Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Down 16 oz of water (at least) for every 2-3 drinks you have during the day. At bedtime take one ibuprofin, one Alka Seltzer with water, and a magnesium supplement. The body becomes magnesium deficient when one drinks alcohol; many believe that this may be a hangover culprit.

The reason that Emergen-C works so well, is that it is full of (in addition to a mega dose of vit C) "B" vitamins....that's why we always take a B complex vitamin....have also tried the alka-seltzer hangover remedy...it's essentially caffeine & aspirin..but the fizzy drink I think gets absorbed quicker than pills...plenty of water if at all possible while drinking is best..like one poster said tho, while on vacation in JA for some reason we DON"T get hangovers...I think it's because of the attitude/lattitude we are in...and knowing that with the cost of a couples trip....it's time we can't waste

Default Hangover Remedies?

the water is the secret.
    the sun dehydrates you and the alcohol dehydrates you.
    drink at least 1 glass of water to every 2 drinks and you should be fine.
    learned the hard way.
    Kim

The reason a hangover occurs is due to
    1. dyhdration
    2. depeletion of electrlytes and B vitamins (B 12 to be specific).

A 2009 study provided evidence that darker-colored liquors, such as bourbon, cause worse hangovers than lighter-colored liquors, such as vodka. The higher amount of congeners found in darker liquors compared to lighter ones was indicated as the cause.

Best thing is to take a vitamin (multi-vitamin workds best), advil, and gatorade to rehydrate and replace electrolytes lost. Eat something...it is also state that Eggs contain Cysteine which is known to help rehydrate.

I have to agree with everyone else...water. For every drink you have, drink a glass of water. Additionally, take an IBU before bed. Thats about it. And, if you have a hangover the next day, have alcohol with breakfast.

Lemon wedges under your armpits. Works like a charm!

Alka seltzer makes a hangover remedy... .I think it's called "wake-up call" or something similar. It's aspirin and caffeine in a fizzy tablet. Two of those and 15 minutes later, I feel MUCH better. Even after too much red wine. LOL. Of course, two aspirin and an enormous glass of water before you go to bed is even better... but in the event that you don't/can't remember... These are extremely helpful.

And then of course, there's always "hair of the dog" but i've never actually been able to bring myself to do that.

I always have one or two glasses of water before bedtime (a full glass) and for breakfast have a lot of fruit. Have a big breakfast with fruit juice, high fiber oatmeal, and some protein to flush out the toxins. Make sure that your recovery begins with the water the night before and you should be great after breakfast.

Aleve, greasy french fries and a pattie from the grill before bed.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Big glass of water right at bedtime works every time for me!

I usually eat something before bed if I am bad enough to get a hangover, 2 excedrin, and lots of water.

Ben, not sure what your drink of choice is...but if indulging in the frothy blended type drinks, DO ask that they be made WITHOUT syrup.....the sugar and the alcohol will get you far quicker than drinks without the syrup (kind of like Karo...so not needed with the wonderful fresh fruit blends...your drinks will taste a hundred times better.)

If still bothered the next day, hunt up a groundskeeper or vendor on the beach or property if one is available...tell them you want the Jamaican hangover cure = the water from a young coconut (called a "jelly"). The water is pure, full of potassium, will cure both head and stomach queasiness.) The "jelly" can be drunk at room temp or the outer shell cut off so it can then be chilled down in your room fridge. You could also just pour the coconut water over ice cubes too. This is one of the healthiest drinks you can have...hangover or not!

Quote Originally Posted by ddeitterick View Post
    Lemon wedges under your armpits. Works like a charm!
    Awsome will limes work.

Thanks everyone for your good suggestions! We are headed to CSA April 30th so I will have to report back the best remedy.
    Can't wait to put the lemon wedges in my armpits

Just start drinking again and start it all over.
    Irie Mon

The potassium makes sense... I've seen it used anecdotally on more than a few medical dramas (yeah, I know... it ain't real)... they call it a "banana bag"... vitamin K... which gets its name, I believe, from the chemical symbol for..... potassium.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Pedialyte at bedtime! Although, not sure if they sell that in Jamaica!

Hey Sista Dirt Diva, have you seen the Pedialyte powder packets?
    Yep! Pedialyte powder packets will be traveling with us to Jamaica.
    You know dis!

Erob

I read this in an e-mail......

One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey.. The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.

Hi girlie! P cubed? (Pedialyte Power Packets) Sweet! No mixing it in with Vodka though...or beef whistles will be heard during the night....

Thanks for the 411! I'm going to have to Google that one fo' sho!
    DD13

Default hangover remidies

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Going back to CSA at the end of April. I don't drink at home too often but when I'm on vacation I like to enjoy a few cocktails. Unfortunately, no matter how little or how much I enjoy a few drinks,I always end up with a terrible hangover.
    Since there are people reading this message board around the world, I thought I would see if there is something out there that I haven't tried?

Does anyone have any good suggestions? (besides the obvious of not drinking)

THANKS in advance
    You Should try to eat a decent meal before you imbibe that always seems to help (it does for me)

I do a big glass of water with a dramamine... Works for me!

Cheeseburger and a Coke and a few ibuprophin. If that does not knock it out then I throw in a beer.
    ... it keepsh me shane

Quote Originally Posted by erob View Post
    Hey Sista Dirt Diva, have you seen the Pedialyte powder packets?
    Yep! Pedialyte powder packets will be traveling with us to Jamaica.
    You know dis!

Erob
    Thats awesome!!
    -Otter,

The best remedy is a tall glass of orange juice!!!! It has never failed! Try it. Within an hour, you'll start drinking again...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast