by the hotel of did you arrange them yourselves? You can arrange a trip to Ricks through the hotel that will bring you back to the resort around 7:30pm. If you want to stay later you'd have to grab a cab which should be very easy. I think both resorts also offer a free shuttle to a cliffs bar other than Ricks for sunset drinks. You'll still pay for the drinks, but the shuttle is free. From CSA you can walk down the beach at night for live reggae. The spot moves through the week, let your ears guide you if you wish to walk or ask the cabbie. We've done this and walked home very late with no trouble, but you need to use your best judgemet on what's safe for you. There is also a famous night club called The Jungle that is a short cab ride from both CSA and CN on the main road but not on the beach side. I haven't been but I've heard it can be a lot of fun. Couples used to have a free shutle one night a week to the Jungle, but I think they have cancelled that.

ii) Where to go and cost of drinks? Beer at Ricks is $3-4USD. Prices I've seen elsewhere range from about $1.50 to $5. If you ask the price up front, it will probably always be reasonable (same with cabs), if you wait for your bill their might be a need for some discussion - best just ask if it isn't posted. Also, expect to recieve change in Jamaican money, so best to carry smal bills and minimize change.

iii) Any safety concerns? I'd ask this in any country, not just Jamaica. Always believe in being a little cautious when stepping into unknown territory, especially outside my own county. Don't party to excess, be polite, and never blindly go into an isolated dark space and you will have no trouble. You will likely be frequnetly, if not constantly, offered a wide variety of products and services that may not be welcomed, but a firm and polite "no thanks" will eventually win. Tourists are the primary economy and more people are interested in your positive experience than are out to get you. I've had people try to gouge me on prices (especially when they think my math skills are impaired) but never once felt unsafe. If however, you want to find trouble, just act stupid and it will come fast.

iv) Best nights to go? There is something going on every nght somewhere. I'd suggest picking the night you want to go out and asking someone from the staff where the spot is that night.

i would check out negril.com search is your friend there.
    depending on your likes you will find what you need.
    Best nights are nights that would cater to your tastes and wants so again it comes back to what you are looking for .
    Example if you want the best after hours local experience that would be a diffetent reseult then if you are looking for the best happy hour for drinks ...
    as far as safety common sense in negril nyc or vegas is always in style.
    i would not
    [ ] flash lots of cash
    [ ] over induldge to the point you can not walk
    [ ] avoid any narcotics unless they are self supplied
    [ ] if he /she says she loves you they are telling the truth for the next 2 hours lol enjoy and no worries

We were on 7 mile beach two years ago for 11 nights not at an all inclusive. So we went out every night and never had to leave the beach for a great meal and good entertainment.

If you walk the beach during the day signs are posted telling you where the live Reggae music will be.

We also frequented other resorts where they had live bands from cool jazz to current dance music. All in all it was very fun each night.

One night on the way home on the road we picked up an authentic Jamaican meal. Grills were set up everywhere like hotdog stands. In the to go container there was fresh grilled snapper and that wonderful Jamaican rice. I thoroughly enjoyed it on our balcony when we got back to our resort. One of our favorite memories. My husband does not like fish but there was Red Stripe in the frige!

Sun Kissed, are you looking for live reggae bands or the more popular DJ soundstyem set ups?

Do you prefer indoor or outdoor venues?

The important thing to remember is that aside from one or two places, most Jamaican music spots don't even get started until 10pm with the crowds getting heavier closer to midnight. DO remember to do what Jamaicans do....FACTOR in time for a nap!! The only way to keep the energy level set for "party vibes" is to have an early dinner...lay down and sleep for a few hours...get up and roll out the door. Nothing will be dressy off property, so casual clothes will do....and unless you or other ladies with you know how to glide across the sand in stilletos like Jamaican women, leave the heels behind and wear dressy sandals or flipflops instead....you'll be much more comfortable.