Default Internet-Highspeed Phone???

I have been reading on this message board for many months now waiting for our trip to draw near...15 days and counting and we will be at CN

Can anyone tell me if there is Highspeed internet in the rooms at CN? I did read something about wi-fi, but we have a phone that uses the internet connection and to call home wouldn't cost a thing...See the phone is pre-registered to a number and you can travel with the phone. We have traveled to Florida and it works great. Because it is used through the internet connection the phone doesn't know that it is ging to be in Jamaica and there fore any local home number we dial is free of charge...The only problem is that the phoe doesn't work with wi-fi that is why we need the internet connection hooked directly to the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by paulnstacey View Post
    I have been reading on this message board for many months now waiting for our trip to draw near...15 days and counting and we will be at CN

Can anyone tell me if there is Highspeed internet in the rooms at CN? I did read something about wi-fi, but we have a phone that uses the internet connection and to call home wouldn't cost a thing...See the phone is pre-registered to a number and you can travel with the phone. We have traveled to Florida and it works great. Because it is used through the internet connection the phone doesn't know that it is ging to be in Jamaica and there fore any local home number we dial is free of charge...The only problem is that the phoe doesn't work with wi-fi that is why we need the internet connection hooked directly to the phone.

Unfortunately the computers are locked in cabinets and the USB ports can't be accessed.

Bruce and Kelli
    Fort Worth, TX
    CN 2006, 2008
    CTI 2009, 2010, 2011
    CSA 2014!

There is not a CAT5 connection available, only WiFi so you're VoIP phone would not work, but you can get an MagicJack phone which plugs into your USB port on your laptop. It is something like $20/year and has free long distance. Check them out at www.magicjack.com
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

The phone does not use the USB port.. I am hoping I am explaining this right...lol...When you go to a hotel in Cnada/United States, if they offer high speed you can plug your laptop into a DSL in order for it to work through the internet. The phone hooks up the same way..

I understand what you are talking about as we use it at home. It is called Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP). You would need a CAT5 cable (not a USB) to plug into the phone adapter for it to work. Several hotels in the US offer a CAT5 cable in the hotel rooms, but Couples does not. They only have WiFi available, but if you would like a cheap solution and are taking your laptop with you, then check out Magicjack. It has an adapter that you plug into your USB on your laptop, you plug a regular phone into the adapter and wa-la, you have a phone with no long distance charges. It works just like VoIP, but you don't need the CAT5 cable to plug it into.

You also always have the choice of Skype too if you are bringing your laptop, but as Bruce said, the computer CPUs are in a locked cabinet and you would not be able to get to the CAT5 cable in there to use your VoIP phone.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come