Default Flying out of ATL

We have an overnight layover in Atlanta and fly out at 8:30ish Friday morning. What time should we get to the airport? Drive time is no issue since we are staying at the Airport Marriott. Since I have never flown out of ATL I have no clue as to how busy is actually is.

I bet my good friend VP Lee will have a better idea idea since they fly out of ATL a lot. But in case he misses this post, I would give yourself a solid 2 hours. If it were a later flight, I'd say 3 hours.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014

CB - 2015

Busiest Airport in USA. I would allow (2) hours

You need to be checked in at least an hour before your flight since its international. With that said, ATL can be a finicky place. MY wife flies out of there several times a month, and typically, the security line is not terrible. Plan for at least 30 minutes in line, but it could be up to 45. It could just as easily be 15 minutes, but plan for longer, then relax when you get to the gate. We fly out next week, and plan on being there to check in 2hrs ahead.
    E. Lee Cunningham
    Social Technologist, GE
    Atlanta, GA

I would get there at least 2 hours before your flight just in case. We flew out of Atlanta and stayed right by the airport and two hours was plenty of time for us.

Thanks for the replies. 2 hours is right about what I was planning on. Hopefully a curbside check of the bag will be our only non-security side track.

JohnMon

Careful with the curb-side check. We tried that many years ago, only to find out that because it was an international flight, we could not check in there. Wasted 10 minutes on that adventure.

Our experience may be unique to a particular airline, and since you are flying our of ATL to MBJ, I know you are not on that airline. My guess, you are on Delta, just because they are the only ones with an 8:30am flight to MBJ.

In ATL, Delta runs a separate desk for international check-ins. In years past, we have not had to wait more than 20 minutes in that line, and as little as 10. Your mileage may vary.

We are trying out AirTran this year, and depending on how it goes, may be our last time using them for the MBJ flight. They just can't match the schedule options Delta has, and they managed to move our flight times a few times since booking.

ATL may be busy, but they have made a lot of improvements over the last nine years to their passenger moving efficiency. Just give yourselves the 2 hours, and you should have time for a nice snack from the great vendors in the E Concourse.

Amy was right, I seem to have WAY too much info on this topic.
    Last edited by VP Lee; March 29th, 2010 at 04:22 PM.
    E. Lee Cunningham
    Social Technologist, GE
    Atlanta, GA

Quote Originally Posted by VP Lee View Post
    JohnMon

Careful with the curb-side check. We tried that many years ago, only to find out that because it was an international flight, we could not check in there. Wasted 10 minutes on that adventure.

Our experience may be unique to a particular airline, and since you are flying our of ATL to MBJ, I know you are not on that airline. My guess, you are on Delta, just because they are the only ones with an 8:30am flight to MBJ.

In ATL, Delta runs a separate desk for international check-ins. In years past, we have not had to wait more than 20 minutes in that line, and as little as 10. Your mileage may vary.

We are trying out AirTran this year, and depending on how it goes, may be out last time using them for the MBJ flight. They just can't match the schedule options Delta has, and they managed to move our flight times a few times since booking.

ATL may be busy, but they have made a lot of improvements over the last nine years to their passenger moving efficiency. Just give yourselves the 2 hours, and you should have time for a nice snack from the great vendors in the E Concourse.

Amy was right, I seem to have WAY too much info on this topic.
    All good info though! I forgot about the international flight status, I just came home from Vegas last week so I still have domestic travel in my head. 2 hours will be the optimum time.

We are on Delta and are doing the layover deal because even with the cost of the hotel it's still way cheaper. The nonstop option was there though.

Yes, i'd go with 2 hours too. Your flight will be leaving out of Concourse E (the international concourse) which is the concourse furthest away from the main entrance. The train system (aka APM or Automated People Mover) is very fast, efficient and easy to use.
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=