Thread: Memory cards

Default Memory cards

What's the best memory card for a digital camera? Just looking for some advice on finding one that will hold lots of pics.
    Glenda & Mickey

The best one is the type your camera will take in the biggest size it will take.

Quote Originally Posted by IACouple View Post
    The best one is the type your camera will take in the biggest size it will take.

That's right! Your camera probably takes a specific one. And then I'd get either a 1GB or 2GB card. You can get the larger ones for pretty cheap nowadays. We bought our Sony 2GB from Walmart last April for $60. The number of pictures that can be stored depend on your picture size that you set it to.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Quote Originally Posted by IACouple View Post
    This is a big part of it, but...

Depending on the type of camera, you'll want to note the write speed as well as the brand. There are TONS of bargain basement cards in all formats that I wouldn't use as I like to be confident I'll be able to recover my pics from the card when it is time to download.

SanDisk is great, but if you're thinking of buying some "great deal", spend a bit of time with Google.
    Last edited by KrisJamie; July 10th, 2009 at 01:30 PM.

Default I only trust SanDisk

Since starting in digital photography in 2001, I only trust SanDisk cards. Your camera "probably" uses a Secure Digital (SD) card. For reference, I just got back from CN, and in 8 nights took about 1,300 pictures/videos... using around 5GB. I carried two 8GB cards, so I had one for backup.

Some people say to just use one card, others will say to use several so you don't put all your eggs in one basket. Of course, if you have a laptop, you can always back them up there.

As for price, the internet almost always wins... and there are usually great rebates available (e.g., on Adorama.com, you can get three 4GB SD cards for $50 after rebate).

Enjoy your trip!

Newegg is a good place to buy memory for your camera. We are taking a 4 GB card and 2x 16 GB cards.. we have a picture addiction, so we want to make sure we have enough space.

You'll need to know the type and speed, some older cameras still used compact flash (CF) and most newer cameras take Secure Digital (SD)/MicroSD/MicroSDHC.... there are lots of terms.
    The speed of the memory dictates how fast it will take and store pictures and how fast they will transfer to your computer (along with other factors).

We just got 2 4gig Sandisk SD cards from Costco for $28 dollars for both of them. Check out Sams or Costco too!
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come