Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Airline?

Default Best Airline?

Can you please post your experiences with the airlines to/from Jamaica? That may play into our decision about which airline to go with.

Does anyone know which are charging for bags, etc.?

Not sure which airlines are at your disposal but I think I saw on an Expedia update I received recently that American Airlines does not charge a baggage fee for International flights.
    We will be on Airtran having had to change Airlines after Air Jamaica changed their routes

I don't know if you'll get the "best" airline so much as the "least bad" airline - such is the state of flying today.

I believe most airlines still include one free checked bag (at least) when flying internationally.

Beyond that - it depends. Are you in a frequent flyer club for which you'll earn miles? Are you having to connect, or does your hometown airline fly direct? If you have to connect, you might consider that Atlanta is a very busy airport which is prone to delays and avoid Delta.

I'd just go by price and whether the bags are included, really. We've flown to Jamaica on American, Delta, Northwest, and US Air, and they were all pretty adequate and comparable. We've booked again on American, simply because it was the cheapest ticket.

All of the majors, except Southwest, are charging for bags. However, some have stipulations, like I have a certain credit card so Continental doesn't charge me the fees. Once you decide on an airline, check out their website for specific baggage fees.

The best airline depends on where you're flying out off - which airport?

For us, the best is Continental - it's cheap and direct. But that's because we live in Houston which is a Continental hub. When we lived in TN, Delta was the best for Jamaica. If you're in Chicago, Air Jamaica might be the best.

A good place to start for price comparisons across airlines is www.kayak.com
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Indymommy View Post
    Can you please post your experiences with the airlines to/from Jamaica? That may play into our decision about which airline to go with.
    Does anyone know which are charging for bags, etc.?
    Depends on where you are travelling from...

If from Canada I'd say AC/014, from a fleet availability standpoint. Read this as less chance of major delay or cancellation.

Check the website of the particular airline for current baggage costs/and restrictions. They are all different, and change like the wind.

Also, if travelling from the USA, the TSA website is a mandatory visit.

TSA

... or if from Canada CATSA's website.

CATSA

CATSA Mobile

Any other country, do a Google search for the appropriate security authority of that country.

Security authorities are "God" with airlines having to comply with their set regulations, no exceptions.

Saves much embarrassment and annoyance at the airport.

Cheers,
    Tom & Erin 22x CSA Veterans
    The Janadians

Don't worry about a thing, 'cuz every little thing is gonna be all right...
    Robert Nesta Marley

The "best" airline is the one that flies from your hometown airport with the most direct flight ( or a non stop ) to MBJ..

For us, that USED to be Air Jamaica...now we use American. We have only had to pay for the 5th bag, as most International flights allow each passenger 2 bags.

I'm with ElaineChick, they are all about the same. I would go with the best price/times. As of now, Delta, Northwest & Continential will allow one bag international, American allows 2.

Quote Originally Posted by WandA View Post
    The "best" airline is the one that flies from your hometown airport with the most direct flight ( or a non stop ) to MBJ..

For us, that USED to be Air Jamaica...now we use American. We have only had to pay for the 5th bag, as most International flights allow each passenger 2 bags.
    Not always true on the bag fees. US Airways basically considered Jamaica a "domestic" flight going down, and WILL charge for the bags. For some reason, flying back, they consider it an international flight, and only charge for the second bag. American considers Jamaica to be international, so you do get the one free bag (can't say about the second).

And to answer the basic question, "best" is in the eye of the beholder. Price; which airport might be used as a stopover (again, using US Airways as an example, Charlotte is splendid, Philadelphia is not); alternative airports you might use as a departure point; fees (which DO add up quickly - also consider what they might charge to reserve your seat ahead of time!); when you get to MoBay; how big a layover -- all are part of the decision.

Best is relative. My personal preference is American Airlines. My husband and I have had the best luck with them. Note: We also live near Chicago aren't really limited on who we can fly. If you're limited, then the decision's been made for you!

With my preference stated, the next person will probably post that they've had terrible experiences with American and they love US Air (with whom I've had NOTHING but trouble).

So...really, it all depends. YOu aren't going to find one that everyone thinks is the best.

Looks like you are probably interested in flights out of Indianapolis. Like us in Cincinnati, you won't have any direct flights. Your choices, with one stop seem to be: Delta through Memphis, Continental through Houston, US Air through Charlotte, and Air Tran through Orlando.

When we pick a flight we weigh our options based on cost, length of layover, least hassle for customs on the return, and arrival time in Montego Bay. We like to arrive as early as possible. We like US Air through Charlotte because customs there does not seem to take as long as say Atlanta or Miami. And Charlotte is relatively small and an easy airport to navigate. I've never done it, but I understand that Memphis is pretty quick and easy too.

I use this website ( http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ ) to see a listing of available flights for all the major airlines. It shows all the information that is important to us. To me the graphic representation is easiest to view and understand.

Just an opinion. But it works for us.
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

We've flown to Jamaica on Northwest/Delta, Air Jamaica, and Spirit. If you fly frequently enough, you know that you can have good and bad experiences on any airline. Sometimes, bad experiences are beyond the airline's control, such as when your destination airport shuts down due to bad weather.

We generally select an airline that offers a direct flight to MoBay. If more than one airline has a direct flight, our second criterion is the more convenient departure/arrival time, and our third criterion is cost.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Delta is not charging for our bags for our trip. We are flying out of Louisville, connecting in Atlanta, then on to MoBay.
    Vicky

Air travel is no longer glamorous. Its an ordeal... always. You are subject to the vagueries of weather, regulations, inspections, fare rules, overcrowding, overbooking, user fees... you name it.

Airlines are now an inconvenient, albeit necessary, means of getting from here to there.

As others have said, go with the most direct route and airline, at the best price. From there, it is what it is. There are no best airlines; only best schedules and best prices.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Use American Airlines...still free checked baggage to/from Jamaica for this airline. I believe most others (possibly except soon to disappear Air Jamaica) charge $25 or so for baggage.

Yes, the best airline is the one that can get you to Jamaica as fast as possible. We use US Air and it has always been great and we love that we get to MBJ in the A.M. so we have more time to have fun.

We are taking a one way flight from Orlando with JetBlue and there are no baggage fees!!!

I contacted American Airlines and was told for international flights that 2 bags per person are free, as long as they are under 50lbs each.

If you fly American Airlines and use American Airlines reward miles there is no charge for you bags up to two bags per person with no bag weighing more then 50 pounds

Default Only one bag free....

Quote Originally Posted by blueyes5 View Post
    We are taking a one way flight from Orlando with JetBlue and there are no baggage fees!!!
    JetBlue only gives you ONE free checked bag. The second one is $25 each way.... We're going to have to get it all in one bag each this trip as we're flying JetBlue direct out of Orlando.

Thanks, everyone. We are flying out of Indy. It sounds like I'll want to see if American Airlines works as far as timing, since they have free baggage. I have been looking at times and note that some airlines have up to 6 hour layovers. No thanks!

Can't wait to go "home" for the first time in October!

It all depends what the ticket price is. Delta and American do not charge for bags if flying to Jamaica. The others do. Get the best price and factor in if they charge for bag or not. This year Delta was 200 cheaper for us and free bags. Two years ago it was USA Air.

Service wise they are all about the same, not great like the old days.
    Irie Mon

We are flying AA for the first time internationally and this is straight from their website: Other International Travel
    One bag carry-on. No charge

Two bags checked. No charge

We fly JetBlue now that they serve Jamaica from MCO, our airport. What a treat! We normally carry on but they check one bag for free.

The best airline is the one that gets you to Jamaica early and takes you home late and if possible do it with a non stop flight.

For that I'll pay the extra $$$ for my bags. It's worth it!

Jet blue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast