Default What school supplies to bring?

I'm a 2nd grade teacher and would like to bring some school supplies for the children of the school that CSA adopts. What supplies should I bring? Thanks!

We usually bring crayons, markers, glue sticks, pencils, pens, erasers, pencil sharpeners, anything lightweight. The zipper pencil pouches are nice. With the luggage weight restrictions it's hard to bring paper. We stock up during the back to school sales in the Fall. After we donate the school supplies we have room in our suitcases to bring home souvenirs. Since you are a teacher you might want to try to visit the school yourself. Guest Services can help arrange a visit if you are interested.

I also have a question about school supplies. We're bringing pencils, glue sticks, pens, tablets and folders. I read a post that said it may not be a good idea to personally bring them to the school because it take away for the children learning. Is this true? What should we do with the supplies? I also read a great idea of getting a story book and writing a note on the inside and even putting a post card from my home in it. I would like to personalize it, but how do I know what school will get it? TIA for your help!

Go to your local Dollar Store......
    Last year I found coloring books, books with stickers to srick on, crayons, markers, etc. Buy anything and everything you can, and, at the dollar store, you can spend $50 - $60 and get more than you can carry.

Now, a note about future planning (if you are returning next year) ....... When school starts next August, go to Wal-Mart, you can get tons of stuff for next to nothing and store it away.

Also, this year, everytime I go to Wal-Mart, I go to the toy sections and buy one small toy ($2-$8) and store them away. It never really effects the amount that I spend, but you would not believe how much we have to take to the children this year......think about how many times in one year you go to Wal-Mart????? It really adds up!!!!
    Peace, Love, and Respect
    Billy
    CN 2002, COR 2007, CTI 2009, 2010, 2011
    CTI June 4-15, 2012

kak2836 -

Our daughter is also a grade school teacher, and one year asked her fellow staffers if they wanted to get rid of any classroom supplies at year's end (we were headed to SweptAway in May). We carried about 20 classroom posters with us that year, for which the teachers at Mt. Aerie were most appreciative.

As you know, books probably go further than any other teaching aid, as they can be used again, and again, and again.

Bless you...
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Default School Supplies

Wow that is a great idea. I did not know that CSA did this. I am going to CN in May. Does anyone know if CN does this also. I would love to bring some supplies since I am a Pre-K teacher.

Default School supplies

I can not advise the best thing to do, but I can tell you what we did this last year. We brought a separate suit case, large and filled it with books and supplies. We went to the local resale shop here and spent less than $75 on over 200 various books for ages 4 - 10. We then went and purchased pencils, markets, etc to fill every little knock and cranny in the suit case. yes, we had the advantage that because of the way we flew we didnt have to pay for the extra suit case. We also then packed a separate smaller package for on eof the employees that has become very close and special to us that has a little girl. We presented those items to her for her girl ( of course through the resort so management knew and approved of it. )

We left all the books we brought with the management of the hotel and asked that they donate them as needed to all the employees that had children going to school.

I can tell you it was very well appreciated, numerous employees came up to us before we left to say thank you, and we even received some e mails from some of the children saying thank you.

Last hint : When we arrived and went through immigration, we got to customs, there was a LONG line to go through " nothing to claim". We walked right up to items to claim, they asked what we had to claim, we told them a suit case of used books to donate to the schools and some chocolate bars. She smiled, and said, No problem mon, and waved us right through. Got to down 2 red stripes before the people in the other line caught up to us.

amershon...

I'm fairly certain that all the Couples resorts have adopted one or more schools.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Default Couples Negril school supplies

amershon: Yes, Couples Negril sponsers a school. Opal in Sales arranged for us to visit Esher Primary School. We arrived just as school started. All of the students gather for announcements and each grade picks a song to sing before classes start. It was a great experience.
    Last edited by Sueboo; May 3rd, 2010 at 08:58 AM.

Does anyone know if we can do the same at CSS? We were planning on bringing goodies/trinkets for the staff anyway (instead of tipping), and thought we could give school supplies to the staff to give to their own children. I didn't realize there was another way. Should I just go ahead with the school supplies and ask when I get there?

I always swore if I ever went back to Jamaica, I'd bring a whole suitcase full of SHOES. Has anyone ever done this, and what do you do when you get there? We went to the falls on a cruise one year, and driving in the bus and seeing the poverty and so many without shoes - just about broke my heart.

We're going to CSS in 9 days and I've collected a number of items that I hope will be useful based on previous posts. We're bringing flip flops, medicine (ibuprofen, allergy meds, cough meds, etc), some children's books, coloring books w/ crayons and chocolate bars. Does anyone have any other suggestions for adults too besides what I've collected? Also are pencils better than pens for the kids?

We bring T-shirts and baseball caps for the guys, toiletries for the ladies. We were told by female staff member that fingernail polish is expensive in Jamaica and the ladies love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sueboo View Post
    We bring T-shirts and baseball caps for the guys, toiletries for the ladies. We were told by female staff member that fingernail polish is expensive in Jamaica and the ladies love it.
    Thanks for sharing. I will be picking up a few bottles of nail polish.

Wow! Great idea. I didn't know the Couples Resorts are involved in child development as well. Kudos to them for this!