Default Rookies coming to CN April 20-27th

So we are rookies escaping the cold coming to CN. We chose it based on a friends recommendation. We have done alot of searching online and found some great things to do. How much shoulod we plan to do out of the resort? And what 3 things are a must do?

I cant wait for the beach/sun and get away from this snow !!

I think doing things outside of the resort depends on what you want out of your vacation. In the 7 times we have been to Jamaica, only twice have we gone off site. We go to Jamaica to rest, relax, and do nothing. So we don't go running around the country.

If you are wanting to go off site, I suggest a trip to Pelican Bar, but combine it with a trip to the Black River and YS Falls. It is a day long excursion, but lots of fun.

On site, we enjoy walking the beach from one end to the other at least once a day, going on the catamaran trip and sliding off the slide into the ocean, and sitting on the balcony at night sipping a cocktail and listening to the house band. It feels like our own private concert. There are so many wonderful things to do at CN that narrowing it down to 3 is difficult.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Quote Originally Posted by jasonw View Post
    So we are rookies escaping the cold coming to CN. We chose it based on a friends recommendation. We have done alot of searching online and found some great things to do. How much shoulod we plan to do out of the resort? And what 3 things are a must do?

if you have nevr been to negril then i would suggest the following.
    pick a day mid stay and if possible one that is over cast. Have a nice lunch then grab a cab and have the take you to the end of long bay ( referred to as 7 mile beach) then take your time and walk the 4-5 mile stretch enjoy a cold redstripe at one of the many mom and pop bars walk past CSA
    At any point if you get tired you can walk to the street and hail a cab... This is a great way to
    [x] check out the world famous 7 mile beach on your terms
    [x] drink in the local beach vibe and vendors
    [x] get a walking tour of all the resorts along long bay
    [x] buy a local rasta with blood shot eye a cold redstripe and ask him a few questions sit back and enjoy living history from a perspective much different then yours ...

as nice as CN is it is what it is... the vibe of negril is in the sand the surf and the people ... by the end of your walk you will either get it or not .. enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by jasonw View Post
    So we are rookies escaping the cold coming to CN. We chose it based on a friends recommendation. We have done alot of searching online and found some great things to do. How much should we plan to do out of the resort? And what 3 things are a must do?

....I thought I wanted to see the sites an go go go. Had all kinds of trips planned. Once there, I sat at the beach and watched the tide roll in. It really doesn't get any better than that.

We will arriving on the 24th... you guys will be experts by then and can let us know what to do.

If you want to get off the resort, we have done all of the following, if you have specific questions about any of them ask away.

Rick's Cafe worth a trip at least once to see the professional cliffdivers, and watch the sunset from the cliff's (10-15 min cab ride from CN) Rick's is world famous and recently rebuilt as a result of being destroyed by a hurricane. Wear your suit under your clothes, you can swim or jump/dive from various heights.

Mayfield Falls, a very interactive riverwalk, you are in the water the entire time, with natural jacuzzi's, underwater tunnels to swim through etc. Series of small falls. Beautiful drive, approx 1-1/2 hrs from CN.

YS Falls, The Pelican Bar, Black River, YS Falls are absolutely gorgeous, they have tubes, rope swings, and now offer a zipline. The Pelican Bar was an outstanding experience. You take off from Treasure Beach which is unspoiled JA, in a wooden boat we had dolphins along the way to a bar on stilts in the ocean. Floyd the owner is a genius, where else but JA??? The Black River is where you see the croc's and we stopped at the Bar in the Middle of Nowhere for a Red Stripe stop, ate at roadside stands, and drove through Bamboo Avenue on the way back. A full, but outstanding day.

Three Dives Jerk Shack, in the cliffs, for lobster is outstanding, but unless they have it frozen you will be out of luck, lobster is out of season while you are there.

Whatever you do in JA, I do always suggest getting off the resort for a day to experience the countryside, the people, culture, and the sights, that is what travel is all about. The rest of your trip relax, and experience all that Couples includes for your enjoyment, go snorkeling, do the Cat cruise which is a blast! Well you get the idea.

Happy Travels,
    Marie

p.s.
    Do not miss Otaheite, just beware of the never empty wine glass!