Default Confused with baggage rules.

Greetings, I have read the TSA web pages and am still confused about what size containers of liquids, sun screen and bug repellent mainly, can go in CHECKED bags. Is it still limited to the 3.4 oz container or can a larger size like 8 or 10oz. sealed in a zip lock be in the checked bag? Leaving 3-29,can't wait!!!!
    ARE WE THERE YET??

There is no size limit for checked luggage. The only limit on sizing of liquids is for carry-on; the 3-1-1 rule is for carry-on only.

The prohibited items page( http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm) are for both checked and carry on. The "No" and "Yes" in the "Carry-On" and "Checked" columns are "No, you can't take this" and "Yes, you can." So, No, you cannot pack your saber in your carry-on, for example, but yes, you can pack it into checked baggage.

And then beyond that, it's whatever the customs rules are of the country to which you are traveling, but that's going to be more rules around importation, not around a tourist's shampoo bottle.

You are only limited on the sizes that you bring in your carry-on bag. You can put whatever size you want in Checked bags. I always put larger sizes of things that I use a lot of like lotions etc, in my check bags because the small bottles that we can carry on are never enough. I usually bring at least one smaller size in my carry-on just to be sure I have some in case the checked luggage gets lost, but I always put larger sizes in the checked.
    Linda

I have some of the same questions too! Thanks for posting. Maybe someone will be kind enought to answer for us!???!!!

"Is it still limited to the 3.4 oz container "

Yes it is.

There is not a limit on the size of liquids that you put in your CHECKED bags, the only limit is on your CARRY-ON since this bag is going to be accessible to you during the flight. We always go by 3oz or less, since that's the "3-1-1 rule" 3oz, 1qt size bag, 1 bag of liquids per person...however I noticed on TSA's website it says 3.4oz.

In the checked luggage, it can be any size. I must have brought 5 full size containers of sunscreen with varying SPFs and a full size bug spray. PLUS my various lotions and potions that us gals "need" LOL! I always put them in two ziplock bags just in case there is any leakage - don't want to get it all over my clothes! Have fun!

Small size in zip lock bag for carry on. Large bottles to be in checked luggage.

The container size only applies to carryon luggage. You can have larger containers in your checked luggage

There is no limit to what can be in your CHECKED bag. The only limits are to your carry-on, which must be bottles of less than 3.4 oz. for liquids and must fit in one quart-size ziploc.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

That is what I thought, but wanted to make sure, thanks a lot, CSA here we come.
    ARE WE THERE YET??

Just watch the weight on your checked luggage, it's usually 50 lbs, but check with your carrier to be sure. I've been behind many people who needed to open their bags and redistribute their belongings in front of the entire line of people (some bristling) waiting to check in.

oops, missed the "checked" part!

Sorry to divert this thread, but does anyone know if it is alright to have medical syringes in carry-ons? I have recently been put on new meds that are pre-filled syringes and I don't want to check them. Will they allow them past security? I know they won't fit in a quart bag as I need so many of them for a 1 week stay.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradojuli View Post
    Sorry to divert this thread, but does anyone know if it is alright to have medical syringes in carry-ons? I have recently been put on new meds that are pre-filled syringes and I don't want to check them. Will they allow them past security? I know they won't fit in a quart bag as I need so many of them for a 1 week stay.
    Looks like they allow for liquid prescription medication, but I don't know abou the syringe part. This link has info on medical issues and contact information toward the bottom. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...eds/index.shtm

I would ask before you go, maybe get approval in writing or something because you know you're bound to have a hassle in the security line.

They are supposed to be okay since they are for medical purposes, but you must show them to security before your bags go through.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

As for storing your shampoos, gels, liquids, etc. in plastic ziplock (or otherwise) in your CHECKED bags, there is no requirement one way or another. However, its always a good idea to do so to avoid any tragic surprises in your luggage when you reach your destination.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Thanks for the information. I'm headed to Phoenix next weekend so I'll get to see then what happens.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

I found this on the TSA website; I have Diabetes and will be carry a prefilled syringe and other supplies, so I needed to know myself.
    Notify the Security Officer that you have diabetes and are carrying your supplies with you. The following diabetes-related supplies and equipment are allowed through the checkpoint once they have been screened:

Insulin and insulin loaded dispensing products (vials or box of individual vials, jet injectors, biojectors, epipens, infusers, and preloaded syringes;
    Unlimited number of unused syringes when accompanied by insulin or other injectable medication;
    lancets, blood glucose meters, blood glucose meter test strips, alcohol swabs, meter-testing solutions;
    Insulin pump and insulin pump supplies (cleaning agents, batteries, plastic tubing, infusion kit, catheter, and needle); Insulin pumps and supplies must be accompanied by insulin.
    Glucagon emergency kit;
    Urine ketone test strips;
    Unlimited number of used syringes when transported in Sharps disposal container or other similar hard-surface container.
    Sharps disposal containers or similar hard-surface disposal container for storing used syringes and test strips.

Thanks for the information. I'm headed to Phoenix next weekend so I'll get to see then what happens.
    Make sure they are in the original Prescription container. Our son needs an epi pen and we will carry it on to go to FL, but I am also getting a script from the doctor if for some reason they make me dispose of it.
    Vicky

If they are aerosols then yes, you are limited to travel-size in your checked bag. If you take larger quantities (like a normal size can of hairspray) in your checked luggage there is a good likelihood that TSA will remove the item(s). Ask your travel agent for details.