Default Need Help Ranking the Couples Resorts Please!

So, my wife and I have never been to Jamaica. We have narrowed it down to (probably) one of the Couples resorts. I know they are all different, so I'll tell you what we like and I would appreciate if you could rank each of the 4 (that you've been to) in order from best (4) to worst (1) in each category.

We are looking for a relatively quiet (adult only obviously) place to relax. I'd be happy if there was some nightlife latenight at the bar but there doesn't have to be anything crazy. Most importantly, we want BEAUTY -- I want a breathtaking view from my room and from the beach. Please rank each property best (4) to worst (1) in each of the following. I have listed the categories in order of our importance.

1. OVERALL BEAUTY - Best views from the rooms, most beautiful beach, most beautiful water, scenery, etc.

2. FOOD - I have actually been to a few AI's with great food and my wife and I are kinda food snobs. So, this would be based ond food quality and variety.

3. ROOMS - From the pictures it seems like the couples are a little dated. Please rate on room style, comfort, cleanliness and space.

4. SERVICE - This isn't a huge deal to me, but who has the best service, friendliness, beach/pool service, etc.

5. POOL - Not as important as the beach, but would be nice to have a nice big pool with a swim-up bar.

You can use initials to rank each. For example:
    CN-4 CSS-3 CSA-2 CTI-1

If you haven't been to all, please just provide input on what you do know.

THIS IS A BIG HELP!! THANKS!

We've been to all of the Couples resorts...........

CSA - 1, CTI - 1, CSS - 1, CN - 1

This is a loaded question because everyone on here has their favorites so every resort is #1 and every resort is also #4. Check out the websites for each resort, the sample menus, the activity lists, the panoramic pics. Then go to the resort that calls to you.

Here are some quick differences:
    CTI - Completely private beach, yet small; separate island for nude sunbathing, 5 restaurants including Bayside that sits on the water; the most inclusions (Dunn's River, catamaran cruise, horseback riding in addition to the others). Only 5 buildings (3 are connected) with rooms so the resort is very compact and intimate. Everything revolves around a central location. Just underwent a $30 million renovation - new rooms, new decor, new pools, etc.

CSS - the newest to the Couples resort, but not the newest built. It used to be a Grand Lido then Couples bought it. Also have a completely private beach. Separate beach for nude sunbathing. Resort is spread out and built on cliffs. It's split into 3 different levels, lots of steps throughout. Lots of foliage and hidden spots. Does not offer a catamaran cruise. 3 restaurants but room service. All rooms are suites with mini bars. Rooms are more hotel like as far as the decor.

CN - Sits in Bloody Bay which it shares with 3 other resorts and public beach access. Separate section of main beach used for nude sunbathing. Individual buildings throughout the resort for the rooms. All on beach level. Somewhat spread out. Huge main pool with swim-up bar. Rooms decorated in bright colors. Room service only in select room categories and it must be ordered a day in advance. All rooms have mini bars.

CSA - Sits on 7 mile beach. Separate buildings for rooms that are cabana like, dark wood and white linens. Resort is spread out along the beach but all on beach level. Only resort with rooms right on the beach where you can walk off your first floor patio into sand. Night Club. Some rooms do not have televisions. 5 restaurants. No nude sunbathing option. Huge sports complex across the street.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

For beauty as in sunsets, water, and beach you won't beat CSA. Negril is just nicer tha everywhere else in Jamaica to me. The food, spa and service is probably equal. The rooms are nicer in Ocho Rios I think but we didn't spend much time in them anyway. I liked the balconys and less hotel like feel of CSA better. And the beach size at CSA is bigger than any other resort I have ever been to.

My vote I CSA beachfront verandah suite for you.

You have written an interesting post and it will be interesting to see the answers: (And I'm just putting them in order of best to "worst")

My opinions (Note: I have stayed at 3 of the 4 Couples and visited one on a daypass (CN))

1. a. overall resort beauty: CSS, CSA, CTI, CN
    b. best views from rooms: CTI, CSA, CSS
    c. beautiful beach: CSA, CN, CTI, CSS
    d. scenery: CSS, CSA, CTI, CN

2. CSA, CTI, CSS. (Can't comment on CN, only had lunch there, but it was good.)
    3. Rooms: CTI, CSA (that was really close), CSS
    4. CTI, CSS, CSA
    5. CN, CSS, CTI, CSA

As a side note: CSA is our favorite resort and CTI runs a VERY close second.

Just go to CSA.

I know this will be no help at all to you, but I would rank every thing at every resort a 4....However I will add this....Service from the staff is best at CTI and CSA and the new swim up bar at CTI is a blast. We also found the piano bar at CTI better than that at CN for latenight fun.

No matter which one you choose, you will have a PHENOMENAL time. Relax and enjoy!!!
    Peace, Love, and Respect
    Billy
    CN 2002, COR 2007, CTI 2009, 2010, 2011
    CTI June 4-15, 2012

Hi Superfly1976; we've only had the opportunity to go to CN (last October), but have booked to return this November. We have travelled a far bit; this resort was by far the best place we have ever been. My review is posted under the CN home page...take a look for all our comments. The beach is beautiful, the food "out of this world". The rooms are eclectic Jamaican charm, service--couldn't be better. The pool was gorgeous with a swim up bar, however we are beach people and spent all our time on the waterfront. There really was not one thing to complain about. I'm sure whichever Couples resort you choose, you'll have a great time. I know we can't wait to return...November is a long way off

Well as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!
    We have been to CSA and CSS-We were also at CTI pre-renovations so I don't feel qualified to comment on the resort as it is now.
    Over all beauty-Both are beautiful in their own way but breathtaking views CSS wins. However, CSA has a much better beach and is in my opinion more beautiful than CSS.
    Food-It is a tie-Both get a 4
    Rooms-We actually like the rooms better at CSA because of the huge balconies. They are however very simple and quaint. Rooms at CSS were larger and had a jaccuzzi tub.
    Service-Excellent at both.
    Pool-Both have swim up bars. Never used the pools

As for quiet, you will find it quieter at CTI and CSS as they are on a private beach. There is however less nightlife choices at these resorts.

Good luck in your search but I have a feeling the answers you get here are only going to confuse the issue as one persons diamond is another persons lump of coal!

Not having yet stepped foot on a Couples property, I can't offer any rankings based on experience. But I can rearrange your rankings to fit our personal criteria:

1. FOOD/DRINK
    2. SERVICE
    3. ACTIVITIES (huge additional criteria for us)
    4. ROOMS
    5. POOL/BEACH
    6. OVERALL BEAUTY

1 thru 3 easily dominate our expectations list. I think it's important to have a nice, comfortable room & bed with the usual amenities, but we really won't be spending a great deal of time there. The pool, beach, overall beauty, etc are all very important as well, but serve more as compliments to the big picture.

BTW, good luck with your choice of resort, altho it really doesn't matter, since all four of them are super top notch.
    Last edited by Ron & Rosa 25; March 31st, 2010 at 03:53 PM.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Having been on this message board for so many years,I will share "my' opinion..I have read so many posts on this message board about all four of the Couples resorts..I have for years read the reviews on the Trip advisor.My opinion only coming.

We have stayed at CN,CSS and CTI..Been to CSA twice on day passes.

The four resorts are so different..So very different that all offer a best of something.

Taking "everything" into consideration(EVERYTHING)I would rate the four resorts in this order.

#1..CN.....Couples Negril
    #2..CSS....Couples Sans Souci
    #3..CTI....Couples tower Isle
    #4..CSA....Couples Swept Away

Hugs

We are almost exactly opposite of Tommywommy

#1 being the best - tie between CTI & CSA
    #3 CN
    #4 CSS

I will be surprised if many people's lists are the same. The #1 ranking is in the eye of the guest and varies based on what defines a "perfect" vacation to you.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!

Overall Beauty ~ CSS, the grounds are incredible. CSA runs a close second.

Food ~ All four are excellent. Lychee at CN is our favorite.

Rooms ~ Realize that Couples resorts decorate their rooms with island flair, not marble and glitz. The rooms really are not dated or worn out. CSA has fabulous rooms right on the beach, but I give CSS the nod for the most breathtaking views from the rooms.

Service ~ They all have excellent service.

Pool ~ All have swim up bars. CN has the largest pool with CSS & CTI a close second.

If AN is not important to you and you are a beach person, then I would choose CSA. If AN is important to you and you are a beach person than I would choose CN, but you don't get a 'breathtaking views' from your room at CN, so if you are AN and not a beach person than I would choose CSS.

Our 'ranking':

1. CN
    2. CSS
    3. CSA
    4. CTI
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

I have only been to CN and CTI, but here are my views.

Overall beauty: CN
    Most beautiful beach :CN
    View from room: CTI
    Food: CN
    Rooms: CTI
    Service: Equally superb at both CN @ CTI
    Pool: CN
    Overall preference: Definately without a shadow of doubt CN wins hands down.

This was very interesting! I look forward to seeing more posts to this one since, I have never been. I will be using this to decide if we r going to stay were we r presently (CTI) or choice a different location.

If you've already made your choice, stick with it. All of them are so great you could second guess yourself until the sun sets.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!

Quote Originally Posted by spice505 View Post
    This was very interesting! I look forward to seeing more posts to this one since, I have never been. I will be using this to decide if we r going to stay were we r presently (CTI) or choice a different location.
    Glad you got value out of this, and I didn't mention it in my initial response to the OP, but IMHO, his research approach is perfect, being that he is first determining which features, services, attributes, etc matter most, and only after that does he seek which resorts best meet the various criteria. Of course I think it's perfect because I took the same approach, so perhaps there's just a weeeeeeeee bit of bias in my opinion.

But seriously, I think if everyone would go this route, it would then be simply a matter of time before one of the four properties pretty much falls in their laps. Know what you want, then seek out which one fits the bill.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Ranking are subjective and each person has their own criteria so I don't know how much asking for rankings will help you. For what its worth I much prefer CSA over CN. I have not been to the Ochi side yet so I can't help there.

I have stayed at all 4 resorts, 4 times CSA, with the 5th coming up, 3x CN, 1x CSS and 1x CTI. If I have to rank them:

1. CSA
    2. CTI and CSS
    3. CN

But if you as me tomorrow the 2nd and third might change! CSA will always be # 1 for us. Great beach, great food and I love the rooms and grounds.
    Just 27 more sleeps till I head south!

Quote Originally Posted by spice505 View Post
    The opinions of others are nice, but are predictably quite varied. I'd recommend researching the facts, looking at pictures, and choosing the one that calls to you. With that being said, here are my number ones, with it being noted we've never been to CSA:

Beauty - CSS

Rooms - CSA (only seen pics, but love the atrium suites.)

Food - CN

Service - CTI

Pool - CN

And if you want my opinion on:

Beach - CN/CSA (love the calmness of bloody bay and the fewer resorts that sit on it, but it looks like there is a lot of cool stuff on long bay.)

AN Option - CTI-1, CSS-2, CN-3

Bruce and Kelli
    Fort Worth, TX
    CN 2006, 2008
    CTI 2009, 2010, 2011
    CSA 2014!

we've only been to couples negril, going back for our 5th visit in May. awesome place to lay back and chill. i'm 52 and i love it.
    plent to do and plenty not to do.

Because everyone's definition of a romantic wonderful vacation are different, and we have only been to two of the resorts, I won't rank. I will tell you what brings us back to CTI for our 4th trip this summer.

The romance, small private beach, peacefulness, awesome food, superb staff, beautiful ocean views, leaving the balcony doors open and hearing the waves hitting the shore or the sea wall at night and the private island for A/N sunbathing.
    Vicky

Okay everyone, we have decided to stay with our original choice of CTI. My husband says he's going crazy! I have decided that people like the resort they like for their own reasons. Just like u said Amy, I am second guessing myself to death. My co-worker just came back from CTI on Friday 4/02 and she had a fabulous time. I must add that she decided to go to Couples and stay @ CTI because, I advertised her of the resort after my husband & I booked. She has raved about Couples and their experience all week. She also know what I like and said that I will love every minute that we r there. So with that I have come to believe that I have made the right decision. So no more second guessing for me. Thanks everyone for putting up with my undecided self and helping me to decide.