Default recent CN trip March - changes from Fall '09

Here are a few details we noticed in our recent trip. Per tradition, tip of the cap to Tigger and note this is not for readers weary of details.

• Large Blue Couch/lounge sets - on the boardwalk on each side of the Pool bar
    • Environmental contest between staff - by the BG bar, set up game-show style with Kitchen vs Laundry, Accounting vs House Keeping, etc.
    • Movie on beach - has returned (Friday PM)
    • More frequent volleyball - back to 11AM and 4PM beach and 2PM pool, for every day
    • Red Flag markers - various spots along sidewalks to warn of hazards
    • Blue Shower Gel - is back
    • Cassava buffet steamers - no covers, use overhead heat lamps instead
    • Drink Menu at BG, Pool, Main bars - new flip chart style laminated cards
    • Lobster at Lychee on Friday - previous trip excluded Lychee for some reason
    • Steel Band at 1PM on Pool Deck - not the mento band, this was a huge ensemble that management told us was brand new
    • New Hand Dryer at bathrooms by Lychee and beach side of spa - not the typical airport-style dryers, are fancy contraptions
    • Related to above dryers - the paper towels were removed (part of going green presumably)
    • No smoking at Cassava nor at Heliconia
    • Pool Hours removed from signs at hot tubs and Pools
    • Repeat Guest T-shirt - same front, different back
    • Environmental Trivia - as a guest activity, different from the above staff contest
    • Otaheite Restaurant reservations 2 days in advance - as opposed to the previous 3 (not convinced this is an actual rule - they are new)
    • New Operations Manager - from CSA (also Nigel transferred to CSA)
    • Large hand sanitizer bottles - at Cassava buffet, Beach Grill counter, and Internet Cafe
    • TimAir in Main MBJ terminal - others (Smilemon? correction - Yazmon) have noted this but new to us
    • Entertainment Team - all new except Travis and Simone (Lead)
    • Baby Woodpecker - on the beach near self-serve bar (OK, that's just plain silly, albeit it factually true)
    • BG bar has a dishwasher - to free up bar staff from cup washing for more chatting (or drink mixing as one prefers)
    Last edited by rudi; April 2nd, 2010 at 12:36 AM. Reason: add dishwasher

2 pics of changes.

The new flip chart drink menu.

The Environmental Quiz Show Contest.
    (That's Everod as emcee, Konrad as one of the judges for Kit. vs. Laundry. Questions were incredibly difficult and they took it very seriously)
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by rudi; March 30th, 2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: correct name spelling

Hi Rudi,
    Repeat Guest T-shirt - same front, different back
    PLEASE post a pic of the back of the repeat guest T Shirt....
    Thank You !! A & F
    Art xo Francine

Quote Originally Posted by Art and Francine View Post
    PLEASE post a pic of the back of the repeat guest T Shirt....
    Here's the back of the new one and also the back of the prior (which I think you have - who knows maybe you already have the new one). New one is bolder logo, much larger and simple.

Also here is the new front. It actually is slightly different - same type logo but darker and filled in.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thank You Rudi, Art was right... You are The BEST!!!
    Art xo Francine

thanks for all the info - I'm sure there will be more changes before we get back to CN in Dec.

thx
    Last edited by rudi; April 15th, 2010 at 02:15 PM.

The week of April 4th-11th they temporarily relocated the computers to the game room, removed the old flooring from the computer room, painted and layed tan colored tiling. At the same time, they set up large tents on the deck and moved the beach grill outside to sand the floors - maybe doing more - not sure.

Mike & Jean

We are so happy to hear about the new no-smoking policy in the restaurants. Good move on Couples part.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

mjd - thanks for the info about the flooring.

For some reason they seem to have issues with wood flooring. GM Karen told us that was one reason they delayed opening Lychee - they originally put in wood flooring and then ripped it out to put in tile. They also removed wood flooring from Otaheite and replaced it with tile (which unfortunately can make it incredibly loud if there is a boisterous group or two).

I hadn't noticed the beach grill flooring needing sanding but am glad they are taking care of it (assuming you mean the dining area - you may mean the kitchen).

The boardwalk is what really needs sanding or replacing. I see splinters all the time and have seen guests get splinters (Pamela recently posted about one). To their credit, we have seen a board or two replaced, but we've wondered when the whole board walk will get done.

Quote Originally Posted by rudi View Post
    2 pics of changes.

The new flip chart drink menu.

The Environmental Quiz Show Contest.
    (That's Everod as emcee, Konrad as one of the judges for Kit. vs. Laundry. Questions were incredibly difficult and they took it very seriously)
    We were there in March also and I noticed the flip chart drink menus the last day we were there. Nice change from the bulky binders!

I also saw the quiz thingy going on but didn't know what they were doing - I was actually looking to cash in my Jamaican $$ at the auction and saw them doing the game. No one (staff or guests alike) really seemed to be too interested in it though. I thought it was odd, didn't look to be interactive with the guests...

Quote Originally Posted by jerzzgirl View Post
    I also saw the quiz thingy going on but didn't know what they were doing -
    I thought it was odd, didn't look to be interactive with the guests...
    We wondered if we had missed a notice about it. We never saw one but did see the contest twice (Friday and Tuesday) and it was such an elaborate set up (Emcee stand, judges' table, scorekeeper stand, functioning buzzers and answer lights). Why go through such an effort and host it in a highly guest trafficked area if not meant to be watched? We did actually see 2 or 3 couples watching one day but thought there'd be more.

The winning team gets some type of prize (a trip??) and our guess is that this is a way to get the entire staff knowledgeable about environmental issues whilst having fun with it.

Oh - we like the flip chart drink menus better too. (S. Rose's idea).