Default Our Thoughts On The New CTI

I'd like to preface our review with the following caveats: First, we were very excited to be finally coming to CTI after waiting for the reopening for three years. We were initially delayed by the virus which resulted in a quarantine keeping us from our U.K. friends. The second and third delays were due to renovations being behind schedule and a fire in the warehouse holding furniture and other items. We have visited CSA and only have this Couples location as well as CTI prior to her renovation for comparison purposes. We have visited Jamaica four times.

Positives:

Renovation of CTI

In our opinion the renovations were well done in some areas like the lobby. The color scheme used is appropriate for a tropical location and the furniture is both elegant and functional.

The 8 Rivers Restaurant was the most major improvement as prior to its redesign, the mildew odor in this space was overwhelming. The high ceilings and lovely murals add a special Caribbean touch to the atmosphere.

The new-wing rooms are spacious with modern bathrooms and walk-in showers. The older rooms seem to be much unchanged with the exception of newer plumbing fixtures, sinks and flat screen TVs.

The new swimming pool & swim-up bar was a wonderful addition to CTI's grounds. It gives CTI guests the opportunity to sunbathe in two separate pool areas. The swim-up bar provides lively conversation and bar service was always prompt.

The new gym and exercise rooms are wonderful additions. The locations overlooking the original pool area and ocean are delightful during a workout. Towels, water and a TV are also provided.

The Veranda restaurant was transformed by the new upholstery and bright Caribbean color scheme. The banquette with loose pillows was a beautiful and comfortable area to enjoy one's meal. The other tables looked tropical and comfortable as well.

The new spa is a major improvement. Prior to the renovations, the old spa was a small, tired space. The new spa is spacious, providing both a zen atmosphere and the ability to provide any and all services one would expect. The hot tub and small pool were not only lovely to look at, but enhanced the overall atmosphere as well. Very well done redesign.

The tennis courts were once clay. Now Colin is able to provide his expertise on grass courts. This improvement is unexpected and most welcome as grass courts are not common at most clubs in the United States or Canada.

Staff of CTI

As with any resort, there are always a few stars who stand out from the rest. Exceeding one's elevated expectations at a Couples restaurant seems to be certain staff members' goal.

Foremost in our minds is the server, Courtney. This gentleman is truly a gentleman. He was always efficient and professional. He always greeted us with a smile, handshake, and warm greetings. We will miss hearing about his children and his wonderful parenting goals for them. He is a class act.

Kenesha, Antoinette and Paul set themselves apart as they did their very best to meet the demand at the bars. Never did we see them lose their sweet smiles or positive attitudes even when given ample reason to do so by intoxicated and demanding guests.

LaToya, the wedding coordinator, is truly an asset to any bride or vow-renewal bride planning on using CTI's lovely grounds. She went out of her way to ensure that our vow-renewal was as special as it should be. Although the US wedding coordinator made some mistakes, LaToya quickly noticed the oversights and rectified the situations as best she could. She provided both answers to questions as well as a warm and supportive shoulder to lean on as the big day approached. We will hold the memories she provided us very close in our hearts. Quite simply, we adored her.

Food Quality At CTI

As with keeping with Couples Ocho Rios' past, the food quality and variety is exceptional.

The change from Bayside's Italian menu to that of a high level Thai restaurant was a welcome one. In over two weeks at this resort, we frequented this restaurant the most due to its changing menu and exquisite food. Both the presentation and the taste of the Bayside's cuisine were exceptional. The chef often came out of the kitchen to visit the guests to ensure that their meal either met or exceeded their expectations. Such attention to detail and satisfaction level was a welcome and refreshing change.

8 Rivers Restaurant has changed in large and small ways-both of which are very positive. The atmosphere is greatly improved by the loss of the strong mildew odor. This was a distracting and unwelcome ambiance for fine dining. However, now that that issue has been so effectively dealt with, dining at 8 Rivers is a culinary delight. The service and presentation of the meals are second to none. The menu remained the same throughout our time at CTI, but due to the variety on the menu it was not a drawback. *We had our vow-renewal reception at 8 Rivers. The staff was exceptionally attentive and the cuisine was as special as the evening deserved. Truly a memorable evening.*

The buffet was never the same twice. Breakfast had mainstays like the omelet station with the charming Myra-Sue. Lunch had thin-crust pizzas which were difficult to get due to them being so delicious, unique and in such high demand. Dinner always had something for everyone's taste whether it be roast beef, fish or sushi. If one found reservations at any of the other restaurants difficult, dining in the buffet was guaranteed to have something to please everyone as long as you didn't mind serving yourself.

The new veggie-bar was another very welcome addition to CTI's dining options. The location was directly on the beach which meant that you could admire the turquoise sea while waiting for your selection. The staff, like Karon, were always ready and willing to serve you with a smile. The menu choices were exactly what the health conscience require, yet very tasty too.

The grill provided staples like hamburgers and french-fries at all hours of the day or night. This was especially appreciated by those who arrived long after the dining options were closed. However, one had to pity those who were unfortunate enough to be in one of the many new rooms above this area as the frying odors were quite strong at times.

Negatives:

Acoustics/Sound are a large problem at CTI due to the problem being in many popular areas of the resort.

The areas where this was especially problematic was the hallways to the guest rooms in the original buildings. The change from carpeted flooring to the new sisal-type rug is the originator of the lack of proper sound absorption. Sound reverbs throughout the hallways whenever a guest or staff walks the hallway. Whenever a door is shut it sounded like a small bomb had gone off. The acoustics when guests or staff were speaking in a normal tone of voice in the hallways also was very poor. It was even worse whenever a guest or group of guests were returning to their rooms in an intoxicated state. This was and is a serious problem for CTI to solve as sleeping is very difficult with frequent loud noises.

The other area where this is a special problem is 8 Rivers restaurant. During usual operation, the dining area was at a comfortable noise level. However, we attended two Repeater Dinners and the noise level at both was obnoxious, causing many guests to leave early. This was very unfortunate as the whole purpose of the Repeaters Dinner was to chat with your fellow Couples guests. Normal conversation was virtually impossible as it was often much too loud to hear those on the other side of the table without nearly shouting. This situation needs an immediate remedy-whether that be installing upholstery in the wall recesses to absorb sound or to limit the amount of guests invited to the Repeaters Dinner. Something must be done as it is unbearable in its current state.

The new games area which is adjacent the gym area also has a terrible problem with acoustics. The large room houses a pool table and a ping-pong table along with a large screen TV. The sound from the TV coupled with the reverb of normal conversation is a problem. There are absolutely no textiles in the space with which to absorb any or all excess sound. Perhaps mounting upholstered fabrics to the wall would help address this problem.

The Room Decor in the original buildings was a disappointment.

Since we changed our room upon check-in from a new room above the grill area to one in an original building, we were especially aware of the stark differences in decor. The original yellow valance above the French doors was liberally spotted with visible mildew. The sheers were also dingy from age and spotted with mildew. After reading many reviews touting the elegance and improvements of the major renovations, it was a let down to see the rooms in the original building were neglected. The minor costs associated with replacing the valances & sheers certainly could have been included in a multi-million dollar renovation.

Strong Mildew Odor in Piano Bar

Although the previous mildew odor which was a problem in 8 Rivers was rectified, the same can not be said for the piano bar area. The piano bar area had a mildew problem four years ago and it is still a problem. It seems that the staff is aware of this and their solution is to place the air-conditioning at a polar level to thwart any more mildew from developing. This results in the piano bar area being repellent for two reasons: odor and temperature. It is extremely unfortunate that monies were not spent in the renovation to solve this problem as was the case next door at 8 Rivers. Many, many guests commented on this issue both to one another and to management at the Repeaters Dinner. It was repeatedly requested that the air-conditioning be turned warmer. Those requests were denied.

Broken/Abused Water Sports Equipment

My husband is an avid sailor and wind-surfer. The neglected condition of the hobie-cats was shocking considering that CTI prides itself on providing water sport equipment for its guests. The repairs that the hobies required were minimal. That is why the lack of repairs done was such a surprise. While we were there we had many red-flag days which resulted in closed water sports activities. The time we witnessed the water sports employees wasting could have been put to much better use by repairing broken masts, broken booms, tangled lines, and other needed repairs which were overlooked and neglected.

The wind-surfer equipment was also in terrible condition. The surfboards were missing mast-base covers, foot-straps, and pull-up straps to name just a few. Again, time wasted during many red-flag days could have gone a long way in repairing and upgrading the condition of the resort's water sport equipment.

Poor Service in Morning Buffet

During our two-week plus stay, we would frequently come down to breakfast to find many dirty tables and no coffee available. Understanding that staff need ample time to bus tables and reset them, we gave them the benefit of the doubt the first few times it happened due to the resort being at capacity. However we quickly realized that this was a chronic problem, prompting other guests to complain to the breakfast management to no avail. There is no excuse to have so many staff working and no clean tables available upon arrival each and every morning. One would feel very fortunate to come down to find more than one or two clean, set-up tables ready to receive them on any given morning.

Coffee, or lack thereof, was another inexcusable problem for the breakfast buffet. The one universal drink nearly everyone expects and needs first thing in the morning is coffee. To be told there was none available was both maddening and extremely frustrating. When the coffee was available it was nearly impossible to have it refilled by a server. More than once I was brushed off by servers who apparently felt it a higher priority to rearrange the used dishes at a station than to refill my coffee. This prompted me to take matters into my own hands and walk across the room to the large coffee urn and serve myself. This resulted in guests competing for the large coffee cups which were kept under the coffee urn. Our logic was that since it was so difficult to get coffee-we wanted larger cups than usual to meet our needs. Other guests took their in-room coffee pots and filled them themselves at the coffee urn in order to have coffee throughout their breakfast without long, frustrating waiting time. This was a well known problem throughout our time at CTI and yet nothing was ever done to improve the problem.

Overall Impression of the New CTI

Our first visit to Couples Ocho Rios was a magical experience. We felt the overall atmosphere then was both relaxing and efficient. The staff were exceptional throughout the resort and no attention to detail in any area was overlooked.

Unfortunately, we did not feel that way after leaving CTI. We arrived full of high expectations based on the glowing reviews posted on this message board and the fact that CTI was award-winning based on its multi-million dollar renovation. Our attitude was one of hope that as our stay progressed, the problems which bothered us would be rectified. We did not witness chronic problems being handled in an efficient and professional manner which disappointed us.

We still feel that the staff Couples resorts hires are wonderful, friendly and eager to please for the most part. We truly enjoyed interacting with many members of CTI's staff and we let them know that we thought them exceptional.

However that magic quality that originally endeared this resort to us is gone in our opinion. Often times this happens after a resort undergoes a renovation or is closed for some time due to other circumstances. It is our sincere hope that with time CTI will be able to regain her former glory in achieving the high levels of guest satisfaction on every level.

Meanwhile, we will continue to think very highly of Jamaica, its loving people and the Couples resorts in general...and wait for better days to come.

Wow, sorry you had so many problems. We had none of these issues when we were there in October. The piano bar in particular was fantastic and busy the whole time and no smells. We didn't have issue with sound and we were front and center of the main buiding. I'm sure the management will be looking into the issues. I hope all the guests made their issues known while they were there.

No doubt that your opinions on both the good and bad at the renovated CTI were truly from the heart, and some were a matter of physical detail, not just an opinion of personal taste, such as the mildew in the piano bar, the acoustics at 8 Rivers, etc. And I'm sorry Couples management, but I couldn't agree more with one of those stated problems. No coffee available at the breakfast buffet? You're right, inexcusable, no other way to explain that one.

If Rosa and I have one advantage as a couple of newbies, it's there is no previous experience from which to draw which might otherwise affect our opinions regarding old vs new. But that doesn't mean we can't experience some of the good or bad as what you had, we just won't have a point of reference to use.

Thanks, we'll keep all what you said in mind, both the positive and not so positive.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

There is an odd odor in the piano bar - - and it was a little cooler than the rest of the resort (although it's not open air - so perhaps that's why).

I never had a problem having coffee - - thankfully - - as I truly need it first thing in the morning. :-)

We also didn't experience the noise problem. Although I sleep like a rock, my husband is a very light sleeper. We both commented on how *quiet* it was - - much different than any other resort we've experienced!!

We just returned from our first trip to CTI, and while there were areas needing improvement we loved it overall.

As for the negatives you mention, we didn't experience much of the acoustics problems, but I can see how the new plastic-woven rugs could contribute to worse acoustics than carpeting. Then again, they also probably prevent or eliminate mildew growth, so it's a trade-off. I'm a light sleeper and never experienced a problem sleeping due to poor acoustics while at CTI.

I also don't recall the repeaters dinner being too loud. We had 3 couples at our table, and we enjoyed conversation the entire time.

We spent several hours in the Piano Bar for karoake nights and also having drinks before and/or after dinner. I agree the temperature was a bit "brisk", but we didn't detect any mildew odor at all. Neither did the couples we were with. That said, I did see them removing the furniture during the day and cleaning the floors, so perhaps that was an attempt to keep the problem at bay?

We rarely saw an issue with unbussed tables at the Patio restaurant during breakfast. I don't drink coffee so I can't comment on that, although my wife does drink it and she was offered (and given) coffee by the server every morning we ate there.

Our biggest issue was the lack of repeaters "bonuses". We never got our bottle of champagne and cookies, although we did get our 30-minute couples massage. We also got our T-shirts, but they were not the sizes we requested and no attempts at exchanging them were successful (the answer every day was "check back tomorrow"). And our departing snack and water bottle was given to us only after were asked 2 employees, and even then we only got the snack bars and no water bottles.

That was really the only bummer abour our whole trip: the fact that we were barely acknowledged as repeaters, and even when we were something was usually amiss (like the T-shirt sizes). Other than that, we had a fantastic time!

Very good, detailed and honest review. Which is very necessary, for the new and old guest to try to make conclusions on where they want to spend there precious vacation/holiday time and money.
    One recent review, kinda discouraged the comparison of one Couples to another; but, when you have visited Couples, (whichever one) it’s pretty hard not to compare the quality, atmosphere, and magic that Couples seems to offer for your get away.
    With that said, we just returned from CTI, with the same expectations you had for your vacation. And found the resort real nice.
    We did enjoy the same highlighted areas you mentioned, but have to also comment that we did not find the Piano bar to musty or smelling of mildew. The only problem we had with it, was the singing didn’t start till 10, and we were just too tired. But, the one night we did make it for sing-along we had so much fun.
    Just so all know: we ordered room service coffee in the morning, had a carafe of it on our balcony, and then went to the buffet to still enjoy blue mountain coffee. We didn’t have any issues with the staff in the morning, and like another MB reader, and as you pointed out, Jamaican coffee and coffee in general is a huge necessity for many. I want to hope that your experience was isolated and if it was a problem, they have taken care of it.
    Its unfortunate that you experienced some disappointments with your stay, I certainly hope Couples listens to your description of the older room, and takes actions to update those, to the quality of the new, as well as the water sports equipment.
    Irie,
    Barb

I just wanted to thank you for posting an honest review of your experience.

It really helped me since we have a week booked at CTI next year. I'll have my eye on that coffee pot at breakfast. =)

Also, if you get assigned to an "old room," is there a way to get reassigned to a new one? Any idea anyone?

thanks for your review!!!

While this is not the CTI we stayed at 8 years ago, it is still Couples!
    We did not experience any of the complaints that you have stated! Our stay was wonderful. It is not the same resort but the staff is still one of the best!
    Things are never what you expect from a prior experience, especially if it was your first trip but every experience is different.
    We switch between CSS and CN, but we had to go back to CTI as it was the first trip to Couples and we wanted to see it after the upgrade.
    We hope you give Couples another try, may be another resort (CSS IS THE BEST)

We just got back from CTI and I did post a long review. You reminded me of three things I did forget:

1. The mealtime hours - what's with breakfast not being served until 7:30? My hubby is an early riser...he wasn't impressed. We didn't see the bussing problem in the morning, but there were never enough attendants to staff the Omlette bar, the waffle station and the Ham Carving station. In fact, on the last morning there, we were filling out our Survey card and my hubby and I laughed when I said I was going to write under comments: "CUT THE DAMN HAM!" lol (I didn't...we just got a good laugh out of it)

2. The acoustics were TERRIBLE. You could hear EVERY little noise from the hallways. I'd forgotten since it was mostly drowned out by the music from below, and the non-ceasing staff knocking at the door.

3. I didn't smell mildew in the piano bar (which was very nice by the way), however, the smell in the ladies room by the main pool was enough to make me climb two stories of stairs and run to the end of the hall to use the bathroom in our room instead.

We too just recently returned from CTI. We had a great vacation but also noticed a few additonal items that could be checked into.

As far as accoustics, we had an oceanview room on the main floor of the main building. We could hear everything in the hallway from the far end of the building all the way to the piano bar, and then also any discussions being held outside from the new pool to past the pier. That area used to be so quiet at night. The piano bar itself was very noisy when there were multiple groups holding discussions in there. We were in there prior to the repeaters' dinner and it all just sounded like a loud constant hum.

One other thing regarding smells...the hallway in the main building by the stairway leading down to the new pool was horrendous! It always smelled like a dirty restroom throughout our whole vacation. The smell was never in our room luckily, but I could not understand why the smell in the hallway was never addressed.

Which rooms are the new rooms? We are booked to go to CTI the last week of May. We have been to CN two times, but we wanted to try something different. Now, I'm concerned that we may want to rethink our choice.

We found many of the same problems that you did. We hated eating in the Patio as the tables were all dirty or occupied and you couldn't find a seat. It was a problem with every meal. There was more than one time we stood around holding our plate of food with nowhere to sit even though there were empty tables, they needed to be bussed.

We also didn't like the acoustics in 8 Rivers. It was way too loud and we felt like our private conversation (even tho we were whispering) was heard by the entire restaurant.

The repeaters dinner was awful on more than one account. Not only was the room so loud that you couldn't hear, but we also had no one from management at our table.

The service for the Repeater's Dinner was awful and our table ended up being the last served and people were leaving before we even got our entree.

We also noticed the smell in the Piano Bar, but we didn't stay long there as the week we were there, there was a wedding party that would take over the bar and make it into a meat market, so we stayed away.

We didn't sleep well at night not because of the hallway noise, but because of the loud obnoxious music coming from the Patio. It would go on until 1 in the morning. We talked to management about it and they seemed surprise to hear it went so long.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

We also just returned from our first trip to CTI. Not our first to a "couples" though. We had a great time. The staff was fabulous. We never had an issue with no coffee in the morning. There was not one day that there was no coffee. I will say that right at 7:30 when it first openend I did go to the big urn to get my own, but that was because the servers were still busy getting set-up. They always refilled my cup without problem. Our only issues were with the noise at night also because we were above the piano bar, so we decided if we can't beat them, join them and had a fantastic time down there. Next time, we will pack ear plugs to take along. The only other issue was that the Ice Machine on the 2nd floor in building 3 never was fixed and I know it was reported. Oh well, I needed the exercise anyway to walk off all the calories and so went to the bar to get ice and never a problem. It was always available. I also got the wrong size T-shirts, but they did exchange them for the proper size a couple of days before we left, so no problem for us.
    Thank you Couples,
    Karin and Jim

Paul - you probably didn't notice the repeaters dinner being loud because our table was the one making it loud!

Andrea

wantabeinjamaic, I have to agree with u. I have said that several times. I am trying to stick with my original choice of CTI. I choice it mainly because, of the horseback rididng. No one has said anything about that. I am saying that vacations have good and bad but, all the things that people have said, have been constant. The restaurant reservation system, booking tours, smells, noise levels, and no coffee @ breakfast time. We will be 1st-timers, and I want to make sure that we choice the best resort for our vacation. I definitely don't want the experience that KandS had. That would not be good!

I enjoyed 8 Rivers. The repeaters dinner was a little loud, but I'm sure I was contributing. I never had a problem with coffee, tables, mimosas, bloody marys....lol

I loved the spa, but was so confused by two signs: "coed steam room" and "coed jacuzzi." First of all, there was a steam room and jacuzzi on each side, and second, each side is attached to dressing rooms, sinks, showers, bathrooms, etc. Now, I don't mind coed steam room, etc., in fact I enjoyed hanging out talking to my husband in the steam room, but what was I supposed to do re: undressing, showering etc., if someone else decided to visit that side of the spa? I did the best I could, and I don't mind a coed environment, but what if someone else minds? It makes for an awkward situation.

Also, we had a "premier ocean" class room in Block 3, and I seriously doubt any part of the actual room was TOUCHED in the renovations. I was rather disappointed - this is the highest room class before you get to the suite level and aside from maybe the flooring (which I can't even recall), there were no improvements.

We experienced many of the same problems at CTI in January. Not having been there before the renovations, we did not realize they had changed the floor coverings in the hallways. We were in a Premier Ocean on the 2nd floor and the noise at night was just awful.
    We spent very little time in the piano bar because of the temperature. Every night we hoped it would be warmer (and bearable!) but no luck. It was like sitting in a meat locker, even the smell!
    Thank goodness we went to CSS for trading places! It was heaven and we moved there the next day. From now on it will be either CSS or CSA for us, no traffic outside your door.

spice505: I know what you mean! I know that the first time we were in Jamaica we went to CN. It was incredible! Then on our second trip two years later, it wasn't nearly as good just ok. We actually stayed away for a little while and visited other resorts in other places. We love Jamaica though, and read great things about CTI. We even cancelled plans to go to Mexico to go on this trip.

I am wondering if some of the negative comments are from that kind of situation ie..expectations are set too high on the second visit somewhere, etc.. Regardless, going some where when people that recently returned are naming so many problems really worries me. I mean if I had won a trip to a resort then I would have to take what I got, but I'm like you when you are planning a big trip and paying what we are paying you really want it to be as close to perfect as can be. I feel like the resort and it's employees should have that goal, and it sounds like in most cases they do. Having said that, I'm not one of those people that complain about every little thing, and I know that loud noises are just part of people having fun. I'm not bothered by that at all. If several people are mentioning the same kinds of problems such as foul odors, no coffee, bad reservation system, rude employees, some rooms not being refurbished, etc... then this sounds like a management issue that needs to be addressed and corrected immediately. I know that I read a post today saying the reservation system would be fixed, and that makes me feel better. All of the other issues need to be taken care of as well. I still don't know what to do, but I am always talking about how great Couples Resorts are. I really just want to love CTI too! We will probably end up going to CTI since we are already booked, but I truly hope that these problems will be worked out and it's no big deal.

I understand exactly where you are coming from! Our trip to Swept Away was just wonderful and we were expecting the same experience at CTI. We knew not to expect the great beach but from what I had read, service, food and accomodations are pretty consistent at all of the resorts. We did not find this to be the case at CTI. We were there for anniversary week so it was a full house. The intentions of the staff were there but they really dropped the ball when it came to details.
    Our room assignment was incorrect and I had to go to the computer lounge to print my email to prove it to them before they would move us. Moving rooms seemed to make us invisible! No turndown service for 3 of the first 4 nights, we literally had to bug them for our repeaters gifts,t shirts, massage vouchers and gift shop credit. The strange thing was each item arrived seperately. We would get one item and then have to go back to the desk and another would arrive. We never did get our anniversary t shirts like everyone else or the written invite to the repeaters dinner.
    When an oversight was brought to their attention, it was handled well but there were just so many! Not what we expected after our experience at CSA last year.

What a great review. We found the same negatives as yourselves when at CTI 5 weeks ago. At breakfast not only did we not get coffee until we had almost finished (many a time we tried to get it ourselves only to find that the containers were empty) but we had to wait ages to get a table in the first place. On a number of occassions we eventually had to sit at a dirty table and eventually flag someone down to re-lay it. The piano bar DID have a very strange smell in it and was freezing.
    Although we really enjoyed our repeaters dinner, the manager on our table was constantly on her mobile phone, which we felt quite rude.
    Although we enjoyed our visit to CTI, we would not return.

This is all a little disappointing seeing that after having been to all of the Couples resorts, CTI has been our favorite (CSA is a close second). We are headed back for CTI #5 in 2 days. I'm hoping that maybe these are anomalies and not the norm. Knowing Couples, they will fix many of these concerns. We did however, have the same negative experiences at CSS and said we would not return. But now I'm thinking that someone has had experiences like this at each of the resorts, because not everything can be perfect all of the time.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    This is all a little disappointing seeing that after having been to all of the Couples resorts, CTI has been our favorite (CSA is a close second). We are headed back for CTI #5 in 2 days. I'm hoping that maybe these are anomalies and not the norm. Knowing Couples, they will fix many of these concerns. We did however, have the same negative experiences at CSS and said we would not return. But now I'm thinking that someone has had experiences like this at each of the resorts, because not everything can be perfect all of the time.
    Wow, color me naive, but I'm not the least bit concerned. Amy, you seem way way way (did I say way?) too positive of a person to let all this stuff get to you. We're about to spend X number of days in pampered paradise. The greatest portion of anyone's vacation is what you make of it. Go into it with a great frame of mind and things seem to just fall into place.

Well lookie here, a newb reassuring a vet. Is nothing sacred anymore?
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron & Rosa 25 View Post
    Wow, color me naive, but I'm not the least bit concerned. Amy, you seem way way way (did I say way?) too positive of a person to let all this stuff get to you. We're about to spend X number of days in pampered paradise. The greatest portion of anyone's vacation is what you make of it. Go into it with a great frame of mind and things seem to just fall into place.

Well lookie here, a newb reassuring a vet. Is nothing sacred anymore?
    It must be the Jamaica Brain - I'm all out of whack!! But I really am right there with you! Not everything is perfect all of the time. If something smells, I won't go around it. If the bar is too loud, I'll join in. As long as the rum is flowing and the staff are smiling, everything be irie, mon! See you shortly!
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

I would like to answer a question posted earlier regarding new rooms at CTI versus older, original rooms.

I believe I was unclear in stating that when we checked-in, we were assigned a new room in the added wing adjacent to the original pool. We were immediately displeased with this room as soon as we opened the door due to the strong odor of fried food from the grill below.

In appearance, this new room was indeed larger and more spacious than the original rooms at CTI. However, we found the space lacking character, warmth and comfort. Much of the space was unfortunately unused and without additional furniture which would have greatly added both a sense of a 'premier' oceanfront luxury as well as enhancing the space.

Noise levels were also unacceptable in the new room. Due to being in the wing above the grill area, there were many intoxicated guests who were in search of food at a very late hour. We immediately sensed that this would be happening regularly. It also was very loud from guests returning to their rooms on this floor. We believe that hallway noise is a chronic problem throughout the renovated CTI as we also experienced this same problem in the original building room/hallway.

The most positive aspect to the new room is the extremely spacious bathroom and walk-in shower. The vanity was impressive with an oversized, modern sink and fixtures as well as having more than ample space for one's toiletries. When we changed to the original building room, we missed the spaciousness of the bathroom and its vanity.

In closing, to those who are debating whether or not to visit CTI versus the other Couples resorts, we would have to strongly advise you to visit CSA as our experience there was wonderful in many, many ways. The bugs,kinks, and flaws which are troubling to the new CTI have long since been resolved at CSA. You are guaranteed a fantastic time with minimal flaws, if any, if you should choose this location.