Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default using Iphone as an Ipod without getting charged up the you-know-what

Howdy howdy,

anyone know if you can put your Iphone on airplane mode and use it as an Ipod in Jamaica, without ATT charging you ridiculous amounts?

What about using it to connect to the resort wifi???

I'm bringing it with me as my music/video source on the plane, but frankly I'm terrified to even turn the darn thing on once I'm in Jamaica for fear of being charged up the you-know-what.

So anyone know???

PS 22 DAYS LEFT WAAAAAHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Check this link at at&t - it has all tips for traveling internationally with your iphone:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/po...phone-tips.jsp

Turn off data roaming when you board the plane in the states and do not turn it back on until you are home again. I forgot this last time for about 30 minutes and had a $270 charge on my bill - ouch! I did get it fixed by planning the data plan and back dating it all but still...

Leave it in airplane mode the entire time and you will never even connect to their towers. Or turn the data roaming off and you will only get charged if you send an SMS or make a call.

Yes you can turn the wifi on an connect to the resorts system, but coverage is spotty.

Keep it on airplane mode and use the resort wifi. The phone will be diabled and you will not incur any roaming charges, but you will be able to surf the net and listen to your music.

Yep. Put it in airplane mode and it's isolated. It will still work as an iPod without any network coverage/rates whatsoever. If you put it in Airplane mode it will not see the wireless network though. U don't need to be overly worried about overseas charges unless you use the TELEPHONE feature of your iPhone. Take it off airplane mode once you're there and you can connect to couples wireless network just like any other network anywhere else. The network coverage is paid for in your bill, it's not like "long distance" or anything. No worries.
    (p.s. 36 Days left here!)

Under settings you can turn on airplane mode which let's you use everything that doesn't require a connection. That's how you use the iPod on the plane anyway. I don't know how to use wifi without turning it back on and if someone texts or calls you then you could potentially be screwed.

If you need Internet just go to the computers at the resort.

My wife and I are going to Couples Negril on April 18th and I have had the same questions. I found this web page which explains how to do use your IPHONE. It sounds good to me and i will still look farther into it.

Since I intended to access my email and the Internet solely through the hotel’s WiFi network, I asked AT&T for instructions to block the cellular network completely. Although it was a struggle to get the rep to agree to send me the appropriate information, she finally offered to send an email with instructions. The instructions were somewhat incomplete, but with research I was able to fill in the missing details and the steps I took successfully shut off the 3G network (I have since received my bill and it contained no roaming charges). The following are the steps I took for my iPhone 3GS:

1.Make sure that standard International Roaming and International Long Distance feature, if it is included in your cellular plan, is removed (call AT&T and make sure the rep adds a note to your account confirming that you requested this)
    2.Put the phone in airplane mode during my trip (Settings-Airplane Mode-ON)
    3.Disable 3G (Settings-General-Network-Enable 3G-OFF)
    4.Turn off data roaming (Settings-General-Network-Data Roaming-OFF)
    5.Make sure WiFi is enabled (Settings-WiFi-WiFi-ON)
    6.Turn of automatic pushing of email (Settings-Mail, Contacts, Calendars-Fetch New Data-Push-OFF and set Fetch to Manually)
    7.Although not absolutely necessary, I wanted to be very sure I was not mounting up the MB’s, so I reset the usage counter to zero in order to monitor it throughout the trip, ensuring my usage remained at zero. To do so, go to Settings-General-Usage-Reset Statistics (scroll to the very bottom).
    When I arrived in Curacao, I simply logged into the resort’s WiFi and Voila! I had access to the Internet, my email, Twitter, and could even make international phone calls with the iPhone Skype app without incurring cellular charges. When you return to the U.S., simply reverse the process, although you may choose not to reinstate the International Roaming and International Long Distance feature.

Turn all data, internet, texting off, leave wifi on and it will just be a Ipod.

To do this, go under the setting Icon and turn this stuff off. I would do a test run at home by sending a text from a different phone, call your phone, send a email to it, and trying to go on the internet on the phone with the wifi off in your house. If it does not work, then you are good. Then turn on the wifi in your house and see if you can get on the internet, and get email to check you did not turn to much off.

Depending on the resort, wifi is in different places, lobby for sure, some rooms.
    Enjoy.
    Irie Mon

Buy yourself a pay as you go Digicell phone if you need to call home quite a bit.. it's about $50 and i had 1000 minutes to call Canada.

In the General settings, turn off your roaming and your location finder. This will make your iPhone just a phone. Put it in airplane mode and then it's just an iPod. Then disable your wireless until you're ready to connect. If not, it will keep searching for it. I did this last April and didn't have any extra charges (though I never connected to wireless).
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014

CB - 2015

The iPod function of the iPhone works independently from making call, surfing the web, etc. I would put your phone in Airplane mode to be safe and use the iPod function without a problem. If you want to connect to the resorts Wi-Fi, but not get charged for data roaming, go to the Settings, General, then Network and turn off Data Roaming and G3 Roaming. You will need the Airplane mode off to run Wi-Fi.

Hope that helps.

Yes you can. I did the exact thing with airplane mode. I never tried or cared about the wifi. using the puters there was all i needed.

Default iphone fix so you dont get charged roaming fees

1.Make sure that standard International Roaming and International Long Distance feature, if it is included in your cellular plan, is removed (call AT&T and make sure the rep adds a note to your account confirming that you requested this)
    2.Put the phone in airplane mode during my trip (Settings-Airplane Mode-ON)
    3.Disable 3G (Settings-General-Network-Enable 3G-OFF)
    4.Turn off data roaming (Settings-General-Network-Data Roaming-OFF)
    5.Make sure WiFi is enabled (Settings-WiFi-WiFi-ON)
    6.Turn of automatic pushing of email (Settings-Mail, Contacts, Calendars-Fetch New Data-Push-OFF and set Fetch to Manually)
    7.Although not absolutely necessary, I wanted to be very sure I was not mounting up the MB’s, so I reset the usage counter to zero in order to monitor it throughout the trip, ensuring my usage remained at zero. To do so, go to Settings-General-Usage-Reset Statistics (scroll to the very bottom).

Just turn of Data Roaming and you will be fine. In airplane mode you won't be able to use wifi.
    Proud palapa hoarder since 2007 !!!

Just used my (UK) iPhone at CSA and it was fine. You need to make sure data roaming is switched off to avoid extortionate charges for internet but you can definitely use the (free) resort wifi so you can get email and Safari etc for nothing. I did use mine for regular voice calls and messaging but that's the same set up as for any mobile phone. If you do use airplane mode you lose voice and wifi as well as 3G so it's a bit of a sledgehammer! Just on the wifi you need a username and password which you need to collect from the front desk and it lasts a week. And finally the iPhone fits perfectly in the docking station on the radio so you should be in great shape...enjoy!

Turn your iPhone on airplane mode - you'll have all functionality except phone and visual voicemail.

thanks everyone. very helpful. :-)

3 weeks left!!!

I used my phone the entire week on airplane mode for the camera. Once I got back to the states, I turned it off airplane mode and all my messages and texts came in. I didn't get charged. We use Verizon.

suenmark, thanks for your detailed instructions. We will put them to use as we are leaving Saturday. Need it for urgent emails (relating to kid), tunes, and calling home via Skype.

I have an iPhone too, and called AT&T to ask how to avoid a huge bill. I was advised to TAKE OUT the SIM card, because there are bugs in the iTunes software that sometimes reset the options without you touching them. The ATT rep told me "that is the only sure way you can avoid unpleasant surprises."

The downside of removing the SIM card is that you cannot use any of the communications features on your phone - it will only work as an iPod.

Ok, I was just at CTI last week with my iPhone. Turn your roaming off via your settings, that's all you should need to do.

Now I will do you one better. Download the free Skype mobile app! Put $10 of credit on the Skype account (the minimum) and enjoy the cheapest calls to US you will find. Called the kids every night for at least 10 minutes (from my iPhone to the kids on our house land line - they did not need skype) and the cost came out to less than 2 cents a minute, really! The best spots for wifi connectivity are the swim up pool bar area and the other pool near the computer room. The lobby and main wifi were recognized on iPhone but I could never seem to get in.

I have checked both my credit card used to buy my $10 credit from skype and my att wireless bill and I don't see any extra charges at all.

ok now Couples please don't block access to skype via your wifi...

Have a great trip!

thanks for the tips.... will need them in May!!

Steve, that is a fabulous idea! I will have to give it a try in May when we are at CN. So much more convenient that a phone card.

Quote Originally Posted by markandjannett View Post
    Just turn of Data Roaming and you will be fine. In airplane mode you won't be able to use wifi.
    Yes, you can use wifi while in airplane mode. Initially, when you switch to airplane mode, it toggles wifi off. You just have to toggle wifi back on. You will still be in airplane mode, and connected to wifi.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast