Default Liquor limit question

What is the limit on the amount of wine/liquor you can bring back into the US? The duty free stores will sell you whatever you want, but I don't want to have a problem when we get home.

You won't. You can buy 2 liters of alcohol and bring it home without paying duty, provided one of them is manufactured in the Caribbean Basin. But thats not to say you can't purchase and bring home more. Just be prepared to pay the duty on arrival.

Of course, this can be a bit time consuming; but still, that's not a reason to fear. Generally, the Customs agents won't have an issue with an extra bottle or two, and will usually let them slide. That's not a guarantee, but unless you give them reason to do otherwise, the Customs agents don't have the time for such things, especially when there are a number of flights coming in at the same time.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

I also heard, AFTER we returned in 08, that there's not a limit on Rum Cream. Does anyone know if that is true?

Quote Originally Posted by r&cford View Post
    I also heard, AFTER we returned in 08, that there's not a limit on Rum Cream. Does anyone know if that is true?
    Yeah I think that is the case, it is less than 40 proof so it does not count. I have brought back 4 liters before.

r&cford:

I can't say that there isn't a limit on rum cream or not. I do know that the duty rate is less (lower alcohol %age).

And, to confirm what Chris said, you can take back more than the specified amount, just be sure to declare it. At worst, they'll make you pay duty/tax on it, which isn't that much; more likely, they won't bother, but YMMV. (If you don't declare it, and they find out you have stuff, the odds of making your connecting flight are very slim... hint hint!!)

First look at the US customs web site it will tell you, all the restrictions which is 2 liters duty free, after that you pay a duty of 3%, but can bring more in, depending on your port of entry, meaning which state you fly into. The State you fly into can have more strict laws than the federal laws, like no more than 1 gallon of spirits, or 2 cases of wine, or 2 cases of beer, as is the case for Georgia in which we are flying into, but this is the maximum limit you can bring in, you are subject to not only duty tax over the federal duty free but also an excise tax over the state limits of 1/2 gal of spirts, 2 cases beer, 1/2 gall of wine. You have to not only check the federal customs laws but also the state laws of the state you will first land in to go thru customs. Its kindof a pain and every state is different and its somewhat difficult to find. Get used to using your browsers search functions, and searching. Ive heard alot of people say this about rum cream being no limit but I cannot believe it, it has to fall under one of these restrictions, just maybe not the spirits one. maybe considered a malt liquer or something so can have equal to 2 cases of beer or something like that.
    Anyway thats the long story answer to the question. Federal customs law is easy, the problem is that state laws can trump the federal law.

Can you buy it also upon arrival in Jamaica and,if so, is that a good move? We're at CSA for 6 days, but at a non-AI for an additional 4 so wondered whether it would be better to buy it upon arrival (at the non-AI first) for consumption there?

When we where there in Sept liquor store in airport said we could buy as much banana rum we wanted w no penalty we bought four between the two of us cuz that's all we wanted so not sure if u can really buy all u want or not.
    Erin N Steve (always Erin)

Regarding the rum cream... it has an alcohol content of only 17% (34 proof), and is not classified as an alcoholic spirit. I have seen and heard of folks bringing a case of the stuff home... with varying results, some of them not so good. You would have to treat it as a checked bag, which adds to the price of the stuff (check your airline for check bag fees). But hey... as far as I know, you can't get Sangsters here in the US.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    You won't. You can buy 2 liters of alcohol and bring it home without paying duty, provided one of them is manufactured in the Caribbean Basin. But thats not to say you can't purchase and bring home more. Just be prepared to pay the duty on arrival.

Of course, this can be a bit time consuming; but still, that's not a reason to fear. Generally, the Customs agents won't have an issue with an extra bottle or two, and will usually let them slide. That's not a guarantee, but unless you give them reason to do otherwise, the Customs agents don't have the time for such things, especially when there are a number of flights coming in at the same time.
    ...When the Customs Agent asked us how many bottle we had, we told him 5 (Truth). He just shrugged his shoulder and sent us on. No problem.

Thanks for the info. We will be returning in May and will have to bring some back for my dad.

There is absolutely NO LIMIT on rum cream. We visited CSS in December and everyone at the airport (including US Customs) said there was no limit on rum cream.

If you do exceed the "limit", then you are subject to pay taxes on it, but we have brought back boat-loads of liquor after trips to Mexico and Jamaica and wrote down everything we brought back with us and have never had to pay any taxes. We actually were scolded by one US Customs agent for writing down everything we bought!

If you ever have questions, call your local customs agency, that's what we did.

So don't worry and have a great trip.

The other thing to consider is the baggage fees that the airlines are charging now. One liter of liquor weighs between 3-4 pounds (including the bottle), so if you take home a lot of liquor it will weigh down your bags and you might find yourself paying an extra $25-$50 to check the bag. In which case you've lost all the savings you realized by purchasing your liquor at the duty-free shop, and you might as well have just bought it at your local liquor store (assuming you have a local store that carries the brands you bought.)

Ah, but rocket dog... there is a catch to that. If you check your bag at MoBay, it weighs what it weighs at the checkin counter. They take your bag, THEN you shop at the duty free.

You can carry on anything you buy at the duty-free, but then you MUST place liquids more than 3 oz. into your check bag when you reclaim it prior to customs. It then gets rechecked (normally without being re-weighed).
    Chris

Thanks Chris, I was trying to remember because I didn't think they re-weighed our luggage in ATL. We're coming back through Dallas this May so hopefully it'll be the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Ah, but rocket dog... there is a catch to that. If you check your bag at MoBay, it weighs what it weighs at the checkin counter. They take your bag, THEN you shop at the duty free.

You can carry on anything you buy at the duty-free, but then you MUST place liquids more than 3 oz. into your check bag when you reclaim it prior to customs. It then gets rechecked (normally without being re-weighed).
    You may be right about that -- I can't remember! I guess I do remember that we had to pack our liquor in our checked bags at the Atlanta airport after retrieving our bags from the baggage claim. But I honestly don't recall if they weighed them again on our connecting flight home.

Can anyone confirm if your bags get weighed again at the U.S. hub when you connect to your flight home? We're flying through Charlotte, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Bump...cause I would like to know the answer to Chris' question also!

Can anyone confirm if your bags get weighed again at the U.S. hub when you connect to your flight home? We're flying through Charlotte, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

No, they do not re weigh the bags! You put the liquor in your bag after you go thru customs and then just put them on the conveyer belt for connecting flights. At least thats how it was in Atlanta when we flew home in February.

For LALAILLINOIS,

In Negril, on Norman Manley Blvd., there are a few small stores where you can buy alcohol (and snacks/food). One of them is almost across the street from the Blvd. side of CSA's great house. There are also a few "duty free" shops along the road...one being "Times Square," which is accross from Burbon Beach Night Club and another being "Sona" at the Coral Seas Shopping plaza which is located across the street from Burger King in the center of Negril. Don't buy more than you'll need for those 4 days. If it's before, you'll definately not need it at CSA and if it's after, you probably won't want to take it on the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by r&cford View Post
    We just got back from CTI, and we flew through Charlotte. They do NOT reweigh your bags. Here's the process:

1) Check in at MBJ, where they will weigh your checked bag(s).

2) Pass through customs/immigration.

3) Fly to Charlotte.

4) Pass through U.S. customs/immigration (this is where they determine whether or not you're going to be subjected to duty on your purchases. However, this is not where you actually will be assessed the duty -- they only determine whether you will be subject to additional screening later).

5) Pick up your checked bag(s) at the baggage carousel.

6) If you've been selected for additional screening and potential duty charges, you'll be directed to a special line. Otherwise, you'll skip this step.

7) Re-check your checked bags (all you do is literally drop them off at the airline counter on your way to your connecting flight -- it's not a big deal really).

8) Board your flight home.

That's pretty much it! Enjoy your trip!

One thing to consider is the luggage weight. While you don't have to check liquids on the first leg into America if purchased at the airport, you do have to check it if you purchase it elsewhere or after you go through customs if you don't live at the point of entry (not sure about domestic weight limits, however).

In any case, we learned this the hard way last year, when we had to cough up about $100 for extra weight. Since we could have split it between the bags, and since they had already put our second bag on the belt, we were stuck. I raised holy heck about it when we got home, and we got a voucher for the fee, but it was a pain, and it's a situation that could likely be avoided with a little forewarning and planning.

they will tell you how much is allowed